£300 budget. What should I buy (Amp / IEM / Cans / DAP) ???
Jan 10, 2011 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

FIRSTinSPACE

Head-Fier
Hi

I'm currently using an 80GB iPod Video, with all files as Apple Lossless and I use Westone 3 IEM.

I'm on a mission to get better sound quality all the time and want to improve my inventory more and more over the next year or so. Well forever.

My question is, what should I buy next in my quest for beautiful sounding music? What would be the best step to take? Most of my listening time is when I'm on the go but I want to get more into home listening!

I listen to all types of music, a lot of acoustic sounding artists and am getting in to classical.

- Full size cans, such as the AKG K701/2 (or any other high end headphones you may recommend).

- A portable headphone AMP, such as the Headstage Arrow or a Ray Samuels model like the Tomohawk (or any other you may recommend). Also, would one of these amps be a good substitute for a home sized headphone amplifier?

- A new DAP. My continuous research suggests either the Cowon J3 or Hifiman H-601/2.

- Westone 4's. A simple IEM upgrade!

Tell me, what would be the best first step. Or next few steps?!

Thanks guys,

Tom.

Jan 10, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 14
Get a decent amp/upgrade source.
Then you can go the route of better headphones.
Westone 4 really won't be much of an improvement. It won't be spectacular if you already have the westone 3.

Jan 10, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 14
Haha, that's how I feel.

I don't own any full sized headphones and were I to buy a pair, I wouldn't use them on the go - I'd stick to IEM for that. I like the W3 but am starting to crave an improvement. I do enjoy the sound they offer but feel like I need to go one level better. I would like to know whether a portable amp would improve my IEM sound to a noticeable level and also, if I get a pair of full size cans in the future, I could use the portable amp for home listening too.

Argh the pain!

:)

Jan 10, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
Haha, that's how I feel.

I don't own any full sized headphones and were I to buy a pair, I wouldn't use them on the go - I'd stick to IEM for that. I like the W3 but am starting to crave an improvement. I do enjoy the sound they offer but feel like I need to go one level better. I would like to know whether a portable amp would improve my IEM sound to a noticeable level and also, if I get a pair of full size cans in the future, I could use the portable amp for home listening too.

Argh the pain!

smily_headphones1.gif

This is going to depend really on your setup. Not all portable amps are great at driving low-impedance iems and even fewer will provide a clear improvement but only fix certain areas that you find the w3 to be lacking in.
As for an iem better than W3, there are no clear universals that will provide even a 5 percent increase in overall sound quality. Best choices though would be to go for a custom iem which have been compared favorably to even high-end full-size headphones.
Be prepared to spend some money if you go with the amp/dac/headphone route.
Or you can just try a different approach and purchase iems like the sony ex1000, fi-ba-ss. etc.

Jan 10, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #8 of 14
I think you sell both(ipod, Westone 3) and buy JH13Pro, UM Miracle or ES5 for ulitmate soundquality which rival to many fullsize headphone rigs. But if not then simply buy AMPs like D4, Mustang, XM5 and copper line out dock cable like ALO 18AWG coper dock, ALO 18AWG SXC or iBasso copper dock(BTW AMPs+Cable will definitaly improve the W3 soundquality).

Jan 11, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #10 of 14
Would the ES5 offer me a sound that will rival or even, better them? I do often dream of those customs but don't think they will fall in to my budget range any time soon.

I think a Ray Samuel amp is appealing, one which I could use with bigger headphones in the future. I just love what Ray is creating out there, it kinda gives his products an edge which is only my opinion.

Thanks for the tips so far!

Jan 11, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #11 of 14
If you're looking at amps, consider the Headstage Arrow.  I use one and I'm uberbrilliant!

Jan 11, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #12 of 14
Jan 12, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
decent DAP, decent IEM so buy a decent amp

So do you guys think a decent amp would make more of a difference sound quality wise than a new Cowon J3 (for example). My iPod Video is 4th Gen, which I believe has better sound technology than the more recent classics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back