£120 [$186] to spend on headphones. I would appreciate suggestions that fulfil the following categories:
Nov 30, 2010 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

hdizzle

New Head-Fier
- Excellent sound
- Attractive design
- Comfortable fit
- £120 budget [give or take]

Currently looking at the Bose AE2 as they fulfil the above categories. I am aware that their sound quality does not match their price tag, but I am unsure what other options are available. I've heard some of the Shure's and they are fantastic, however they are not particularly attractive.

Suggestions would be appreciated. 

Nov 30, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 16
If you're looking for headphones I'd suggest:

AKG ATH-M50
Sennheiser HD25-1 II

For IEMs,

UE Triple.Fi10
Shure SE535
Sennheiser IE8
Westone 3

but to be fair it's difficult without knowing your taste for music and any preference for sound signature. Just my 2 cents :)

edit: oops forgot the AKG ATH-CK10s :p

Dec 1, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #5 of 16
I don't know how much it cost over there, but audio technica esw9/esw9a are excellent sounding and nice looking.  The comfort are kind of subjective.  I find them to be comfortable when placed on your ears right. 

Dec 1, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
Well it's tough to tell because we don't have much to work with in your case. Do you prefer cans or IEMs? What sort of genres do you listen to and what sort of sound signature would you prefer? Without these information it's almost impossible to narrow your search :p

Right ok, you make a good point!

I'm looking for cans, listen to r'n'b, hip hop, soft rock, dance [a bit of everything!] and looking for well rounded sound, with a decent amount of bass.

Dec 1, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
I don't know how much it cost over there, but audio technica esw9/esw9a are excellent sounding and nice looking.  The comfort are kind of subjective.  I find them to be comfortable when placed on your ears right. 

Just had a look, they look amazing! Unfortunately they don't do them over here in the UK, will have to import them if I choose to buy them. Thanks for the good suggestion.

Dec 1, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #8 of 16

good luck, I hope you find something that suites you.  Oh and whatever picture you look at, the wood actually looks a whole lot better in person.
Quote:
Quote:

Just had a look, they look amazing! Unfortunately they don't do them over here in the UK, will have to import them if I choose to buy them. Thanks for the good suggestion.

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #9 of 16
Actually Iheadphones.co.uk do have them in stock.  Theres a but though and it's a biggy.  They are over a £100 of your budget. iheadphones are fine and not had any problems with them.

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #10 of 16
Appearance wise, those Boses resemble (a bit) Goldring NS1000 noise cancellation headphones. Unde £50 delivered from Play dot com.
Without batteries or with noise cancellation switched off, they might benefit from an amp (even a little FiiO) if attached to a weedy portable device. Probably fine plugged into home reveiver.
No first hand experience, I'm afraid, but seems there are plenty of contented purchasers on web.

Dec 2, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #11 of 16
A good deal within your price range would be the Ultimate Ears 700. These are dual driver earphones, which means they have a separate driver for the mids and the lows. This gives a better quality sound (although this is still open to interpretation). The phones have good reviews, look really cool and because they come with Comply tips, offer great isolation. 

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/promotional-items/devices/7005?WT.ac=ps|7005||LearnMore

That link is directly to Logitech, who own Ultimate Ears. It is for the "Blemished Box" deal, which you'll see is quite a bit less than RRP. You'll still get full warranty, and most people who've received phones from this deal have just got them in a perfect retail box (no sign of any blemishes).

Also, if you're going to buy these, put the code "ColourCollection10" at checkout to get an extra 10% off, which makes these about £71.

Dec 2, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #12 of 16
zychan1, I think you mean Audio Technica in both cases. AKG doesn't have any models called "ATH-M50" or "ATH-CK10", correct?
hdizzle: sorry for the confusion. For the record, no AKG headphones have been recommended to you thus far.

Quote:
AKG ATH-M50

edit: oops forgot the AKG ATH-CK10s :p

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #13 of 16
another option maybe, I haven't heard, but reading what some other are saying seems to meet your criteria are the Denon D1100.  These might fit you budget better I believe.

They seem to definitely have bass, not too big, simple sophisticated look to them.  Denon are usually good with comfort also.  I would check these out for your type of music. 

Dec 3, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
another option maybe, I haven't heard, but reading what some other are saying seems to meet your criteria are the Denon D1100.  These might fit you budget better I believe.

They seem to definitely have bass, not too big, simple sophisticated look to them.  Denon are usually good with comfort also.  I would check these out for your type of music. 

I second the motion. This was what I thought of when i read your post. The D1100s are stylish, have a lot of good bass, and are known to be comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back