Schiit Audio Magni 3+ and Magni 3 Heresy Headphone Amp and Preamp

General Information

Schiit_Magni-3+_HeresyDSCF3827.jpg

Latest reviews

Pros: Value, sound quality, headphone drive.
Cons: Not for your HE6/HE6SE/Susvara, LCD-4 or similarly very demanding headphones.

Schiit Audio sent me both these amps for evaluation and review.

In short, both these amps were excellent with all the regular headphones I plugged in to them, and near silent with even Campfire Audio's Andromedas (on low gain). It actually took me using unrealistically demanding headphones (HiFiMan's Susvaras) to get them to struggle. For the HD6XX, Verum 1, Sundara and other similar headphones they were driven, at my moderate listening levels, very well, with almost as much capability as the Asgard. The Asgard maintained its composure at high power outputs, though most people are likely to never see those.

Better amps (i.e.: Anything THX based, such as the SMSL SP200 or better) resolved more detail, but you're getting closer to 3x the cost. On the other hand, they were a step up from iFi's Zen DAC (using USB power and balanced output), likely primarily due to having more power on tap before sliding into Class AB.

The old Magni 3 had something of a "flat", if wide presentation of the music, but these new amps seem to provide something of a sense of depth to the music as well, which is very impressive for $99. The 3+ was very slightly more even-sounding, something I'm guessing is the result of using matched transistor pairs (6 of those 8-legged chips which look like opamps, but are not, in the second picture). The Heresy had a very slightly, and often unnoticeably more "lively" sound.

Well worth 5 stars for the value these give.

Schiit_Magni-3+_HeresyDSCF3827.jpg Schiit_Magni-3+_HeresyDSCF3820.jpg Schiit_Magni-3+_HeresyDSCF3828.jpg Schiit_Magni-3+_HeresyDSCF3829.jpg
HeadphoneAddict
HeadphoneAddict
I think when someone posts "lively" that in my head it's about being slightly aggressive sounding? Or possibly that means being more energetic (pop and lock) but not actually aggressive in nature (Edition-X is more lively than an HD-650).

I haven't gotten around to unpacking my Magni 3+ that I got for myself as a Christmas present, but the previous Magni 3 that I gave my son last Christmas sounds great while being fed from his Audioengine D1 DAC using some generic silver plated copper RCA interconnects. His Magni 3 was a good match for his HE-560 (as well as with Westone and NXEars IEM), and I'd use it in a heartbeat with my HD600 and HD650 as well.

But the old 3 wasn't a good match with our HD-800 or HD-800s (although my son's Pioneer VSX-LX103 receiver is great with HD800). So, I'll have to try out my 3+ and post my thoughts after I have tried it for a while (I can compare it to my Magni 1, but the Magni 3 is at college with my son).
Annarob1947
Annarob1947
Hi, have been absent for a couple of years, am looking at either the Vali2 or Heresy to pair with Grado rs2e, any views please
NA Blur
NA Blur
Heresy hands down. Way better amp in terms of measurements and upkeep. Vali2 has tubes which add a ton of distortion, heat, and problems down the road. You won’t regret your Heresy purchase.

Comments

There are no comments to display.