“Beats by Dr. Dre”
May 11, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #361 of 634
SOOOOOO true. I went to best buy, ALL the display models were broken at the hindges. Talked to the best buy rep, said theyre made from plastic. PLASTIC!!! Can u believe that sheit!!! Forget sound! IF a 350$ pair of headphones are gonna break cuz MOnster is too cheap to construct decent headphones, the greatest sound wouldn't matter to me. He told me BEATS WILL BREAK! 

May 11, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #363 of 634
The plastic of the Beats' construction is major boner kill for me. Other than that, they have an alright sound. I personally think these sound much better under the Hip-Pop/Rap genre and genres alike sound wise opposed to Rock/Jazz/Samba and genres where hearing the clarity of a Trumpet or the warm tone of a Trombone section would be much more important to hear opposed to hard hitting bass.

May 12, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #366 of 634
It's funny to look at the past. People were excited about the Beats. Full of speculations. Eager for reviews. Then reviews showed up etc... life goes on... and Beats suck!

May 12, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #367 of 634

Quote:

It's actually a rather old one

Aye, I think this was one of the first given Jude's pre-release photos.

Quote:
SOOOOOO true. I went to best buy, ALL the display models were broken at the hindges. Talked to the best buy rep, said theyre made from plastic. PLASTIC!!! Can u believe that sheit!!! Forget sound! IF a 350$ pair of headphones are gonna break cuz MOnster is too cheap to construct decent headphones, the greatest sound wouldn't matter to me. He told me BEATS WILL BREAK! 

Well, in Monster's defense, the Sennheiser HD800 has a lot of plastic on it and it costs about four times as much... Although their build quality seems quite some bit better. :wink:

May 12, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #369 of 634
To be fair, I don't think HD800's will survive Best Buy for long either, given how basically anyone could come in and give them a rough handling at BB. The DJ favorites (M50, HD25-I, some of the Ultrasones) might, but actually they're plastic too. 

Quote:

Jun 21, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #370 of 634
I got beats last year for 300 euros (roughly 350) dollars. I never heard of hi-def headphones before and so I got them. They were great as I only ever bought 20, 30, max 50 euro headphones before.

They broke after 8 months though by falling 2, yes 2 feet. First, the arch at the top that says "Beats by dr dre" came off, leaving the metal cord in-beneath that carries the wires exposed and  dangerous. I had to use my towel to listen.

2 months later, they fell again by 2 foot and the sound was gone for good. I got a pair of HD350s in NY for 180 dollars and they are as good, if not better. That is roughly now 150, half the price of 300.

Jun 21, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #371 of 634

I used to love them...but not anymore.
Once i realized that i could get solid built cans for a better and cheap price, i forgot about the Dre's. 

Jun 21, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #372 of 634
well, to be honest I tried the monster headphones at best buy a couple weeks ago and they sounded okay, less you like massive amounts of bass, these aren't for you..last week, I went again, and one out of two were broken, clean of the hinge...buyer beware

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #374 of 634
There's been an epidemic of people with beats at my school, and I can see why from a description that one of my classmates gave of it. "The sound is so good and when you flick the switch at the side, everything just dissappears." From iBuds, any form of noise reduction, bass, brand and comfort would be an improvement.

I've listened to them on many occasions, but have never had a reason to write about them. If I bought one on special at $200 I would probably be upset. They're more deserving of a $100-150 price tag than the one they are currently asking for. They're quite like the descriptions that you can find online, it's as if someone just added mass to the drivers so that all they could produce is bass, and zero detail.

Jul 20, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #375 of 634

Quote:
There's been an epidemic of people with beats at my school, and I can see why from a description that one of my classmates gave of it. "The sound is so good and when you flick the switch at the side, everything just dissappears." From iBuds, any form of noise reduction, bass, brand and comfort would be an improvement.

I've listened to them on many occasions, but have never had a reason to write about them. If I bought one on special at $200 I would probably be upset. They're more deserving of a $100-150 price tag than the one they are currently asking for. They're quite like the descriptions that you can find online, it's as if someone just added mass to the drivers so that all they could produce is bass, and zero detail.

Unless Monster has changed the tuning, they were not quite as you describe when they were introduced.  I listened quite a bit to them back in the early days of their introduction, and by the second manufacturing iteration, they hit their stride, and actually were quite listenable.  Far from perfect, mind you, but not bad.  They did not noise cancel quite as well as the top line Sennheiser, (which was quite a bit more expensive) but their presentation was far more detailed at both ends of the spectrum.  They were far more neutral than the Bose QC-3.  The high end was pretty listenable, and the bass was definitely boosted, but it did not intrude much if at all into the midrange.  Overall, they were the best sounding ANC cans on the market when they were introduced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back