xuelin ihifi780
Jan 19, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #16 of 275

Jan 22, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #17 of 275
  My 780 is still on its way from China; it has not cleared customs yet in China, so I probably will have to wait another 7-10 days for its arrival...

Really looking for your impressions jdog!

Jan 22, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #20 of 275
I'm interested in this DAP and curious to learn which lossy formats are supported.

I found this eBay listing, which states that the device will play AAC files, but I haven't seen that information anywhere else. I've got a lot of iTunes .m4a files, because my wife's all in with The Fruit Company. I've purchased a couple of AGPtEK H01's and they sounded great, but both had defects on arrival (one had scratches and the other had a defective volume knob), and I'm a bit hesitant to purchase a third one.

If you could let us know whether it will play aac / .m4a files jdog, that would be cool.

Jan 24, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #21 of 275
  I'm interested in this DAP and curious to learn which lossy formats are supported.

I found this eBay listing, which states that the device will play AAC files, but I haven't seen that information anywhere else. I've got a lot of iTunes .m4a files, because my wife's all in with The Fruit Company. I've purchased a couple of AGPtEK H01's and they sounded great, but both had defects on arrival (one had scratches and the other had a defective volume knob), and I'm a bit hesitant to purchase a third one.

If you could let us know whether it will play aac / .m4a files jdog, that would be cool.

I should receive the 780 soon and as soon as I get it, I'll try out a few AAC files...  I'll get back to you soon...

Jan 28, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #23 of 275

Not yet fully tested. I just noticed some clicks when skipping songs. I will do further testing when I get home tonight.

Sweet! Could you tell us if it plays flac files without issues? The 770(c) without Rockbox had fair issues with warble with flac...

Jan 28, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #25 of 275

Yes, the 780 plays AAC and ALAC files, but it does not play AIFF files.  I am getting my first DSD 64 file today, so I'll try this out later.  I have played some FLAC files (16/44) with no problems today.  I'll look into some higher res FLAC files later this weekend.  The sound quality is very good, I prefer HO B; there is a setting to change to LO, and there appear to be a graphic equalizer, but I need to figure out how to set this up.  More later...  oh, yes, there is a slight click when changing songs...

Jan 28, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #26 of 275
Yes, the 780 plays AAC files.  I don't think it plays ALAC files, but it appears to play AIFF files.  I am getting my first DSD 64 file today, so I'll try this out later.  I have played some FLAC files (16/44) with no problems today.  I'll look into some higher res FLAC files later this weekend.  The sound quality is very good, I prefer HO B; there is a setting to change to LO, and there appear to be a graphic equalizer, but I need to figure out how to set this up.  More later...  oh, yes, there is a slight click when changing songs...

Awesome. If/when you get a chance, any SQ comparisons to the 770 (orug if possible) would be most appreciated!

Jan 28, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #29 of 275

I posted a quick impression on this DAP at my local audio group back home.  Not sure if this will benefit with further burn in but here's my early impression OOTB:

This is an interesting little DAP. Some new features that I see here are the two HP out ports having two different sound signatures. One on the left sounds mid-centric and the other on the right focuses more on instruments (and a bit louder when switching ports directly).  By comparing the two ports, I have noticed some peaks on female vocals, but only on high-pitched notes, on the left HP out.  The right HP out sounds more balanced for me and I liked this better.  Indeed, the instruments sounded fantastic, especially strings and percussion.  Though I heard some sibilance on some high-pitched female vocals  (probably more on the left).

There's enough punch on the midbass but I'd prefer a deeper subbass (though it's decent).  Bass sounds full bodied overall but the xDuoo X10 sounds a bit cleaner.

Treble strikes me as somewhat between natural to smooth sounding.  Missing a bit on mircodetails but both this and the mids doesn't feel veiled or recessed at all.

Another new feature that I see is the bass boost toggle.  I feel like it makes the overall signature darker when used with an IEM.  I prefer to use this on earbuds to give additional body to the overall sound.  Line out works properly and I've got a wider soundstage using the Vorzamp Duo.

I think you will find the overall signature of this DAP on the warm side due to the full-bodied bass, intimate vocals due to the limited width in stage but deep enough to hear proper layering and background instruments.  This is just a quick run through on the DAP's sound characteristics out of the box.  As we probably hear things differently, YMMV.

Pros:
- DSD decoding (tested up to 64 only, 256 on paper)
- small footprint for a highly capable DAP, easy to stack
- two HP out ports with different sound signatures
- line out for stacking amps
- bass boost toggle
- might appeal to vocal lovers

Cons:
- a bit narrow (but deep) soundstage
- there's a tendency to get peaky (left port) and sibilant (right port) vocals
- only folder playing (I can't seem to find an SD card scanning feature)
- quite sharp on the DAP's edges (the leather case alleviated this)

Jan 28, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #30 of 275
  Yes, the 780 plays AAC files.  I don't think it plays ALAC files, but it appears to play AIFF files.  I am getting my first DSD 64 file today, so I'll try this out later.  I have played some FLAC files (16/44) with no problems today.  I'll look into some higher res FLAC files later this weekend.  The sound quality is very good, I prefer HO B; there is a setting to change to LO, and there appear to be a graphic equalizer, but I need to figure out how to set this up.  More later...  oh, yes, there is a slight click when changing songs...

Hey thanks. Much appreciated! Now... this or the AGPtEK for a third go-round? Decisions, decisions....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back