‘Newbie’ looking to jump into the audiophile realm
Oct 21, 2018 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

FreshFog

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I am quite new to the ‘audiophile’ scene, having only owned a LG V10 and Audio-Technica headphones before. I used to roll my eyes whenever people would rave about audio quality, but after listening to music on the V10, I shut up. That’s not even CLOSE to the best audio player on the market, but it remains, to this day, the best audio experience I’ve ever had. Only after lurking the forums here did I decide to purchase the V10 and the ATH-M50X headphones.

Fast forward to today, the V10 is dead and I need advice on what to replace it with. It’s been over a year since the V10 has played a song, and I find myself longing for hifi music more and more everyday. My budget is set in stone at $1000, and I’d rather buy an outright cell phone with a good DAC/AMP. However, the V40 ThinkQ is already receiving mixed audio statements, and the V30 is more than a year old at this point. Also, I am upgrading from an iPhone 7 this year, which is why I’d prefer to stick with a smartphone, over a dedicated DAP, as to save some money.

Please give advice as well as personal anecdotes and opinions, they will all be appreciated! Should I buy a dedicated DAP, which one would be the best for $1000 or less? It needs to have a good amp, as well as good battery life. Is there such a thing as other devices with a quad-dac, or it that only a thing on Lg’s phones? Speaking of phones, what is the absolute best phone for hifi music playback? One last thing, I need to buy this device (whatever it ends up being) and a good pair of headphones before the new year.

Oct 22, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #2 of 4
* Should I buy a dedicated DAP, which one would be the best for $1000 or less?
* It needs to have a good amp, as well as good battery life.
* Is there such a thing as other devices with a quad-dac, or it that only a thing on Lg’s phones?
* Speaking of phones, what is the absolute best phone for hifi music playback?
* One last thing, I need to buy this device (whatever it ends up being) and a good pair of headphones before the new year.

Is this a mobile only solution you're looking for? Desktop is a bit easier for "audiophile solutions," but I'll give answers for phones/DAPs for the time being.
I own an LG G7 Thinq, which has the same DAC as the v30. The DAC is wonderful, but the amp isn't exactly what I'd call loud.
As far as my brief research could find, the LG phones are the only ones with a quad DAC.
The best phone for HiFi would be the LG series phones. The model I own, the G7, was tested to be comparable/superior to some desktop models.
(I bought this phone after doing my own research on the topic.)

Are you asking for headphone advice? If so, I have some more questions:

Open/Closed:
Budget:
Usage: (Gaming, commute, work, etc.)
Sound signature preference: (Do you like things detailed with a recessed bass, or do you want them with a booming bass, a "v-shape" with louder highs and bass, etc.)
What genres of music do you listen to?
Do you only want new headphones, or are you okay with used headphones to save some money/get more options?
Do you have any more requirements I missed?

Oct 22, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for replying, yes, this is a mobile only solution. Are there any alternatives to portable hifi, other than a phone or dap? I’ve seen people complain about the G7 ThinkQ’s battery life, how would you rate it? I did a bit of research as well, using both Google and Duck Duck Go. If there are any other devices with a quad-dac, dap or otherwise, I didn’t see anything.

I didn’t know about the G7 being comparable/superior to some desktop models, that is amazing! Absolutely, headphone advice is always appreciated.

Open/closed: Closed headphones generally have a smaller soundstage than open ones, but that’s honestly the only difference between the two that I’m aware of. Are there any other pros/cons for the two that you know of?
Budget: $500
Usage: I’ll be home 95% of the time, but I will also rarely bring the headphones to work and when I travel.
Sound signature preference: Honestly, the more neutral, the better. I simply want the headphones to play the music, and play it well.
Genres: Every genre under the sun, practically. With the exception of country, rap, and classical, I listen to many different genres on a regular basis. I’ll certainly listen to the above 3 genres, but I prefer folk music and Vaporwave. I really listen to a little bit of everything. I only want new headphones, and comfort is definitely important, because my ears are a bit large. Here is a small sample of the music I listen to.

Thanks very much for the help!

Oct 22, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for replying, yes, this is a mobile only solution. Are there any alternatives to portable hifi, other than a phone or dap? I’ve seen people complain about the G7 ThinkQ’s battery life, how would you rate it? I did a bit of research as well, using both Google and Duck Duck Go. If there are any other devices with a quad-dac, dap or otherwise, I didn’t see anything.

I didn’t know about the G7 being comparable/superior to some desktop models, that is amazing! Absolutely, headphone advice is always appreciated.

Open/closed: Closed headphones generally have a smaller soundstage than open ones, but that’s honestly the only difference between the two that I’m aware of. Are there any other pros/cons for the two that you know of?
Budget: $500
Usage: I’ll be home 95% of the time, but I will also rarely bring the headphones to work and when I travel.
Sound signature preference: Honestly, the more neutral, the better. I simply want the headphones to play the music, and play it well.
Genres: Every genre under the sun, practically. With the exception of country, rap, and classical, I listen to many different genres on a regular basis. I’ll certainly listen to the above 3 genres, but I prefer folk music and Vaporwave. I really listen to a little bit of everything. I only want new headphones, and comfort is definitely important, because my ears are a bit large. Here is a small sample of the music I listen to.

Thanks very much for the help!

Are there any alternatives to portable hifi, other than a phone or dap? Not any that I know of. You either use a dedicated portable music player or a phone. (I mean, there are CD players etc, but...I think I know what you meant.)
I’ve seen people complain about the G7 ThinkQ’s battery life, how would you rate it? I've gone to the gym playing Tidal two days in a row and not had to charge my phone until I got home, but we can't use phones in my work area. The battery was fine for me, but I'm not opposed to carrying a portable charging solution anyway.

Open/closed: I compare open and closed in a few ways. Closed headphones are more like listening to a performance at a coffee shop or small venue indoors, while open are more similar to the listening experience of a concert. The closed headphones tend to have more bass, a smaller soundstage, and less instrument separation due to the first two points I mentioned. Open headphones tend to have less bass, but bass is typically more refined, and the highs are more apparent as opposed to the closed headphones. Closed are acceptable for any environment as they won't disturb those around you, while open can be like strapping speakers to your head (annoying everyone around you).

For your usage, sound signature, budget, and genre preference I'd personally recommend the Shure SRH1540. They do well with most (if not all) genres, they fit your budget, and they're closed so they can be used for commute, travel, etc. while still being enjoyable at home. Other neutral options include things like the AKG 700 series (K712 for more bass, K701/K702/7xx for more neutral options IIRC), and the Sennheiser HD600 in that price range. If you don't mind used headphones, a DT 1990 may be available for another open headphone option that fits your preferences. While I personally wouldn't get the HD600 for myself, many people love it for music similar to what you've posted. (Nothing is wrong with them, this is just a personal preference.)

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions or concerns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back