Tin Hifi T2 Plus - Reviews
Tin HiFi T2 Plus : Vocal Delight!
Pros: Good quality bass
Airy highs
Non-fatiguing sound
Wide soundstage and decent imaging
Good natural sounding vocals
Good build quality
Cons: Electric guitar and snare drums are somewhat lacking attack/bite
Isolation could be better
No carrying case included
Disclaimer : This unit is a personal unit purchased at retail price

INTRO
When browsing the net for good budget IEMs in the market, Tin HiFi's offerings would always appear in my search results. You can easily tell them apart from the other products in the market: it spots a distinct design and silver color shell. Tin HiFi's offerings are usually praised for their sound given what it's priced at with an expansive soundstage.

On Tin HiFi's website, they advertise the T2 Plus as having a natural sound, and having an "ideal tuning for all performing musicians and sound engineers who require uncompromising reference feedback with precise imaging and accurate tonal response". Having tried the T2 a while back ago and being impressed by it, I decided to review the T2 Plus to see what it has to offer.

QUICK SUMMARY
Sound : V-shaped

Driver : 10 mm NanoPure nickel-zinc alloy Dynamic Drivers
Socket : MMCX connectors
Price : 59 USD
Where to buy it : Aliexpress

Suitable genres : Vocals, RnB, Slower-paced songs with fewer instruments

WHAT'S IN THE BOX

2 sets of each different sized eartips (S,M,L)
1 x Foam eartips (M sized only)
1 x T2 Plus earphone
1 x 4-core silver-plated Kevlar enameled soft MMCX copper cable

The accessories given has most of the essentials, and giving 2 instead of 1 set of the eartips of each size in case you lose it. When I was starting out in this hobby, I always wished earphone makers could give extra sets of eartips cause I would always lose them before. However, if you keep them properly in a case, it's hard for the eartips to fall out.

On the other hand, I find the lack of an earphone case disturbing. Most earphones that cost lesser these days usually come packed with a simple earphone case too so I don't see why it wasn't included in this. It would have made the package complete.

BUILD QUALITY

To cut Tin HiFi some slack, I really like the build quality of the T2 Plus! It is made of aviation-grade aluminum alloy, which makes the earphone not only light, but also very sturdy and durable. I also like that it feels smooth but yet not a fingerprint magnet. The MMCX connectors also holds the cable very snugly in place with no wobble of the cable. Thumbs up to Tin HiFi for the superb build quality!

COMFORT AND ISOLATION
The T2 Plus sits really well in my ears and I can feel that there is a lot of space available in the concha of my ears. Though the nozzle of the earphones are larger than the average earphone, I find myself having to use the L sized eartips for it to have a good seal (normally I use S/M sized eartips). The earphones also have rounded edges which helps with the comfort, I never feel that the earphones are poking against the walls of my ears.

Isolation isn't the strongest suit of this earphones, you are usually able to hear what is going on outside while listening to the earphone. As I am writing this review in my quiet room while listening to Diana Krall with these earphones, I can still hear the sounds of my mechanical keyboard (which uses Cherry MX Brown switches) faintly. While I was sitting at a cafe testing these earphones, the barista started the coffee bean grinder which I could immediately tell. This is probably due to the earphone having 2 holes in its shell: one to act as a bass vent for the earphones and the other probably to widen the soundstage of the earphones. However, from what I recall, I believe that this level of isolation is a step up from those on the previous T2 model.

SOUND
Overall, this earphone has a smooth and spacious sound that never fatigues the listener. I listened to this earphone for 3 hours or so and I did not get any listener fatigue from it at all. The amount of bass is generally acceptable, I personally listen to earphones that do not have a lot of bass too and this was alright. It has a 3-Dimensional level of sound to it that feels very surreal in certain songs thanks to its wide soundstage and I really like that about this earphone. To top it all off, this earphone has decent imaging, which further enhances the surreal feel and makes it sound like a tiny headphone.

This review will be done on my Cayin N6ii (T01 Module) with stock eartips and cable.

Highs
Treble on this earphone doesn't shout at you and it attributes to the non-fatiguing sound that I keep mentioning in this review. In faster paced songs however, highs tend to sound thin and it fades away quickly (fast decay). This is evident in Frederic's "Rererepeat" where the cymbals are very snappy but you tend to lose track of it when you aren't paying attention to it. Also when the cymbal crashes in the song, it doesn't have that much of an impact.

In most songs that I have tested on, high-hats/cymbals are snappy and have just enough presence for it to be noticed but it isn't quite as thick enough for it to be felt fully like in those of the Thieaudio Legacy 3.

However, the highs here are rather pleasing as it has enough air in them. When you focus on the highs, the cymbals and high-hats are of good quality: never sounding artificial and with just enough sparkle to it for it to sound good.

Mids
I realised the mids in this earphone have things that I love and have problems with so this segment would be lengthier than usual. Given the V-shaped sound of the earphones, mids are generally tucked in further behind than highs and lows. Vocals and lower mids tend to take more emphasis in this segment and they sound very natural too which I prefer.

As mentioned above, vocals sound natural and the singer generally sounds nearer to the listener than the rest of the instruments. Compared to the other instruments and sounds that fall in the mids, vocals sound the best and thus, I highly recommend this unit for vocals. Listening to Diana Krall's "The Look of Love" album on the T2 Plus is just something else, you can somehow feel the vibes of the song and it's scarily satisfying. You can hear the subtleties in vocals and the enunciation of her words in the song "Besame Mucho". Mac Ayres' "Slow Down", sounds really chill and it has a really spacious eerie feel to it, really making such slow-paced songs sound really good.

Going to the heavier side of things, rock and metal genres don't get much love from this unit. In faster paced songs and songs with more instruments, on the whole, it sounds alright but it does struggle to reproduce some minor details. John Mayer's "Something's Missing" demonstrates that the rhythm guitar is indeed missing at certain parts such as during the chorus or when there are more instruments. This also happens for Masaki Suda's "Soft Vinyl Figure" too.

However, I also noticed that this isn't the case with every song. In general, if the guitar is more pitchy or falls in the lower mid region (e.g. guitars with heavier distortion), it would then be more audible. Listen to the guitar solo segment in "ARCADIA" by Jupiter from 2:02 to 2:38, the two solo guitars and the rhythm guitar in the background is still audible on this unit despite it being very instrument heavy and lacking some bass.

I did notice this subtle detail while listening to Vulfpeck's "Cory Wong", and that is electric guitars and drums lack that bite/attack to it. Cory's guitar at 1:55 into the song doesn't seem to have that much of that unique "Twang" as compared to my other earphones. This observation also translates to the snare drums where it lacks that "attack" to it.

In all, this earphone does vocals really well but if you are intending to use this to listen out guitars or drums, it might take some effort to do so and might lack that kick to it.

Lows
Bass goes deep and has a nice rumble to it with a lot of texture that makes it really enjoyable. I notice that this bass generally hovers between the mid point of bass and sub-bass, where it does not overdo it with too much rumble but leaves you wanting more at certain times. This is not necessarily a bad thing as I believe that it would be more suitable for the general audience than tuning it to be bass heavy. Kick drums also have a nice feedback to it where you feel the kick of it.

In Polyphia's "40oz", there's a ton of kick to the kick drums and an ample amount of bass all within the first minute of the song. While the bass is being played, it doesn't mask the other instruments, making it even more enjoyable. Vulfpeck's "It Gets Funkier IV" really shows that the earphone is able to keep up: bass guitar goes deep without losing speed and you can feel the kick drums in your eardrums! Really helps to have such a bass on funkier songs.

The bass on this unit should satisfy most bass heads and listeners who are more sensitive to bass as it gives just enough to enjoy but yet, not overpowering the the entirety of the music.

OTHER NOTES
This earphone is a really interesting one as it uses its vents to provide a wider soundstage at the expanse of isolation. As you can tell, I am really impressed by the soundstage of this unit. Let me first talk about soundstage on this unit.

I happened to listen to Frederic's "Sukiraism" and I noticed that at 0:34 to 0:44, there is a faint sound in the background that comes at you at 0:44. When I first listened to this song, I thought that it was some noise that came from outside my room and was about to blame the isolation until I rewound the song and found that it was from the song. The feeling was so surreal and spacious, it was really nice! Another song that really takes advantage of this surreal feeling is Daniel Caesar's "Loose", the amount of spaciousness in this music is just unbelievable. I think it is one of the widest soundstage I have heard from an earphone at its price point. The only drawback is that isolation takes a hit, but if you're willing to compromise, I think it's a good tradeoff.

Moving on to imaging, I noticed that on songs that have been mastered well, imaging is done well. In Chon's "Can't Wait", you get a very clear image of the instrument placements and the distance of them to you. Daniel Caesar's "Best Part (ft. H.E.R)" has this sound that bounces about from the left to right channels after the first chorus to the second chorus.

CONCLUSION
The T2 Plus is an earphone with a relaxing sound signature that provides an "out-of-head" experience. It greatly excels in vocals and slow paced songs by being able to properly reproduce the feels of such songs and making it sound very spacious. The lack of a carrying case does take away some points from it. If you're looking for an affordable earphone with a non-tiring sound that excels in vocals, look no further than the T2 Plus from Tin HiFi!

(If you like my content, do check out my review site here and follow my instagram)
Reactions: Cat Music
Pros: Highly resolving – Balanced signature – New shell design
Cons: Ergonomics still need a little tweaking - Sub-par isolation - Some roughness/grain to the sound at times
Greetings,

Today we're checking out TinHiFi's newest model in their popular T Series of earphones, the T2 Plus.

TinHiFi became a sensation shortly after the release of the T2 thanks to its neutral-bright signature that was very much a novelty in the price range. With the exception of the T1 which is the warm, bassy, red-headed stepchild in the lineup, every release following the T2 has maintained the neutral-bright sound that put Tin on the map in the first place. With the T4 they added in some additional bass and dialed down the treble bit, but that bright-ish quality remained. The T2 Plus pulls A LOT from the sound of the T4, but I'll dive into that in the comparisons section.

Let's take a closer look at what makes the T2 Plus one of the better budget-minded products on the market right now.

IMGP3818.JPGIMGP3805.JPGIMGP3810.JPG

What I Hear Treble out of the T2 Plus has a light and sparkly feel to it that is in no way lacking detail. Whereas it is quite common for brands to elevate the brilliance region to artificially bump perceived detail and clarity, there is none of that going on here. It's the real deal. That said, upper treble has been restrained somewhat compared to earlier models like the T2 Pro, T3, and P1, with the focus residing mostly in the presence region. Combine this with a robust low end that we'll get to later, and the T2 Plus stands alongside the T4 as the most balanced earphone in Tin's lineup. Notes have a lean, light, and airy presentation resulting in something that feels very nimble. Regardless of how complicated a track may get, the T2 Plus holds composure giving it a very well-controlled and peppy presentation. Decay is maybe too quick and more in line with what we expect from a balanced armature. The result is something that isn't as accurate as it could be. I'm fine with that since is results in a level of technical prowess matched by few in this price range.

In line with the T1, T2, T3, T4, and P1, so nearly every earphone in the lineup, the T2 Plus has pretty damn good mids. They are linear, prominent, and are technically quite awesome. Male vocals take up most of the warmth on tap leaving female vocals often coming across a little cooler than I prefer, but for the most part they go tit for tat and neither benefits more than the other from the tuning found in this region. Clarity and detail are area where Tin products rarely falter, and the T2 Plus is no different. Fine details are retained and ready for trained ears to enjoy their nuances. The presentation is analytic without tossing entertainment value to the wayside, something that is very hard to do well. Timbre is quite accurate though a hint brighter than what I consider correct. Still, it works in the context of the overall tune and is kept from veering in the wrong direction thanks to an injection of warmth from the midbass.

Bass is an area where Tin products often get the most negative feedback and while I don't think the T2 Plus is going to satisfy those who want a powerful, robust low end, those who enjoyed the T2 and P1 but wanted a bit more emphasis will be happy little clams. Extension is stellar though subbass emphasis is on the polite side. This keeps the presentation from being too visceral but when called for, can still rumble. Midbass outputs enough texture and detail for grungy beats from the likes of Malibu Ken, but like it's relatives, is somewhat lean and only adds a smidge of warmth to the overall signature. The outstanding speed on tap keeps it fairly punchy, though not a bare knuckle punch. There is definitely some padding in place that keeps notes from hitting hard. The aforementioned speed matches another model in the lineup resulting in some of the most articulate and well-defined bass I've heard from in a single dynamic.

One area where I was expecting the find some faults with the T2 Plus was sound stage and the technical abilities that go along with it. I was very happy to hear that this is (probably) where the new 10mm “NanoPure” nickel-zinc alloy plated dynamic driver truly earns it's keep. The T2 Plus' sound stage is wide and fairly deep giving sounds plenty of room to move around. This is one of those rare earphones that makes me remove an earphone thinking I heard someone call my name, or enter the room behind me. The imaging quality is a massive step up over the T4 which was oddly subpar and well below average. Channel-to-channel transitions are nuanced and precise making the T2 Plus a good pick for somewhat competitive gaming. The excellent instrument layering and separation aid in this too since track elements rarely congest and meld together.

Thanks to the improved technical ability of the T2 Plus, the T4 hands it the “best in lineup” torch. Given the price gap between the two, that's pretty frickin' impressive and elevates the T2 Plus to one of the best value earphones in portable audio. One of... That brings us to the next section.

TinHiFi T2 Plus.jpg
T2 Plus vs. T4 - The Contraptionist.jpg

Compared To A Peer (volume matched using a Dayton iMM-6)

Moondrop SSR (39.99 USD): Comparing two juggernauts is hella tough. Both of these earphones are truly awesome offerings and probably the best things available around 50 USD. Depending on what you value, the T2 Plus is probably what you're going to want to drop your cash on if bass is what you value most in your neutral-leaning earphone. Both extend well but the T2 Plus offers up more subbass presence and a hint more texture. The SSR's midbass warmth is better carried through into the mids though, resulting is a more natural and timbre-accurate presentation. And that is where the SSR will be the pick for some. As good as the T2 Plus is in the mids, the SSR is so much smoother and more refined while giving up nothing in terms of coherence and detail. Some say it's shouty. It's forward, not shouty. The T2 Plus comes closer to being shouty thanks to the near breakup that occurs at higher volumes, but it's still not shouty. Treble quality also falls into the SSR's camp in my opinion, though the difference here isn't particularly vast. The T2 Plus is brighter and more aggressive thanks to the additional brilliance region emphasis which makes it more fatiguing than the SSR over long listening sessions, or on particularly treble heavy tracks. The SSR's presence region bias also gives it a bit more detail to my ears, though the difference is small. Both offer up plenty of information and texture. The SSR has a pretty killer sound stage but it doesn't necessarily overshadow the equally excellent T2 Plus. The SSR's vocals have a further default positioning giving it a more spacious feel off the hop. Sounds cascade further into the distance and move from channel-to-channel with even greater accuracy, but the T2 Plus sounds deeper and more layered. Instrument separation is on par.

When it comes to build I'm not sure which I prefer. The T2 Plus certainly looks cleaner with some impressively tight seams and better implemented L/R designations, but the use of MMCX is a sore point for many past TinHiFi customers. The SSR has a more industrial feel with the deep seams and prominent hex screw holding the faceplate on. I suspect it'll be the more durable of the two. I also prefer the use of standard 0.78mm plugs which tend to be more reliable. Both have great cables, though for different reasons. I'd be perfectly happy with either. Comfort of the T2 Plus is a step up from past T Series models thanks to the move to a smooth, rounded, low profile design, but the short nozzle still proves to be a bit of an issue at times. The SSR fits me perfectly, slotting into place without issue and remaining stable and comfy at all times.

Both of these are killer earphones and equally deserving of your time. The SSR is my personal favorite though. Why? The midrange is so clean and the overall presentation smooth and refined. The T2 Plus has a rougher overall feel to it but makes up for this with it's technical prowess and subbass. I would be happy with either but since I'm in a position to choose, SSR gets the vote.

BQEYZ KC2 (~45.00 USD): The KC2 has seen an odd resurgence in popularity lately. Not a bad thing because it's a good earphone, but worthy competition for the T2 Plus? Kinda. Sub-bass is handled well but despite some fairly linear measurements, doesn't feel like it's enough to properly counter-balance the midbass which sounds overly prominent, looser, less textured, and somewhat bloated next to the T2 Plus. The midrange fairs better with similar emphasis and timbre quality, though detail sits firmly in the T2 Plus camp, and in general it sounds more coherent. I will give the KC2 an edge in weight since vocals certainly sound thicker and more beefy than what you hear from the T2 Plus. I suspect this is due mostly to the presence region which sees a huge dip on the KC2 nerfing detail and clarity next to TinHiFi's newest T series model. The brilliance region sees the KC2 spike back up making it more sparkly, but also harsher and more fatiguing. Sound stage is also in the T2 Plus' corner coming across wider and deeper, backed with better imaging and improved separation, though I find the KC2 layers about as well.

When it comes to build they are both wonderfully constructed. Fit and finish on the KC2's shell is just as impressive and while the cable is significantly cheaper feeling, they went with a 2-pin design which I prefer. I also find the KC2 more comfortable and stable design being quite a bit larger and heavier.

Overall I like the KC2. Despite it's age it is still plenty competitive and am glad to see if finally getting it's dues. Still, the T2 Plus handily outperforms it in my opinion and is absolutely worth the extra cost.

TinHiFi T4 (109.00 USD): I'm going to keep this one simple; if you've been thinking of getting the T4, save your money and buy the T2 Plus instead. The tuning is nearly identical save for a slight decrease in the upper mids and presence regions on the T2 Plus that results in the perception of a bit more bass. Putting the T4 in one ear and the T2 Plus in the other, my brain quickly adjusted and compensated for the differences, save for what sounded like a very mild channel imbalance due to their sensitivity variances. The biggest gulf between the two is the T2 Plus' improvement to the imaging quality which alone is probably a good enough reason to pick it up over the T4. If the T4 had a similar shell design to the T2 Plus, I would say there was no real reason for it to remain in TinHiFi's lineup. The Plus does everything the T4 does, and more. That's high praise coming from someone that adores the T4.

IMGP3807.JPGIMGP3812.JPGIMGP3816.JPG

In The Ear The T2 Plus makes some serious headway for the brand when it comes to design and ergonomics. I find all of their past models to be attractive, well-build earphones, but each and every one has ergonomics issues; T1's nozzle is too stubby for such a broad body, T2/T3/T4 are unstable for many thanks to the length and weight distribution, and the P1 is quite heavy with proportions that lead to instability. While the T2 Plus could benefit from a longer nozzle, you can compensate with longer tips. Everything else about it is a massive step in the right direction in my opinion. The low profile, light weight, and smooth, rounded edges make it very comfortable. This is one of few low-profile designs that I don't have to fiddle with on the regular to retain a good seal.

The excellent build quality is nothing new for TinHiFi with its neatly machined aluminum alloy housings. I especially like the velvety pebbled finish, though it does make them quite slippery. Fit and finish is top tier with extremely tight seams between the two halves of the shell. The fine metal filters are neatly applied and will be a prime target for removal by tuners and tinkerers who want to “open” the sound further. Outside of TinHiFi laser printed into the top of the housing in tiny writing, there isn't any obvious branding or logo work showing off the shiny new TinHiFi earphones you're rocking. Tin once again went with MMCX connectors which will turn away some given the apparent issues with other models in the past. I've been quite lucky with mine as only the T4 had slightly sloppy connectors, though nothing near as bad as the Whizzer A15 Pro which would detach at random. The T2 Plus I have here has very tight ports with zero play or even the ability to swivel without help from the user. It feels good.

The cable is also another step back in right direction for TinHiFi. After the T3, the quality of their cable took a bi of a dive. The P1's cable had a very loose braid which screamed cost cutting, and the crinkly preformed ear guides could be annoying. The T4's cable has a loose braid too, but added in a sticky, bouncy sheath to add insult to injury. With the T2 Plus, the cable still features a loose braid but it's considerably tighter than on the T4. The sheath is much improved too. It is now extremely flexible, transmits next to no noise, isn't at all sticky, and best of all, weighs next to nothing. The straight jack has is wrapped in a fine knurling that adds a moderate amount of extra grip. It is topped off with a beefy, clear strain relief that provides ample protection from bends and pulls. Within the aluminum y-split the braiding splits with two strands heading to each ear piece. A bead-like chin cinch is present to help provide an even more secure fit if needed. Leading up to the earpieces are flexible preformed ear guides that effectively hold the cable in place behind your ear. The MMCX plugs are aluminum wrapped for style and durability, with clear and red rings at the base to help determine channel. They follow the alternative industry standard with red for right, clear for left (instead of blue).

Isolation is pretty average at best. While wearing them I can comfortably hold a conversation with someone (without music playing). The snicking of a keyboard and cars driving by my window are still audible. Slightly dulled, but still very much present. Tossing on the included foam tips helps boost isolation a bit, but not enough for these to be a recommended pick for routine transit riders.

IMGP3791.JPGIMGP3796.JPGIMGP3804.JPG

In The Box The T2 Plus goes back to Tin's roots when it comes to packaging. The neat white box with minimal branding in gold foil lettering looks classy and simple, and feels like TinHiFi of old. Inside is a neat blue box with gold accents. Sure, it's not the unique book-like case you got with the T2 and a couple other models, but it still evokes the same upscale feelings that belay the low price tag. Lifting off the lid you find the T2 Plus' shapely ear pieces nestled in a insert. The main body of the insert is foam with a cardboard backing and pleather upper surface. While it looks nice, the pleather material doesn't adhere to the foam particularly well and peels up while removing the earphones, or just naturally around the edges. Not something 99% of buyers would care about, so let's move on. Lifting out the foam insert you find the accessories individually stored in high quality, Tin branded Ziplock baggies. In all you get:
  • T2 Plus earphones
  • MMCX 4-core silver-plated 22 AWG copper cable with inner Kevlar braiding
  • Single flangle silicone tips (2x s/m/l)
  • Medium foam tips
  • Velcro cable tie
  • Manual
Overall a very nice unboxing experience. While normally I'd level light criticism at the duplicate tips (because variety is always nice), the included tips are of good quality, fit well, and you're getting two of each. They didn't have to do that, especially not when the majority of the competition only provides a single suite of generic tips and that's it. There is one big omission though; no carrying case. They started including them with the P1 and the T4. At the very least include a simple carrying bag, TinHiFi. Your earphones are too nice to just shove into a pocket, unprotected.

Final Thoughts The legend continues. The T2 Plus is yet another outstanding entry in TinHiFi's lineup. While it doesn't stray from what the T4 did before it, it does so at half the price and with arguably better ergonomics, further solidifying my impression of TinHiFi as one of the most reliable and consistent brands on the market. That is of course, pending you enjoy their house sound. And not every release is sunshine and rainbows as we will find out in my next TinHiFi review...

Regardless, the neutral-bright signature Tin is known for, and found once again in the T2 Plus, may lack the robust bass you are used to if coming from your average v-shaped, mainstream tuned product. If seeking a different experience, one that is more traditionally considered “hi-fi”, you will be rewarded with an open stage, plenty of detail, stellar vocals, and a mature bass tuning.

If shopping around for a new earphone under 100 USD, you'd be hard-pressed to find something that bests the T2 Plus.

Thanks for reading!

- B9

Disclaimer A big thanks to Lillian with Linsoul for arranging a sample of the T2 Plus and for sending it for review. The thoughts within this review are my subjective impressions based on time spent listening to the T2 Plus. They do not represent Linsoul, TinHiFi, or any other entity. At the time of writing the T2 Plus was retailing for 59.99 USD, but on sale for 49.99 USD: https://www.linsoul.com/products/tinhifi-t2-plus

Specifications
  • Driver: 10mm NanoPure” nickel-zinc alloy plated dynamic driver
  • Impedance: 32Ω ±15%
  • Sensitivity: 104 ±3dB @1kHz 0.126v
  • Frequency Response: 10Hz-20KHz
  • Max Distortion: 1% @1kHz, 0.126v
Gear Used For Testing LG Q70, Earstudio HUD100, Earmen TR-Amp, Asus FX53V, TEAC HA-501

Some Test Tunes

Supertramp – Crime of the Century
Slipknot – Vol 3 (The Subliminal Verses)
Daft Punk – Random Access Memories
The Prodigy – The Day is My Enemy
Steely Dan – The Royal Scam
Porcupine Tree – Stupid Dreams
Reactions: Cat Music
Pros: Punchy and Fast Bass, Relatively clean sounding presentation, Impressive build quality and improved cable, Good detail retrieval
Cons: Potentially Fatiguing, Upper mids and treble can be too forward, Unnatural lower mids lacking in body
Intro

IMG_4230.jpg

Disclaimer: I purchased the Tin T2 Plus from Aliexpress at full price and this review is written of my own accord. For more reviews like these, check out
www.perrivanaudio.com

This is a review of the TinHiFi T2 plus, the successor of the T2 which made waves across the Earphone/IEM industry for redefining budget HiFi and what you can get with $50. With such a huge success, can TinHiFi even come close to replicating what they achieved with the original T2? Let’s dive in.

Packaging and Accessories (Score: 7/10)

t2plusaccessories.jpg

TinHiFi wanted to make it clear they were going to pick up where they left off with the T2 and T2 Pro, using an identical outer cardboard box and similar packaging styles. I like the uniformity and return to familiar ground. Opening it reveals a nice blue and gold themed packaging; you can clearly see thought and effort has gone into this.

Included accessories are a 2-pin cable with a 4-wire braid. It feels really soft and flexible but seems sufficiently sturdy and well-made. There is also a pair of foam tips and an additional 5 pairs of silicone tips, all packaged in Ziplock bags. They seem to have gone a little over the top with the silicone tips, although they decided to do without a carry case/pouch.

Build Quality and Fit (Score: 8/10)

t2plusunbox2.jpg

I love the matte aluminium finish on the T2 plus and they feel really solid and well-rounded, like two smooth pebbles in your hand. Their shape looks nothing like their predecessors and is instead reminiscent of the BLON BL-03. However, these fit much better than the BLONs and I have no problems with them. I also love how the cable aesthetics synergise well with the earpieces.

One small issue I had with the fit was that I wasn’t a fan of the stock silicone tips. Your mileage may vary but be prepared to use your go-to tips for a good seal.

Sound (Score: 7.8/10)

• Grease Soundtrack
  • Tokyo Kosei - Sinfonia Nobilissima
  • Beauty and the Beast The Broadway Musical - Official Broadway Recording

Bass (Score: 8.5/10)

The bass is arguably the best-done feature of the T2 plus. It extends very well and punches energetically. This is a significant improvement from the original T2 which struggled with early roll off in the bass. People who complained about the T2 lacking in this department would be more satisfied with the oomph provided on the plus. Tracks with catchy bass lines like The Spinners' "Cupid/I've Loved You For A Long Time" and George Ezra's "Shotgun" shine. Bass is speedy and has a very quick decay. Not the most natural but some may like this cleaner sounding signature compared to warmer bass like that of the Moondrop Starfield. Listening to “Something There” from the Beauty and the Beast Soundtrack, the bass line was very bouncy and light, something you don’t seem to see so often in newer releases.

Mids (Score: 7.5/10)

Mids are kind of a mixed bag. The lower mids and parts of the upper bass sounded very sterile and lacking in body. It doesn’t pick up from where the lower bass left off and seems disjointed. This affects certain instruments like clarinets. stripping them of their mellow and thick timbre in instrumental tracks such as some by Tokyo Kosei Wind Orchestra. The tonality of instruments like euphoniums and trombones also suffers noticeably.

Things become more energetic in the upper mids, where female vocals take the foreground. They have edge and a certain rawness which is fun to listen to but also quickly fatiguing. It’s a double-edged sword here too as instruments like violins and trumpets can sound harsh and thin and put a strain on the ear. The tonality of trumpets in Tokyo Kosei's "English Folk Song Suite" wasn't satisfying. I find myself constantly having to take a break from the T2 plus after every few tracks to rest my ears.

Treble (Score: 8/10)

The energy in the upper mids is carried over into the treble. It is airy and has a good amount of clarity and sparkle. My only complaint is that once again, it gets really tiring and painful on the ears after a while. Cymbal crashes, though satisfyingly clear, can get a little too splashy at times as well. I really enjoyed Sha Na Na's "Born to Hand Jive" for all its crash cymbal hits and crisp Hi-hat rhythms, but this enjoyment would fade into pain after about 5 tracks or so.

Overall

To sum it up, the TinHiFi isn't going to blow minds but I doubt it was tuned or designed to achieve that. It presents a refreshing tuning with a relatively budget price tag that treble lovers would certainly appreciate. It also has a very pleasing low end that many would be satisfied with. On top of all that, it boasts solid detail retrieval and separation.

Comparison

Tin T2 plus vs Tin T2

IMG_4110.jpg

The name Tin T2 plus seems to suggest that it is objectively better than the original T2. However, I wouldn’t be so quick to make such a claim. At no one time did I feel the Tin T2 plus come close in making the T2s obsolete. Instead, it only served to prove how timeless the T2s are.

What I must give credit to the Pluses for is the great improvement in packaging and presentation, stock cable and fit. On these three fronts, the Tin T2 plus nails it.

Moving on to sound, I would think of this as the "Tin T2 Maybe". It does create a niche for itself, with its detail-oriented V-shaped (slight) sound signature. It moves away from a “neutral-target” to a more aggressive and engaging sound. with a fast and speedy low end that extends well and contrasted with detail-oriented yet energetic upper mids and highs.

Overall, I'm not so much a fan of the highly fatiguing sound signature on the T2 plus, though I did enjoy a number of tracks on them. However, if the described signature matches your preferred sound signature then the T2 plus may very well be your cup of tea.

Conclusion

IMG_4222.jpg

The T2 plus has a lot going for it but do take note it isn't an upgrade on all fronts from the original T2. Instead, TinHiFi has created a new competent offering, riding on the success of T2. The T2 plus does tick many boxes but it is difficult to recommend something that I struggle to listen to extensively.

However, putting aside my reservations about the tuning of these, there is no denying that these are solid performers at this price point and if you ever find yourself craving some energetic highs done decently well, you know where to look.
Reactions: Cat Music
Pros: Great Price to Performance
Nice Clean Shell Design
Pleasant Tuning
Cons: Fit isnt the best
P1040290.JPG

The T2 Plus is another new in-ear monitor (IEM) from Tin Hifi, and is part of their popular T2 family, although this one doesn’t really fit with the T2 and the T2 Pro. This is because it doesn’t look like the other two, nor does it have the double dynamic driver configuration either. Instead, the similarly priced $49 T2 Plus features a heavier round metal shell that is very reminiscent of the BLON BL03 and features a single 10mm dynamic driver.

The Tin T2 Plus was sent from Linsoul for this review. It is currently available on their website at http://www.linsoul.com and is priced at $59 USD, which makes it just above the $49 T2 and equal to the $59 T2 Pro. For comparison’s sake, the Tin T3 is $69 and Tin T4 is $109, at regular retail pricing.

The T2 Plus comes with a series of tips and a braided silver cable. The cable is lightweight and generally easy to handle. The connector and y-split and a nice silver aluminum metal that is not too weighty. The connectors are of the mmcx variety and something that Tin Hifi has continued to use. There is no case included with this model and that luxury only comes with their higher priced T4 and P1 models.

The new shell design has some heft to it, but it’s still very comfortable to wear. As mentioned above, it does remind me a bit of the BLON BL03 shell but with a metallic powder-coat finish. There are two small vent holes for controlling the dynamic driver bass. These are located at the bottom of the shell, and one placed just next to the nozzle of each shell.

P1040288.JPG

Sound Impressions
If you remove the Tin TWS 2000 thing out of the equation, the T2 Plus is the warmest and bassiest of the Tin Hifi lineup. It’s got a more substantial rise in across the bass and lower mid-range than the T4, which has a punch mid-bass boost. There is a sharp rise at 1-2KHz that and a slightly uneven and brighter tonality in the treble, however not straying as bright and shrill as the Tin T2 Pro. In general, I found the T2 Plus to be a warm-bodied V-shape type sound signature that doesn’t totally come across as one.

My biggest fault with the Tin T2 Plus isn’t the warm bass response. It’s actually generally pleasant. It’s different than their other products, which adds a different flavor to their lineup. The original tuning, pre-production, had a more typical linear bass response, but this one beefs up the bass with a 6 to 7 dB shelf that starts right around 700Hz and rises through the sub-bass region with a small roll-off. I never found this actually too muddy despite the sharp rise. And while it does measure with an elevated sub-bass rise, I don’t know if I’d totally say it has the slam and rumble that I’d have expected. It does, however, provide a thicker and warmer sound than any other Tin product and that’s something that some will definitely welcome.

The mid-range can be a bit shouty at times, but mostly I don’t find this area too distracting. The graph looks worse than in practice here. My main problem lies more so in the treble region, where there’s always a sense of ringing and splash that comes across when listening to music with sharper treble instruments. Cymbals can sound overly splashy, with a ringing that can border on piercing. When I watched various YouTube videos, some that may not be recorded too well, they come across with sharp pain.

And while this isn’t always an issue with better recorded sound, there’s always a feeling that my ear needs to take a break after short sessions with the T2 Plus in my ears. I believe the sharp peark around 5-6K is the main driver for this fatiguing ringing sensation I get sometimes.

Music
An example of this sensation comes each time the tambourine is hit in Mazzy Star’s Fade into You. Of course, this event occurs throughout the song in a rhythmic fashion and that tizzy becomes more acceptable and normal after some time, but I just know if I pull my earphones out, my ears will ring.

Aside from that quirk, the bassline in this song comes across with just the right amount of power and Hope Sandoval’s quiet, muted voice comes alive with the more forward upper mid-range that the Tin T2 Plus brings to the table, and overall makes this song quite enjoyable, though fatiguing.

Switching gears, Depeche Mode’s Strangelove sounds a bit too bright for my tastes. David Gahan’s voice doesn’t sound as powerful and deep as I’m accustomed to when I listen to this song on other headphones where his voice takes over. Instead, the synths and snare drums hits seem to be too much of the focus, and sound a bit too over the top and bright. One thing to add is that I do feel that the bass hits feel a little too fast and blunted, and doesn’t have the hanging decay notes that really make this song have the low-end power it needs.

I think the T2 Plus really shines in Buena Vista Social Club’s Veinte años. This Cuban bolero track features heavy use of acoustic bass and guitars which are given full center-stage presence on the T2 Plus. While the vocals are ever present, I find that the stringed harmonics are pushed to the front and provides the listener with every little detail in full clarity.

While that acoustic track sounded very good, I found the opposite reaction in Alison Krauss & Union Station’s Restless, a track off their 2003 record, Lonely Runs Both Ways. This has become on of my main test tracks as of late, so I’ve had quite a lot of familiarity with it across many, many devices and gears and I find the T2 Plus seems to give me the me the impression that this is playing the pitch higher than it should, maybe by half an octave. This could be due to the fact that much of the song has stringed instruments and Krauss’ famous angelic voice all fall into the upper midrange where the Tin T2 Plus has quite a steep rise. The song sounds leaner than expected, with much of the warm intro missing and everything sounding a bit light.

P1040289.JPG

Overall

I find the Tin T2 Plus is a nice addition to the Tin Hifi lineup. It adds a warmer flavor to their existing roster, however it still maintains the brighter-than-neutral sound signature that has made their lineup popular. With that said, I don’t think I’d take this over the Tin T4 or Tin T3, and perhaps even the Tin T2, but it’s definitely a marked improvement over the Tin T2 Pro. For those who find the other iems are a bit bass light but can handle the brighter sound signature, I think the Tin T2 Plus may be the one for you.
Reactions: Cat Music
Pros: -Smooth and balanced tonality
-Jack of all trades
-Coherence
-Quick attack and decay across frequencies
-Ergonomic shell
-Price-to-performance ratio
Cons: -Not the most resolving pair
-Decent sounds stage size
Thank you SHENZENAUDIO for letting us give our honest take towards the TinHifi T2 Plus. Given that the review unit is from them and is free of charge, it doesn’t affect the honesty and integrity of this review.

Shop Link:

The Company

Tin audio is a chi-fi contender that appeared last Q1 of 2018, their first IEM was Tin Audio T1 and it was followed by the T2, T2 Pro,T3, P1 (their first ever Planar IEM), T4 and finally the third installment of their T2 series, the T2 Plus. Their first few IEMs are known for being bass anemic, since they are tuning their products into a neutral to bright/analytical sound signature despite the use of DD but as they made the P1, they started making their product sound more balanced. “Tin Audio is committed to deliver an uncommonly refined tuning.” this is what they said in their Facebook page and based on what I’ve heard from the T2 pro, T3 and now the T2 Plus, the statement is legit!

The TinHifi T2 Plus

Again, this is the third iteration of their T2 product line that was known for its commendable resolution and sparkly treble matched with subtle bass that was hated by bass lovers in the community. In terms of the design language, the T2 Plus now adapt a more low profile design that fits way better than their previous edgy and sharp shell designs. Due to their new shell, with proper ear tips, the T2 Plus is much more ergonomic and has better fit, isolation and comfort. Unlike the T2 and T2 Pro which uses a 2 DD (1 Woofer and 1 Tweeter) and their T3 that utilizes a hybrid single DD and single BA, the T2 plus only uses a single dynamic driver but fret not, the T2 plus is by far the best sounding among T-Series of TinHifi and I'll support this statement as you read this review deeper.

Technical Specifications:

-Max Power:5mW
-Max Distortion:1% @1k Hz 0.126V
-Interface:Gold-plated MMCX connector
-Plug:3.5mm black carbon multi dimensional heavy plug
-Conductor/Cable:1.25m (22/0.06AS Silver-plated Enameled+200D Kevlar)*4, Transparent Super Soft PVC Cable
-Housing Color:Stainless steel color

Packaging

TinHifi used the same design language in their packaging, a minimalist white box that contains a leather-ish blue box inside which contains everything, the gorgeous and ergonomic T2 Plus, 6 sets of silicone ear tips, 1 pair of foam ear tips and a 4 core SPC cable that I wish to stay pristine longer than the cable of T3. The T2 Plus retails for around 3000 Php/60 USD and I think they have a better packaging and accessories than similarly prized IEMs from TRN and KZ, but somehow I liked that MOONDROP shipped their SSR along with a small carrying pouch and that's the only thing missing with the T2 Plus.

Fit and Comfort

Sleek low-profile IEM shell
As I've said, they changed their shell design (towards a better path), it is now more ergonomic and noise isolating than their previous IEMs but somehow the image of their IEMs vanished with the T2 Plus, it looks a bit more generic now. The ear tips OOTB are decent ones, it is a bit too soft but it fits well in my ears (which doesn't apply to everyone). Despite the material used, it doesn't feel heavy too, I tried using it for 5 hours straight and it didn't caused any discomfort on my ears. With proper ear tips, the T2 Plus can sit nicely in ears providing more than decent noise isolation and seal.

I love gears with midcentric to flat sound signature as I really love listening to vocals rather than instruments. My genre ranges from heavy rock, alternative rock, pop rock, acoustic, pop, jazz and folk. Majority of my test tracks are in 16 bit – 44 khz and 24 bit – 48 khz FLAC file and here is the list of my commom test tracks.

1. Reese Lansangan – For the Fickle (Background, female vocals and upper mids)
  2. Billie Eilish – wish you were gay (Imaging, Layering, Coherence, Sub bass and Mid bass, Mids, Micro details)
  3. Rex Orange County – Untitled (Mid Bass, Mids)
  4. Ed Sheeran – Dive (Mid bass, Lower Mids)
  5. Reese Lansangan– My Sweet Hometown (Upper Mids and Instruments)
  6. Polyphia – Goose (Imaging, Layering, Coherence, Sub bass and Mid bass, Mids, Treble)
  7. Utada Hikaru ft. Skrillex – Face My Fears (Imaging Layering, Bass, Mids, Treble, Coherence, Quickness)
  8. Polyphia – 40 oz. (Imaging, Layering, Coherence, Sub bass and Mid bass, Mids, Treble)
  9. Polyphia – GOAT (Imaging, Layering, Coherence, Sub bass and Mid bass, Mids, Treble)
  10. Ariana Grande – Raindrops (Background, Upper mids)
Bass

Bass line is awesome playing "Bad Guy" by Billie Eilish on MQA, bass on the background sounds awesome, well defined, texture is quite refined, rumbles and buzzes are definitely present but it doesn't go too deep, notes under 80 Hz sounds faint already which is kinda normal IMO. I want to reiterate that notes above 100 Hz sounds really nice in terms of speed, resolution and positioning which is leaning to neutral. Playing "G.O.A.T" by Polyphia, it leads me to a concrete finding that mid bass sounds agile, clean and detailed but It doesn't pack a lot of punch in terms of quantity and it isn't emphasized at all, I'm honestly in awe with the bass of T2 plus which sounds cleaner and faster than the BLON BL03 but less engaging which I honestly prefer (though the bass of BL03 is very enjoyable).

Midrange

Starting with the Lower Midrange, I used "Falling" by Harry Styles and boy, both piano and his vocals sounded smooth and moderately lush, the lower midrange is still positioned quite neutrally with moderate body and far from being veiled. Most multi-driver IEMs under 50 bucks either sound too thick or too hollow/dry for example the ZS10 Pro and CCA CA4 sounded really dry and thin, on the other hand the BQEYZ BQ3 sounds too warm to the point that some of the bass leaks to the lower midrange and here's the T2 Plus that sounds perfectly balanced. Playing "My Sweet Hometown" by Reese Lansangan, the positioning is still very neutral there's very good amount of body, just enough for the instruments and vocals not to sound shrill or shouty. I don't want to hype this IEM but I'm really really happy with how it sounds, upper midrange sounds sweet yet far from being peaky which is quite a norm from chi-fi budget IEMs.

Treble

Smooth, airy and has very good decay speed, playing "40oz" by Polyphia which has decent amount of treble (lower to upper treble), hi-hats sounded clean and has good amount of sparkle yet far from being harsh or aggressive. Treble-heads might find the treble quantity to be insufficient but man the speed of attack and decay plus the cleanliness of its presentation is commendable, I verified my hypothesis with "Asphyxia" by Co Shu Nie and it turned into conclusion. It may sound too smooth and too relaxed for some but there's no shortcoming in terms of texture, airiness and sparkle it may be the weakest link of the T2 Plus but for a treble sensitive guy like me it is tuned just right.

Sound Stage and Resolution

The T2 Plus doesn't sound as spacious as the TinHifi T2 Pro or T3, it has less depth and width and there are factors behind that, maybe it is the source or the ear tips that I'm using or just because the treble here is trimmed down compared to the T2 Pro and T3. Nonetheless, the T2 Plus has good layering and imaging capabilities despite having a single driver, it isn't as precise as the TRN VX but due to its speed instruments and vocals are well separated. Resolution isn't the strength of the T2 Plus too, it has more than okay details but it isn't game changing for the price, maybe it is due to the smooth tuning too but I'd say that I found the T2 Pro more resolving than the T2 Plus.

Sound Signature and Synergy

The sound signature of the TinHifi T2 Plus leans with being balanced, There's a little elevation on the upper midrange but it is FAR from being shouty or shrill. Bass is kinda neutral with good speed and resolution, midrange has very good balance between lushness and clarity, it sounds smooth yet moderately resolving with natural timbre, upper midrange sounds sweet and clean for both instruments and female vocals, lastly Treble doesn't sound harsh, it is smooth and has enough amount of air and sparkle to give cymbals and violin great definition. I would love pairing it with neutral-analytical source because adding more warmth may veil the midrange and bass leak might be noticeable.

Ifi Hip Dac (3.5 and 4.4)

The Hip Dac is a warm-ish source that can be even warmer with the built in Xbass that I use very seldom. The source brings good amount of body across frequencies and actually making vocals sound more natural and smooth. Bass can be too punchy when turning on the Xbass but without it, it sounds balanced. Again, midrange sounds really nice to me especially the timbre, instruments are well presented too with moderate amount of thickness. Treble is smoothly presented with decent amount of sparkle and good attack and decay speed, resolution is fine too though not the best in its class.

Using it with Satin Audio Kraken 4x, everything sounds cleaner and well layered, bass became even tighter and faster while midrange sounded as good as with the 3.5 mm, there's a slight addition to treble extension and it is cleaner.

Comparison
Tough chi-fi battle royale MOONDROP SSR

The SSR is cheaper than the T2 Plus thus, I expected it to have inferior sound compared to the latter and my findings isn't as straightforward as what I imagined. In terms of resolution, sound stage (size) and transparency, I'd pick the SSR over the T2 Plus but everything else goes to the T2 Plus. The layering and imaging of T2 plus is just nice, the stage isn't grand but it is well layered and separated despite using a single dynamic driver. Timbre easily goes to the T2 Plus too, given that the SSR doesn't sound that thin, I still prefer the control of T2 Plus with regards to note thickness, there's no sign of shrillness too unlike with the SSR that can sound harsh at times. Bass sounds deeper, more textured and punchier on the T2 Plus too which is nice because it never sounded excessive it is just that the bass of SSR is subtle. The two doesn't sound the same but having one between the two is more than enough, T2 Plus is easier to recommend overall due to its balanced sound.

BLON BL03

The Blon BL03 is one of the best budget IEMs of 2019 and can still fight its way in 2020. They share almost the same timbre but the BL03 sounds more lush, slow and has a bit more recessed midrange. I'd say that the T2 Plus fixed the things I hate from the BL03 which easily a win for the T2 Plus, it has a better attack and decay speed which increases the overall coherency of an IEM, playing complex passages sounded cleaner and layered better with the T2 Plus. There's almost no bass bleeding too in the T2 Plus which is kinda noticeable with the BL03. The T2 Plus is less airy and less smooth than the other when talking about the treble on the other hand the T2 Plus sounds more resolving and has faster attack and decay speed. Resolution and layering goes to the T2 Plus too while the stage is wider and deeper in the BL03.

TRN VX

I'd pick the VX if it's all about layering and resolution, but that isn't the case I prefer timbre and balance which is far better on the T2 Plus. Bass is thin on the VX it sounds a bit artificial too (common caveat with TRN and KZ IEMs), I prefer the balanced and smooth bass of T2 Plus even though it isn't as resolving as the VX. Same story for the mid range, the VX is obviously dry compared to the smooth yet clean presentation of the T2 Plus, again there's more details with the VX but it isn't a huge gap. The treble of VX sounds a bit thin but not peaky, there's good amount of details and it is well extended on the other hand the treble of T2 Plus is smoother, has better tone and is less fatiguing without sounding veiled or rolled off. The VX is slightly better in layering and resolution but the timbre of T2 Plus is much more natural plus it sounds more coherent than the VX.

Conclusion

The T2 Plus is a no brainer recommendation under 3000 Php/60 USD, it sounds like a buffed Blon BL03. Honestly I can't find any major flaw here, it has a good bass with more than decent sub bass depth, fast attack and decay and a pretty good resolution. Mid range sounds clean yet retaining enough body, it isn't the most resolving pair but I can vouch it to be one of the most natural sounding under 5000 Php/100 USD. Treble isn't special, it sounds smooth with decent sparkle and air, details are just fine and there's no noticeable peaks but it has a remarkable attack and decay speed. Resolution isn't note worthy same with the sound stage size, it is pretty coherent with great layering and imaging qualities. T2 Plus proceeded with different path compared to its predecessors, it is much smoother and easier to listen compared to T2 and T2 Pro that has an emphasis with treble, if you loved its previous iterations, you may find the T2 Plus inferior but if you want a more balanced version of those then T2 Plus is definitely worth it!

RATING
9/10 = VERY GOOD

★★★★★★★★★
PROS

• Smooth and balanced tonality
  • Jack of all trades
  • Coherence
  • Quick attack and decay across frequencies
  • Ergonomic shell
  • Price-to-performance ratio
CONS
  • Not the most resolving pair
  • Decent sounds stage size

Video Review:

Last edited:
Pros: balanced tuning, great technical performance in most respects, excellent build quality
Cons: occasional ringing with certain cymbal crashes, average imaging
DSC07268.jpg

INTRODUCTION AND DISCLAIMER:
The TinHiFi T2 Plus is an in-ear monitor (IEM) using a 10mm nickel-zinc alloy dynamic driver. The T2 Plus retails for $59 at Shenzhen Audio. I received the T2 Plus from Shenzhen Audio in exchange for a fair and objective review.

This review is also available on my blog: https://medium.com/bedrock-reviews/tinhifi-t2-plus-review-426fc694fd9

SOURCES:
I have used the TinHiFi T2 Plus with the following sources:
  • JDS Labs The Element
  • Apple USB-C to 3.5mm dongle
  • Meizu HiFi Pro dongle
  • Fiio BTR1K Apt-X Bluetooth Receiver
  • Qudelix 5K
I have tested these headphones with local FLAC and Spotify Premium. Visit my last.fm page to get an idea of what I listen to.

PACKAGING AND ACCESSORIES:
DSC07273.jpg

The TinHiFi T2 Plus comes in a rectangular blue box with a white slipcover. The box and slipcover are mostly unmarked, with the TinHifi logo the only emblem of note. The package includes a detachable MMCX cable, 12 silicone eartips (2x small, 2x medium, 2x large), 1 pair of foam eartips, and a user manual. I would have liked to see some kind of carry bag or case included with the T2 Plus at this price point but I am glad to see the foam eartips.

BUILD QUALITY / DESIGN:
The TinHiFi T2 Plus has simple aluminum alloy teardrop-shaped housings reminiscent of the Blon BL-03. The housings have two circular vents, one on the inner face of the housing in line with the nozzle, and one at the base of the housing just above the seam between the faceplate and the inner housing face. “TINHiFi” and the unit serial number are printed in white at the top of the inner housing face. “L” and “R” are inscribed into the inner faces of the housings. The nozzles have a small lip to secure eartips.

Each strand of the 4-core MMCX cable has a transparent 200D Kevlar sheath. The Y-split and straight 3.5mm jack hardware are metal, and there is a clear bead-like chin adjustment slider. There is strain relief above the 3.5mm jack. and there is no chin slider. In addition to printed “L” and “R” indicators, the right MMCX connector has a red rim. The cable has pre-formed rubber ear guides.

COMFORT / FIT / ISOLATION:
The TinHiFi T2 Plus is intended to be worn cable-up only. The earpieces have a shallow-to-moderate insertion depth and should be very comfortable for most listeners. The housings are low profile and sit mostly below the outer surface of the ear. Secureness of fit is great, but isolation is average. I did not experience driver flex with the TinHiFi T2 Plus using the stock foam eartips, Moondrop MIS foam eartips, or SednaEarfit XELASTEC TPE eartips.

MEASUREMENTS:
T2 Plus.jpg

My measurements were conducted with a Dayton iMM-6 microphone using a vinyl tubing coupler and a calibrated USB sound interface. The headphones are driven using my Element, which has an output impedance of no more than 1 ohm. The measurements use a compensation file derived from relating my raw measurements to published measurements from Crinacle and Antdroid. The measurements are presented with 1/24th smoothing. There is a resonant peak at 8k. Measurements above 10k are not reliable.

SOUND:
Note: The following impressions are from use with the stock foam eartips.

The TinHifi T2 Plus has a warm U-shaped tuning with a mid-bass emphasis.

The sub-bass is well-extended, and the mid-bass is impactful without being bloated. There is a satisfying amount of slam and rumble. The bass response has good speed and articulation. The bass is also very textured and quite resolving. There is some mid-bass bleed, but the bass response tapers off early enough to avoid creating too much congestion.

The midrange is smooth if a little thin sounding. The lower midrange is less prominent than the upper midrange and vocals are emphasized over instruments in the midrange. I would have preferred slightly more body to the lower midrange. Male vocals are slightly less prominent than female vocals, though vocal intelligibility for both male and female vocals is great most of the time. Female vocals have a breathy, wet quality to them but avoid sibilance. Timbre is realistic if slightly dry.

The treble response is detailed and mostly even-sounding across the lower treble. There is more lower-treble than upper treble, but the upper treble has good extension. There is abundant sparkle and adequate air. The speed of transient delivery is realistic but there is a sense of ringing with some cymbal crashes. While these crashes jump out at the listener I did not find the treble response harsh or painful to listen to.

The soundstage is expansive for a single dynamic driver IEM. Instrument separation is very good. Imaging is good but not exceptional.

AMPLIFICATION REQUIREMENTS AND SOURCE PAIRING:
The TinHifi T2 Plus is easy to drive with a variety of source devices. I did not notice hiss with any of my sources.

CLOSING WORDS:
DSC07248.jpg

The $50–75 segment is something of a desert. IEMs in this segment typically have at least one crippling flaw or do not adequately justify their price premium over products in the $40–50 price range. I am happy to say this is not the case with the TinHiFi T2 Plus. While there is technical performance to be gained from IEMs in the $75–100 range, the T2 Plus stands out in its price range for its near-universal competency.
Reactions: Cat Music
Pros: The good old Tin T2 now has bass!. Well balanced tuned earphone with a Harmon chop shelf for upper mids to treble adding a touch of sweetness to the mid band tones. Good imaging and detail from treble to BASS?! Solid all metal build with an ergonomic tear drop smallish design. Comes with a good SPC 4 core cable. Treble with good extension and shimmer.
Cons: Treble has 5.5Khz and a 8Khz peak which shows a bit of glare. Might be a bit splashy for some. More mid bass than sub but it has BASS! These could sound better than your much more expensive in ears.
Tin HIfi T2 plus
DSC07329.JPG
The T2 I remember being the budget darling of 2019 and with good reason but it wasn't without its flaws. For me it was the lack of bass that made me sell them off. Bass to me is the soul for my music and I don't care how good the mids are or how extended the treble is. Music without my bass and it wont last long in the collection. So what does the T2 plus do differently from the previous T2?
DSC07321.JPG
I would like to thank Jim and NiceHCK and Tin Hifi for the review sample of the T2 plus. These are my thoughts on the newest version of the T2 now with the plus. Can be purchased on the NiceHCK web site here.
DSC07322.JPG
The T2 plus comes with a simple box a set of silicone tips a medium set of foams and a very nice 4 core SPC cable in single ended. I am a huge believer of the whole package and what you get here is not too different from budget offerings but I do have to give some props to Tin Hifi for including a cable that matches up sonically well with the T2 plus. The Silicone tips are standard but I can tell they put some thought into some optimized tips and a nice cable for the earphones.
DSC07323.JPG
I bring this aspect up due to many manufacturers not doing this. Most will throw in a random cable and random tips. It doesn't take much effort throwing in accessories that actually work well with the earphones sonic ability. But this aspect is often overlooked even in earphones that cost much more. Of course optimized aftermarket tips and cables do well to better the sound of any earphone but it is nice to see that there was some thought put into this entire package.

The build of the T2 plus is excellent. The all metal shell no longer is using a generic barrel shaped housing. It uses a teardrop shaped all metal shell which is much more ergonomic and form fitting in the ear. The size of the shells are smaller so these will fit the majority of users with ease and comfort during use. The metal housing is coated with a silver finish that seems to have a hard coating on it that is resistant to scratches.
DSC07328.JPG
I made the mistake of putting these shells on a hard concrete surface during my photo shoot with them and I could have sworn I picked them up wrong, possibly scratching the coating and there was not a single blemish. I even heard the scrape but upon closer inspection, revealed that there was no scratch at all. The metal shells have some weight but I don't find them heavy or cumbersome in any way.
DSC07320.JPG
So I have no idea what they used to finish the housing coating but this little aspect of the build has me very impressed. I can’t say even higher end IEMs has this tough of a coating on them.
The SPC cable is very light weight and does a great job not only enhancing the premium looks of the T2 but also in use. These cables don’t limit the sonics of the T2 and that is again something I can’t say every manufacturer does. The cable design was a solid choice highlighting the ability of the T2 plus. Copper based with a silver coating bodes well for the sonic character of the T2 plus. The foam was a good idea but I wish they threw in some different sizes. It only comes with a medium sized foam so if you use medium sized tips they will fit you well. The build, the cable, the silicone tips and foams gets a thumbs up. So how do they sound?

Sound analysis was done using my Daps Fiio M15, Shanling M6 pro, M5s, M3s, Ibasso DX160, Cayin N5ii.
DSC07325.JPG
So how does the sound differ from the previous T2? I ended up selling those as the lack of any bass impact and rumble just made them sound way too boring for me. It was heralded as one of the best budget IEMs in the market and I think Tin Hifi made a name for themselves with that earphone but let's be real. That limp sub bass which was rolled off huge had me grabbing other budget sets every time. Something was missing and you can guess what that was. The plus in the T2 plus stands for bass.

Overall tuning has a slight tilt toward treble but now has some bass presence the old T2 never had. These are what the old T2 should have been.I feel is more of a complete sound. There are some similarities to the older T2 especially the mid bands. Exhibiting them smooth mid bands that Tin Hifi fans should recognize. Treble will be a hit or miss depending on what your sensibilities are. The upper mids rise starts early and peaks out at 1.5khz and extends to the 5khz, a dip at 7Khz with another peak in the 8Khz region giving the T2 plus a bit more in the way of cool sometimes bright tonality for the mid bands and treble.
DSC07326.JPG
don’t find the T2 treble range bothersome over all but I did find some poorly mastered EDM tracks to sound a touch harsh. For folks that are sensitive to the 8 Khz range peaks. Foams will help lower the treble peak for you and should correct some glare you will notice. Clarity is good due to the ample upper mid harmon chop tuning. Generally well recorded tracks sound great using the T2 plus.

By golly it has bass. T2 plus has more mid bass and than sub bass but it is so much better than the previous T2. These now have some soul. Some gusto. Some rocket fuel.

It is simple folks. Without bass, or with bass. You make the call.
images.jpg or 2.1.jpg
Mid range has a smooth clean sound overall with good center imaging. Male and female vocals show good presence but vocal range is only average due to the lack of overall depth and height to the sonics. Has a sweetness in tone to the mid bands due to the treble shelf. While the mid bands show a good resolving ability, I don't find the T2 plus being too dimensional sounding. It is more of a flatter type of sound projection vs sounding dimensional. T2 plus does a good job at avoiding sibilance but does show some treble glare on tracks.

Width of sound is roughly medium average for in ears than being particularly wide. Shows a side ways oval staging so more traditional sounding in how it projects sound for earphones. Imaging is good but on some tracks you will hear a bright tinge to the treble with a smoother slightly warmer mid range. This effect makes the treble sound like tweeters at times. Some may like this affect some may not again it will depend on your sensibilities.
DSC07327.JPG
Bass again is actually present on these which makes a world of difference injecting some musicality to the otherwise well done mid bands and tweeter like treble presence. Overall I find the T2 plus an engaging listen and for the price you're really not going to find much better. The price going for these are a good deal and for folks that are looking into getting a well tuned dynamic earphone that don't require a large sum, the T2 plus will be a good addition to the enthusiasts collection of earphones. As always, thanks for taking the time to read. Happy listening always.

Bonus pic
DSC07319.jpg
Shown with Penon GS849 cable. Yes it does sound better with this cable.
Last edited:
Pros: Tonal accuracy; tonal accuracy; tonal…; balance/homogeneity; ergonomics; value.
Cons: Still MMCX connectors; no container included.
The Tin Hifi T2 Plus is a very well-made warm-neutral, well-balanced, crisp but never aggressive sounding earphone with outstanding timbre challenging the company’s more expensive offerings. The T2 Plus’s money is in:

• the build quality
  • the ergonomics
  • the tonal accuracy

Otto Motor

"...The Tin Hifi T2 Plus have a tonality very similar to the $99 Tin Hifi T4 and are moving even further away from the original T2’s analytical and sterile tonality. It is a bit smoother overall with the T4’s sonic edges trimmed. This increases balance but at the expense of grit: the T4 are livelier, punchier, but less coherent and somewhat shouty, and they have the better 3-D presentation. The T2 Plus’ soundstage is shallower in comparison. And the T2 Plus’s earpieces fit better and come with the haptically superior, non-springy cable..."

"...Tin Hifi’s diminishing return starts right here and I would not fork out twice as much on the similar but less balanced and less ergonomic TinHifi T4…"
waveriderhawaii
waveriderhawaii
Thanks Otto!! Been a fan of yours for some time now. Great review and great video.
Otto Motor
Hey, just received a load of vlogging mics.