Headphoneus Supremus
Pros: Finding a super quick pace and rhythm due to well executed upper imaging and lower bass
Strangely the LM goes and finds musicality with any and all sources, regardless of tone demeanor
New 2nd generation Lithium-Magnesium Driver, what would the EA1000 be with such a driver?
At 11 grams each the LM is heavy, though fits perfectly due to medium small size
Cons: Not the resolution and imaging of the up-line EA1000
Some folks may want the tighter (and stage smaller) EA1000 bass response
To be real here, the LM is probably slightly better for modern low-brow styles of music, and not so much Classical?
Still technicalities are so good the LM does classical too far above its humble price-point
DSC_0301.jpegone.jpeg

DSC_1266.jpegw.jpeg

DSC_0226.jpegw.jpeg

SIMGOT EA500 LM Edition
Who knows just how useful this review will be for folks? As typically reviews function to enlighten about a new or unknown IEM, enlightenment through a description of IEM character. So as readers we interface off the reviewer's opinion and come about a purchasing decision, based on how well we trust the reviewer's thoughts and how well we feel the IEM may blend with our listening. That buying decision can be at our own time or right away. Most people fall into a few categories of how they make buying decisions, and you fall under a purchasing category even if you don’t know it.

So it’s a blend of how we relate to the IEM review or reviews, how the IEM’s character is, and a value of sound per dollar spent quota, that we perceive though reading or demoing. Of course much of the time elements here depends what kind of IEM buyer you are. To list a few of the IEM buyers' personalities, there are the quick emotional kind, the (try-to-be) scientific and information collecting types, the kind that go with the pack, and the literally the time based ones. Those ones will buy if the IEM seems to fit their personal chronologic time-frame. Much of the time we don’t even recognize the exact style of our buying trends, but it is safe to say everyone is slightly different.

SIMGOT AUDIO has in a way circumvented the past buying styles of Head-fi buying personalities, seemingly catering to the masses. Though I will at least mention a single group here, the fancy-pants…………..yep, those types only purchase if the price is right. You guessed it, they will only purchase expensive products because price equals quality…….right? Though now, even those (expensive) types are starting to notice who SIMGOT AUDIO is, and basic curiosity is pushing them forward!

SIMGOT AUDIO has been around for a while, but they recently totally reworked their sound. They have used technology in the driver design, but also explored various tuning and IEM housing methods to bend the commonly thought of paradigm for success. 2nd fold once they knew with-out-a-doubt that they were in the zone, they gave out lots of free samples to reviewers. What the fall-out here is massive market disruption……it’s huge. Still the difference here (that I see) is somehow SIMGOT AUDIO looked in and thought about how to make success happen, and somehow created a sound that people gravitated to?

SIMGOT often uses tuning nozzles as a way to gain extra acceptance into understanding a specific model tune. So if the tone is too treble peaky often you can find a different nozzle attachment to arrive at a slightly different tone. And to further this concept often SIMGOT offers extra filters included with an aftermarket tuning kit that you can buy separately to make the tone of a specific IEM all your own.

As of recent SIMGOT AUDIO now makes their own aftermarket cable, the LC7, they have also made and continue to introduce Dongles to market. The most recent to grace our shores has been the super small DEW4X. In this review I will compare the LM model to the past regular EA500, and the runner-up flagship, the EA1000. There has been lots of talk of how the LM is the reintroduction of the EW200 tune. And personally I don’t have an issue where everyone is simply trying to get to terms with how these two (LM/EW200) models sound, especially before a purchase takes place. In a perfect world we would have IEM stores with every model on every corner. Because there is no substitute for a demo. Still there is also no substitute for a month long demo, finding possible characteristics we may have missed on a short demo. But one reason I feel there is a small EW200 relationship is due to bass tuning. Still this is a whole different new style of LM driver.

DSC_1246.jpegas.jpeg

DSC_1253.jpegw.jpeg

Lithium-Magnesium Driver with Gold Nozzles:
Searching through my collection of IEMs there is nothing like the LM. Could this in-fact be due to driver methodology? What is happening here is we are witnessing some of the drawback characters of single full-range drivers become overcome. You see this LM almost sounds like more than one driver. This single feature takes and separates it from all the SIMGOT IEMs that have come before. There is also a lot of bass, and even more sub-bass. Where sure the EW200 and LM model have the low-end in common, yet at times I thought that the regular EA500 and the EA1000 could use an ounce more of bass, so here we are? :gift:

Screen Shot 2024-02-07 at 1.09.39 PM.png

as.jpeg

Do you see the red line for between 2.8kHz to 5kHz? That is our brightness with the LM, in comparison to the dark blue EA1000, the green EA500 and the light blue EW200. Now if you are wondering why the LM still is only so bright, that is due to bass balance. Yep, the more bass you add in the more midrange and upper-midrange you can get away with. You simply are given bass frequencies which counteract the perception of brightness.

DSC_1237.jpeg2.jpeg

Included graph measurement disclaimer:
All the nozzles approach the brightness graphed near basically close to the same. So there is no confusion, the graph was with the red nozzle, and I used primarily the gold nozzle. All the following concepts explained in regards to how the LM performs brightness are still relatively close to the same.

Nozzles:
  • 123dB/Vrms (@1kHz Gold Copper nozzle & Red Silicone Ring)
  • 123dB/Vrms (@1kHz Silver Steel nozzle & Red Silicone Ring)
  • 124dB/Vrms (@1kHz Silver Steel nozzle & Black Silicone Ring)
I use the included gold nozzle, as I like the results. Some have taken steps to remove the gold nozzle foam to access a slightly different tuning/stage stance. Since everyone has a different style of hearing and different tone qualities from their source..........I am not saying my way is the very best. Really if you use aftermarket ear-tips that too will alter the tone and stage to some degree. Best is to simply try different nozzles and learn each individual style of replay. Though it may be best to stick with the included gold nozzles with the foam in place........as always the way the IEM is included in the package is where SIMGOT feels is a good place to start.

DSC_1131.jpegs.jpeg

Top row: EA500 LM Edition then older EA500
Second row: EA1000 and EW200

Note the very bottom SIMGOT $19.99 EW100P Universal IEM is placed here only for size comparison and received a glowing 3 star out of 5 star review from me a while back. :)

Comparisons:
EA1000 (included red rubber rings 2019 Harman Target)
EA500 (included red ring nozzle)

EW200 (no nozzle option)

All tests today were done with my regular wide-bore silicone ear-tips, the Sony WM1A with MrWalkman’s firmware, and the SIMGOT AUDIO LC7 cable in 4.4mm. While there was nothing wrong with the provided cable, it is just that it was 3.5mm and didn’t allow access to balanced amplification.

EA1000 $219.99
So starting out here, it’s obviously a factor of price, right? Well the bass is different, while not quite as clear as the EA1000 that extra roughly 4kHz you are getting with the LM is actually held not only in extra frequency, it is taking hold of a larger bass soundstage. Also let me just inject this here, while spending 10 days listening to the LM, I perceived what I would describe as the most bass in the SIMGOT line, and interestingly there was ample sub-bass too? Doing very small 3 second sound loop comparisons (to enhance sonic memory) I found, yes the EA1000 is actually just slightly louder and holding more involved midrange harmonics lending to an advanced response in realness, there was simply more reality of instruments between the two held by the EA1000. So in the long run, yes the EA1000 is slightly more vivid and technically better, but I have to ask myself why do I like the LM so very much?

Switching now to full songs, the LM is simply holding a smoother take on the SIMGOT sound, having to try an volume match the two by adding a click or two onto LM input, I simply found that while yes it was less detailed, what it did was offer a warmer and even more even playback. Such finding went and had me question the importance of detail, as the EA1000 technically was the better driver. Yet the midrange peak was not there with the LM, even though it shows up graphically, there is a different bass balance going on which smooths out the whole affair. Also midrange imaging was of slightly thicker note weight with the LM, making the same song playback with the EA1000 seem to come-off faster but thinner in the end. The EA1000 can get you closer to the inner details held in your song files, but the LM has more kick. I mean it’s more fun in the end. Still remember I’m a sucker for deep bass realizations, so those happen, and I’m all done. This hopefully doesn’t detract from the EA1000 views and ideas, it is just SIMGOT got creative and less stuffy with the LM. It could be viewed that SIMGOT was going for less analytical, and hopefully gaining that younger crowd that could care less about clarity, that are looking for a deeper sound holding more bass ambiance?

EA500 $79.00
We all know that for many the EA500 was more intense. Little too bright, and here in comparison the LM is once again showing us more bass. Yet the big deal here is the EA500 peaks 2.5kHz to 5.2kHz…………those LM peeks would have you believe it is generated to be more. What I’m trying to say here is it sounds the complete opposite from how the graph looks. The graph makes it look like the LM would have energy in the exact area, and it may, except the low end completely makes it sound smoother and not dull, but arriving at the duller area of town. This is a perfect example of showing graphs only tell a fraction of the story, and at this point with the LM/EA500 the total opposite of upper midrange/midrange would be encountered on a daily basis. So for those who have the EA500 and think it is too bright, I can assure you the LM is a more forgiving part of town, all the time! Forgiving, yet still detailed, well imaged and totally fun!

So the LM sounds like the EA500 graphs out to be, noticeably lower in energy and smoother.

EW200 $39.99

So here we find EW200 has many of the same tuning features that go to the LM. Yes, going back to the EW200 once again showed me how it may be the very most IEM you can get for $39.99? And sure it is close to what the LM does except the LM stage is bigger, more open and holding greater authority of realism. Sorry this stage thing really gets me. As it totally affects everything where sure the EW200 has close to the same tuning, except it has a different driver, thus the LM responds with clearer imaging and holding more emotion due to such things. Obviously the newer LM has the honeymoon charm. And still I can’t get it out of my head that even though they are close, the LM has these transients done next level, so in a way it is just more technical and that small difference stirs my heart………it is what it is. If you have the EW200 and are wondering if it is a big change to spend the extra money, I would say there has never been an easier way to gain a better sound, especially if you already love the EW200! As far as tuning goes there will be limited surprises, except that note definition and clarity………well the differences are real here. Simply give the EW200 to someone, as there will be nothing to miss once the LM arrives in your ears.

DSC_1135.jpegs.jpeg

DSC_1393.jpegq.jpeg

Cable Changes:
1) Penon Space Cable: $99.90
2) HiSenior White Whale Cable: $96.00
3) Penon Vocal Cable: $69.00
4) ISN G4 Cable: $99.50
5) Penon RENATA Cable (Price yet to be published) ($250.00-$300.00)

6) Included Cable

1) Penon Space Cable:

Just so you know there is very little if not no differences at all between the LC7 and the Space Cable. Really both cables are highly transparent making the stage about as big as it can be, as well as not adding any their own personality to the playback.

2) HiSenior White Whale Cable:
Laughingly either the LM is generally not showing the differences between these three cables, or their make-up is close to the same. Maybe a tad of extra smoothness here, but really you would be hard pressed to find much difference. They are all priced about the same too?

3) Penon Vocal Cable:
Just so you know the White Whale, the Space and the LC7 are truly looked at as being uncolored and fairly balanced, offering 4.4mm with the While Whale and LC7 and an improvement over the regular brand included cables. So what’s up here? Hmm, so yes the midrange is slightly more forward, but remember if you have been following along with this review so far you may realize that the midrange has that room for a slight push. Actually I didn’t think this cable would be as good as it is. Marvelous increase in stage size, and a special separation here, where images are way out to the sides, the bass is maybe slightly diminished, just a tad? But it is the warmth and synergy that make this cable special today. Just WOW! My word for this cable is the can opener………it opens up the stage and allows for great interaction, bigger-denser imaging. Laughably if you studied the graph on the LM, a cable which promoted Pinna Gain would be a no-go, but due to bass balance we actually have room to explore a different style of cable push. Only it is true that the White Whale, The LC7 and the Space go ahead and offer maybe a slightly more true to life rendition, I should have remembered the Vocal Cable adds a style of separation and pizzaz that makes you forget about normal responses, especially with darker IEMs.

4) ISN (Graphene) G4 Cable:
Graphene has a character, and yes, there is some of that here. As later in this review we will find out how the LM is also very easy going to sources too. Meaning many, many......pretty much all sources go with the LM. There is an easy gong nature going on here. The Graphene will add some stage and diminish the bass adding clarity in places, and yes all that is going on, yet very minimally? Probably the greatest gift would be the warmer big authority midrange stage, yet it didn’t offer that separation and itemization of the Vocal cable…….I was surprised by the Vocal, as I normally place this G4 above it?

5) Penon RENATA Cable:
If you read my RENATA review this version of the RENATA is different. What I mean is that the first review was the Beta Version RENATA, as I have a new review for this cable in the works. Slightly formulated differently to be slightly brighter in the midrange and treble. Here once more it is an additive of smoothness but what takes the cake here is the separation and lifelike growth of stage imaging. This is the more expensive cable of the grouping, yet goes forward with a spread out low-end as well as spatial imaging and separation. Where there was a rhythmic bass throb in one song I could only half hear it with the previous cable tests, only (the bass) to become very delineated and separated now with the RENATA? As such it is not going to be peaky in any fashion, but in many ways like the ISN CS02, holding a style of imaging texture, yet still smooth.

6) Included Cable
Remember this test will now be performed with my 3.5mm output of the WM1A. Once again really not all that much difference? I mean sure there is a difference, yet the magic of this tune still shines through. There is a subtle way the LM sways with the music that is always there and never messed with no matter what source you use, which amplifier you use, or which cable you choose!

DSC_1325.jpegw.jpeg
DSC_1329.jpegs.jpeg

Equipment:
Yep, the DAPs and Dongles were a super easy section to review here. Especially the Dongles as you simply unplug the IEMs from the HiBy R3 II after sonically judging that, then plug in a Shanling UA3 Dongle or the SIMGOT AUDIO DEW4X into action with the USB Type-C. It takes all of about 1/2 a second so the music keeps rolling and it makes judging extremely easy to do. All tests performed with my regular wide-bore tips and LC7 cable in 4.4mm balanced.

HiBy R3 II:
While the wild M response of the R3 II doesn’t always lend itself to every IEM, here we meet forgiveness, yet better than being forgiven because it’s a party! Where a big part of this may be in the way the two commingle to provide bass, except there is also a stage size and smoothness in replay that both provide separate, and that gets added up when together here? I guess what I can say is surprise……being if you were wondering which DAP to get that would be on a budget (with the LM) and still have fun and enjoyment, with no questions asked……..this would be it.......the HiBy. Hence I took a lot of pictures of the combination. :)

The HiBy will not always be best with certain IEMs, but in this use case it is another added plus to the honeymoon already in process. I could go on and on except let’s save time. The WM1A is what I usually use for the music section, and I will still use that now for this review, except I could have easily used the R3 II in this application here. This was so surprising that I had to keep checking and over the course of days and days, this is the truth I’ve come up with. In fact I don’t think I have found an IEM that makes the R3 II this good, ever?

The Shanling UA3:
Totally great, I mean there are IEMs out there that go forward to delineate the response here. Typically the UA3 is a slimply bit softer in texture and holding a softer smoother bass, with less digital harshness up on top. And yes it is that way, only this totally works as there is maybe a quality held with-in the IEM that goes forward just to make every combination listenable. As no rain on this parade, either?

The SIMGOT AUDIO DEW4X:
So this is unusual in that I have a SIMGOT Cable, SIMGOT Dongle and SIMGOT IEM! Oh, the pressure of it all. The way these different devices work is the HiBy R3 II has a slightly smoother edges out into the stage, the DEW4X is more forward and offers a boost in clarity in the upper midrange, now with more resolving IEMs this boost can become stark or grainy, but not in this playback. This area is even more forward than the Shangling UA3 and it holds a cleaner more forward, not as soft of bass. Less reverberations than the first two DAC and Dongle, but no stridence or heat here, just clarity at hand. Where the R3 II is set slightly back and the UA3 too is not as forward in details, where the UA3 has a more analogue style of style. This DEW4X is more vivid and clear, big in stage and the notes holding a nice weight, but fast, clear and fast.

The Sony WM1A:
Here, this becomes my favorite way to go. Now the interesting part is the EA1000 goes ahead to proclaim such extra digital quality held in this more expensive device. I mean sure I can hear changes, yet once again the importance of these differences between devices means less. The LM has a wonderful way of smoothing out the rough spots and making everything digestible. The stage is the biggest and there is a tighter bass, and an old fashioned display that somehow reminds me of the Shanling UA3 a little, in that nothing is as forward in positioning as the DEW4X. And truly none of the playbacks here are right or wrong, I mean that’s the best part, in that all are just another variation of great.

DSC_0306.jpegas.jpeg

Music Tests:
This is by far the easiest section of the review and the most fun, don’t tell me about the labor pains……..just show me the baby. The results here, I mean really all this talk of comparisons and different usage situations are good to get an idea as to what we are working with. Yet none of that matters if the IEM doesn’t playback music well. I have even placed this music section right at the very start of a review to show the importance. Except with the LM there is really a history and there are important concepts like if you have the EW200 should you upgrade? Or if you didn’t like the EA500 is there any worth in getting the next installment as maybe it would be too close to the same? And my answers to those questions are, a smoother AE500, without the peaks, even though you would think there would be seeing a graph. And the EW200 is simply (a less perfect of) an example of what is possible with almost the same tuning but you get better technicalities for the upgrade to the LM.

And so quite simply which would I rather have in my ears to do these music tests, the EW200, the EA500 or the LM?

You know the answer.

paradise-5e627e89429b7-1.jpg

KMFDM
Paradise
Megalo

44.1 kHz - 24 bit
Here is the thing, really there is a special pace that somehow includes all the LM does well with a song like this. We can boil the concepts down into basic sound (value concepts) and really that would work. The click-clack of a dialed in low end, thrusting this number into hyperdrive…….the actual movement here. The LM Driver, in fact it’s like a fast powerful motor and you’re shifting gears gaining torque…..there is no letting-up with how this driver performs. To ditch the Redcarmoose Labs signature hyperbole, the basic ideas (musically) are allowed to flourish due to tonal separation. At 00:42 when the kick drum makes its entrance we are reassured that the bass is not too overwhelming. In fact I can spot the drum and bass action set-up in place. It’s the fact that the transients are adding clarity to the movement and showing lesser built IEMs just how it’s done. While the basic lead-in of synth sequencing at 00:29 shows not really out front like with more pricey ideas of playback, there is though a correct timbre held, which is harder to spot as synthesizers are not real instruments, but exist virtually. Even the air blast that is a lead-in to our down-beat at 00:42 doesn’t get awards for being airy or totally out-front, simply reminding us of DD character and the intrinsic drawbacks of such. What makes this song though is somehow by contrast once the beat gets going the previously mentioned synthesizer sequence at 00:29 is then continuing on and locked rhythmically to the bass drum beat and the bass beat. And the guitar in this piece……..the single strangest thing about guitars in music is they are both rhythm instruments and hold musical power to change the tone chords of a song. So in general this ability results in guitars holding a beat and a melody, both at the same time. In fact the guitar in this song does exactly that, side-stepping a dual function to be both. In fact due to such ideas in playback we can either focus in on the guitar tone or choose for the sound rhythm to take on almost subliminal effects of pace held. Where here today the sound of the guitar is on the closer to home positioning and slightly subdued as far as tonal brightness goes. At 01:45 we are presented with a heavy (almost) vocoder effect layered into how vocals are presented. And here the producers chose to allocate such tricks farther out into the outskirts of the stage. Still what makes this song continue to move forward is the handclaps which are interlocked to the beat, the fact that at our menial performance guessed price of LM, somehow ends up just that much more? While not all the details, the LM is moving forward getting a grip on exactly the pace and groove of this number. That while the treble elements are not showcased or even all that much forward into position, they are in-fact accounted for and shown in perfect timbre. It is that magic trick that somehow lets us say to ourselves, that everything is included here in playback?

inception-music-from-the-motion-picture-644940af5132b.jpg

Hans Zimmer
Inception OST
Old Souls

44.1 kHz - 16 bit
My first attempt at description would have to be piano timbre. The timbre and the reverberations that accompany it. Where this piano is not buried in the slightest but still carries note-weight and a style of smooth demeanor that would be valuable at any price. Of course I have heard this in more detail, but the LM has a way that it makes you forget any other IEMs. At 00:53 the bass drop hits, now as always it is a little different with every IEM I hear. Surprisingly this style of playback is slightly more relaxed than I imagined it to be beforehand. And that is listening to songs for the very first time on an IEM. We always bring with us expectations in how we imagine the song to be fulfilled. Yet there can be a variation which is not wrong in any way, it just is the song being played back. The song will always have this demeanor (of replay) when we choose the same equipment. Much of this probably stems from the style of song being of the slower and romantic side. But beyond that even the first bass drop was slightly subdued in fashion to how I have heard this song on other IEMs. Where sure they (SIMGOT) are focusing on a style of replay that comes off way more expensive than it is with this number, only it may be from the strings and the piano? While sure this song doesn’t get intense until the end. And sure the EA1000 could show us a lift into how the instruments are separated, yet there is nothing wrong with this style of playback, though it isn’t as separated as you might have guessed? I’m thinking in this one case we have an IEM on the darker side, and a song going down that same street? Yet there are at 03:18 super high pitched pianos inside of reverberations that are fully separated and wonderful. All the instruments hold exact timbres. And even though this is a bass number, we are not drowned in bass frequencies, as there really is balance to it all. There are exquisite bass transients which are a welcome gift inside much of this song, and so well done, I’m looking for low-end (sub-bass) distortions and not finding any?

DSC_0234.jpegs.jpeg

Build:
The difference here is the EA500 had only one set of extra nozzles, yet with the LM we get two. Yep three nozzles all together. The solid metal construction seems like it may in fact add to the way we perceive distortions and vibrations, as the LM is heavy for its size at 11 grams. Using the back-side for a vent and another under the nozzle we are guaranteed a smooth in and out of airflow. I would say it is slightly better than average with noise occlusion. Though maybe it’s the weight of the LM, where even the thick and big 4.4mm aftermarket cable which is relatively quiet with the sound turned off. Though while still fingerprint magnets, it is the nozzle length that pulls on my heart strings here. Yep, perfect size and angle, allowing for me to use my favorite ear-tips, and the lock into the correct back spacer ring at the other end of the nozzle. While heavy in comparison to many IEMs, it is smaller than medium size, but way more important, it is the fact that the LM sits almost 100% on the inside of your ear. The (almost) flush 2Pins are just barely set back, but don’t suffer from QDC plugs like the SIMGOT EM6L. In 10 days I can’t count how many times I changed cables, yet totally smooth sailing with the LM?

DSC_0231.jpegone.jpeg

e.jpeg

DSC_0219.jpegs.jpeg

DSC_0221.jpegwa.jpeg

Cable:
The included cable is nice, and to reiterate the cable sound testing, the included cable gets us the basic overall sound here, with the smooth and still fairly detailed style of replay. Ergonomics are great, being it stays where you put it and doesn’t fight when asked to coil-up.

DSC_1243.jpegs.jpeg
2ww.jpeg
DSC_1241.jpegone.jpeg

DSC_1244.jpegw.jpeg

Below the SIMGOT AUDIO LC7 4.4mm Cable Experience
DSC_0305.jpegw.jpeg

DSC_0296.jpegdone.jpeg

Conclusion/Summary:
Funny that the darker chrome on the LM goes one step farther to differentiate itself from the old EA500. The other unique thing is I have never seen this style of chrome plating before, it must be new? While the LM does share tuning style with the EW200 and shows identical bass graphically, there is a psychoacoustic phenomena which occurs to the listener where better defined bass will sound like more bass. I am about 99% sure that is what is going on here. And sure for me that extra bass is sealing the deal making the LM my most favorite SIMGOT yet. So even though graphically it looks to be the same, the results heard are different. That same misunderstanding of the graphs would make you guess the LM’s 2.5kHz to 5.2kHz peaks would surface to make this IEM in particular brighter than the old EA500? When in truth that area is actually heard (opposite) to be smoother thus creating an easier more accessible listen……..for me anyway. Whatever the outcome SIMGOT knows what people want, continuously improving and dialing in these tunes closer to perfection. Myself, I would probably be game for an EA1000 LM edition? Call me a fanatic but I really do seem to hear how this second generation Lithium-Magnesium driver is improving basic replay across multiple levels. If it was possible to add such secret sauce to the EA1000, I’m in. In so many ways this hobby never changes…….meaning in my teens I visited older accomplished audiophiles and heard their systems play. Talk about fanatics……..they were passionate about the replay, yet what was put out by their then $1000.00 system was fast, but anemic, and almost all midrange and treble. You see earlier in audiophile history such musical tone was the only concept of clean pure electronics. And we can still purchase that kind of IEM today, but the LM is not one of them. Now we are rewarded with a big emotional bass, one that reaches slightly farther out into the soundstage than even the EA1000. An emotional experience that seems too good to be true, like it should be costing us more money. I’m at the point now where I can make my reviews as short or as long as I want, no one says a thing. I choose to make this review long because I’m on a mission. A mission to explain the hows and whys of just how good the LM is. Sure it’s not everything, except there is a way about the LM that brings about a tangible musicality to everything it touches? Every DAP/Amp, every cable. With that being said there is a good chance the support equipment you currently own will suffice to bring about the magic that I found, I just don’t see how it couldn’t happen, unless you are one of those old fashioned audiophiles, that had the bass tones turned down, then you wouldn’t be reading this far down in the first place. The singular trick here that SIMGOT AUDIO has accomplished has been to introduce an LM DD that somehow bypasses the old idea of what DD can do as far as separation and stage. While still acquiring the correct timbre DDs are known for, SIMGOT has upped the size of playback and in-turn created one of the most exciting IEMs of the year, won’t you join in the fun? :)

$89.99

Disclaimer:
I would like to thank Fia Lam from SIMGOT AUDIO for the opportunity to review EA500 LM!

Linsoul website: https://www.linsoul.com/
Linsoul Aliexpress Store: https://ddaudio.aliexpress.com/store/2894006
Linsoul USA Amazon Store link: https://www.amazon.com/s?i=merchant-items&me=A267P2DT104U3C

Equipment Used:
Sony WM1Z Walkman DAP MrWalkman Firmware 4.4mm and 3.5mm
Sony WM1A Walkman DAP MrWalkman Firmware 4.4mm and 3.5mm
Shanling UA3 Dongle 4.4mm balanced and 3.5mm output
Samsung Phone 3.5mm
HiBy R3 II 3.5mm/4.4mm output and USB Type-C output
SIMGOT AUDIO DEW4X with 4.4mm balanced output

These are the experiences and thoughts of a single individual, your results may vary.

DSC_1251.jpegs.jpeg
S
stan1121
Cable in EA500LM is more better compared with EW200?
@stan1121,
They are both relatively the same, though both are nice, I tend to favor 4.4mm which nether are.
S
stan1121
I prefer 4.4 too, I have Artti wave A8 cable with replaceable plugs ( I buy them for ea500 lm). I have EW200 too, for me on 3.5 plays poor.
I wonder if this cable
Trn t2 pro 16

He would be as good as this Artti wave A8?

inscythe

100+ Head-Fier
Simgot EA500LM Review - "Refinement doesn't always have to cost more"
Pros: - Very technical for a single DD
- Easy-to-like tonality, not too coloured
- Excellent extension on both ends
- Great build quality
- EQ friendly
Cons: - Stock cable only available in 3.5mm, quite mediocre
- Bass might sound a tad lean
Disclaimer: Simgot provided me with a review unit. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Unaffiliated link here.

1707067730550.png

Introduction and Packaging Impression​

Simgot EA500LM ($89.99) is a single dynamic driver IEM with all metal body and swappable tuning nozzles. It is an incremental improvement over EA500, with the "LM" here referring to their new diaphragm material, lithium-magnesium (previously, it was DLC diaphragm in EA500). Back in early 2023, EA500 made a huge waves for being the "new benchmark under $100", dethroning the ever-popular Moondrop Aria. Personally, I was not really impressed by EA500 sound-wise, but I was intrigued at the accessories and potential tuning possibilities with the release of EA500 tuning kit. I guess all that experimentation bore fruit in this revision of EA500, the LM version sounds to me like a huge leap over the original, despite a modest $10 price increase.

1707067682790.png

1707067785173.png

1707067825728.png

1707067875786.png

The packaging is virtually identical to EA500 with a difference in the cover art. There are also very similar set of accessories, with the EA500LM having an extra set of different type of tuning nozzle (the default gold nozzle). There are a set each of S/M/L eartips, a stock 3.5mm cable, and a hard carrying case. For the price, this is one of the most generous accessories set, although I do hope that they can provide a 4.4mm cable option.

Sound Impression​

Sources: SMSL H300+D300 stack, Fiio Q15, Hiby FC6, Simgot DEW4X, Fiio M11S, L&P W2-131, Hiby Digital M300
Setup: Stock L size eartips, stock cable (3.5mm), Simgot LC7 cable (4.4mm)
Music Sources: Local FLAC (redbook/hi-res), Tidal Masters, Apple Music Lossless

The IEM has undergone a 24-hour burn-in at a medium volume for prior to the review.

Listening impression is a very subjective experience depending on individual ear shape, choice of eartips, music library, and personal preferences, so your experience may vary. I personally listen mostly to pop, jazz, some rock, and very limited metal.

First, I have to address the tuning nozzles. This is my brief impressions of each of them:
- Gold with red ring (default): the smoothest nozzle, no sibilance nor sharpness, decent details and treble texture
- Silver with black ring: sparklier than the default nozzle, most detailed and textured at the cost of being the sharpest, closest to Simgot's target
- Silver with red ring: in-between tuning between the other two nozzle, some more treble texture and moderate sharpness, closest to Harman target

Trying out all three nozzle, I prefer the gold nozzle in the end due to the smoothness and tonal balance across the spectrum. I will proceed with the review with this nozzle.

The EA500LM tuning seems to be based on general Harman target direction (DF neutral with bass boost), with subbass emphasis that slopes into midrange smoothly, giving it a mild U-shape signature. It is definitely targeting a more neutral-leaning group of listeners. The technicalities are pretty impressive for the price range, most notably in the bass and treble extension, giving a very wide dynamic range. The timbre is natural and organic.

Bass​

I think EA500LM has a very clean bass with decent amount of subbass rumble. The bass expression is on the faster and lean side with snappier attack and somewhat short delay, having enough sustain to keep it from sounding too thin. The quantity and texture aren't basshead level, but adding some bass with PEQ would easily solve that in case you need more bass. Luckily, the the driver is very receptive to EQ very well and does not distort when pushed. The bass texture is quite detailed and deep. For most genres and types of listeners, the bass is adequate and enjoyable.

Midrange​

EA500LM delivers an excellent midrange, easily the strongest element of the IEM. The midrange does sound more forward without sacrificing the bass and treble details. The layering of vocals and instruments is clean and impeccable, bringing out a very nuanced performance out of both male and female vocalists. There are enough thickness and weight to the midrange to also render most midrange instruments like guitar and saxophone very well.

Treble​

There is enough treble energy in EA500LM to bright out the airiness and details in the treble. The treble extension is quite exemplary for this price range and the texture is impressive without being shouty or sibilant. Throughout my listening sessions, I did not experience any excessively sharp notes that I normally found with similarly-graphed IEMs.

Technicalities​

The soundstage of EA500LM is moderately sized, closer to a small studio or cafe, more on the width than the height. The resolution is amazing due to that excellent treble extension, bringing out the subtle details in live performances very well. Imaging and layering are great despite the modest soundstage, which I attributed to the excellent lithium-magnesium driver here.

Driving Requirements & Pairing Suggestion​

1707067935457.jpeg

(with Simgot LC7 upgrade cable)

EA500LM is very easy to drive, even through 3.5mm single-ended outputs. With more power, it does scale a decent amount on the stock cable, but with the LC7 upgrade cable, it does open up even more: snappier bass, wider soundstage, and improved dynamics.

Select Comparisons​

Simgot EA500 ($79):
I think EA500LM is a straight upgrade to EA500. If you like EA500, you will be very likely enjoy the EA500LM more. The subbass extension is improved while taming in the sharpness in the upper midrange. Resolution is also increased, soundstage is slightly larger, and the layering is improved. To be perfectly honest, with EA500LM, there is very little reason to buy EA500.

Simgot EM6L ($110):
Slightly moving up the price tier in Simgot to EM6L, I personally prefer the EA500LM. The EM6L might take an edge in resolution and layering, but my biggest issue with it was the coherence. EA500LM is smoother and being a single-driver IEM, it has no issues with coherence while keeping very close technical performance to EM6L. Timbre is also more natural on the EA500LM. Depending on individual preferences, I can still see how EM6L might be preferred over EA500LM, but personally I think EA500LM is a winner.

Simgot EA1000 ($219):
Quite an unfair comparison here, but this is just to highlight a diminishing returns in audio. EA1000 easily beats EA500LM in both technical and tonal aspects: the EA1000 has higher resolution and wider soundstage, having stronger subbass rumble and texture. However, the difference between EA500LM and EA1000 is much closer that it is between EA500 and EA1000. The EA500LM sounds like a more laid-back version of EA1000, while giving it a more relaxed technicalities and more balanced tonal characteristics for a much cheaper price.

Moondrop Aria 2 ($90):
Another steadfast contender in under $100 range, the recently released Aria 2 is pretty similar in tuning to EA500LM. Tonally, I find Aria 2 is slightly warmer and darker, with weaker resolution but wider soundstage. Both are excellent improvements over their respective predecessors, however I think that the leap that EA500LM made over EA500 is much more significant than Aria 2 over Aria. As a whole package, I personally prefer the EA500LM.

Conclusion and Final Thoughts​

EA500LM positioning is weird, which I feel kind of cannibalizing Simgot's own product line (especially the EA500 and EM6L), a move that I really respect Simgot for. This thought came to me because I find EA500LM to be way too good for its price range and at the current state of the market, I believe that this is indeed the current under $100 benchmark. I am very thoroughly impressed by Simgot by beginning 2024 this strong, and I do hope for an even stronger year this year too. I am highly recommending the EA500LM.
Colin5619
A great review, I too prefer the LM over the original ea500. In fact just yesterday I gave my ea500 to one of my sons, who loved its sound. I think it’s a reasonable upgrade over the ea500.
Abbeyrd1969
Abbeyrd1969
I have had my LM's for a week now. I have found that the Brass nozzle with Final E-Type tips works best for me. In comparing them to other single DD's in my set, the closest I can find to the LM signature are the MEZE RAI SOLO. Everyone trashed them when they came out, but I found them to be just as good as the LM's for micro, macro and soundstage. Of course the MEZE are $200, but that was several years ago when they came out.,. LM's definitely punch above their weight. Now I have the KATO and MEZE back in my rotation for a wonderful comparison. Great review. Thank you!

Headphones and Coffee

Previously known as Wretched Stare
Improvement of a good IEM
Pros: Great quality Bass , vocals, and tuning. Built well and nice accessories.
Cons: The upper Mid brightness may be too much for a few.
PXL_20231211_172400923.jpg

PXL_20231211_172928310.jpg

The EA500LM comes with basic but good accessories, inside the package is the units themselves with their shinny chrome and robust built shell, a case big enough for everything, standard Simgot tips and a lovely cable. The units are built like a tank and while they do have some heft, they aren't overly uncomfortable or heavy. The provided hours of usage with no ear hot spots or pain. The isolation will depend on the individual but for me it was excellent.

The Sound:
Bass:
The LM presents with spacious sounding lower end with good weight to the bass, the texture is slightly thicker with noticeable mid bass lift. Kick drums sound really good The Bass has very good speed and depth. It is more a deep controlled rumble and less a Bass head IEM.
Mids: are still in front but not too much just in front of the instruments, mids have a noticeable note weight and texture vocals both male and female are well placed, and female vocals do have an increased upper mid energy but nothing too harsh.
Treble: is a little more relaxed but still maintained enough details and smoothly presented them.
Staging: is natural, kind of like listening in a cafe or club, it's nice details and a accurate imaging makes these good for games on the go.
Nozzels the Brass is more expansive and emphasized throughout giving it a well-balanced signature.
The Black is more towards the Neutral tunning with thinner note weight and better details. The Red is my favorite offering an excellent lower end and thicker Mids and vocals while treble remains similar in all three.

Afterthoughts:
The new Lithium and magnesium version of the already liked EA500 is a step forward and a nice evolution of an already good product.

Thanks for the review.
Colin5619
Received my EA500 LM today and very similar finding as you.
Great review!