WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Apr 13, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #2,401 of 2,600

it's probably worth mentioning here that you're referring to the WA7 version 1 in regards to the dac.

Yes, I thought that was made clear in my opening sentence.

Apparently you must feel the follow-on version is much improved.

I must admit that I find the differences in DACs much harder to distinguish than the actual HP itself.

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #2,404 of 2,600
  Can someone help me decide between wa7 and wa7d...a little confused on the pros/cons of each...thanks

The main difference is the WA7d has an additional Optical Input. The WA7d cannot be upgraded to the 2nd Gen DAC with improved amplifier circuitry though. Only the WA7 can be upgraded. I'm not sure if Woo Audio has any plans to allow the WA7d to be upgraded to 2nd Gen, but as of a week ago when I e-mailed them they said it could not be upgraded.

Apr 19, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #2,405 of 2,600

The main difference is the WA7d has an additional Optical Input. The WA7d cannot be upgraded to the 2nd Gen DAC with improved amplifier circuitry though. Only the WA7 can be upgraded. I'm not sure if Woo Audio has any plans to allow the WA7d to be upgraded to 2nd Gen, but as of a week ago when I e-mailed them they said it could not be upgraded.

Not positive but I also think the WA7d cannot be used as a pure DAC?  I believe it's RCA are only inputs.

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #2,406 of 2,600

@AD67 There are no plans to change WA7d design. This allow our customers to choose between the two DACs. If you need optical, choose WA7d. Optical is not commonly found today and will likely fade away soon. 

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #2,407 of 2,600
  Why do some people seem to prefer the WA8 to the WA7?  

I'm somewhat confused that if the WA8 is around the same price, why would the small battery powered WA8 be superior to the WA7?  

I've seen a few people say the WA8 is amazing and the WA7 didn't do it for them.  Maybe I just really love my CBS Hytrons?  idk.

Anyone one hear also have a WA8?  Or just in general have thoughts on that?

+1

i want to know as well. i am between getting WA7tp again as desktop tube amp or going with WA8. yet i didn't find enough info about WA7 vs WA8

anyone? 

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #2,408 of 2,600
+1

i want to know as well. i am between getting WA7tp again as desktop tube amp or going with WA8. yet i didn't find enough info about WA7 vs WA8

anyone? 

Probably because they're using standard WA7. WA8 sounds a little more euphonic and lush than standard WA7 so if they're looking for that kind of sound in small form factor it's easier to just get WA8. But WA7tp is way ahead of WA8 imo and I've heard both, especially in headroom. Plus once you do some tube rolls in the power supply it's not even a fair fight.

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #2,409 of 2,600
Probably because they're using standard WA7. WA8 sounds a little more euphonic and lush than standard WA7 so if they're looking for that kind of sound in small form factor it's easier to just get WA8. But WA7tp is way ahead of WA8 imo and I've heard both, especially in headroom. Plus once you do some tube rolls in the power supply it's not even a fair fight.

i had WA7tp with Mullard Tubes. i bet that WA8 can't top that. if so i would go for it.

May 25, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #2,410 of 2,600
So kyle I'm gonna sell my WA7s to move up in the world (my goal is like Utopia, Yggdrasil, and... some amp...) you would recommend the WA22s over the WA8?

I guess I'd be comparing stock WA22s vs WA8s, as the 1000 dollar tube upgrades seem insane to me.

BTW people my WA7s are listed and I'll be including my rare CBS Hytron military grade tubes (yellow markings on the top mean that I guess?) That I've never been able to find anywhere else if you want some awesome sounding unique tubes.

May 26, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #2,411 of 2,600
Yeah stock WA8 can't hold a candle to stock WA22 especially if you're gonna eventually go Utopia. It has waaay more power, control, and detail. Stock WA22 sounds like WA7tp maxed out with the Hytrons but a little better in every way. Imaging, soundstage, clarity, and most noticeably tonality and texture take a step up. WA7tp is still slightly smoother sounding though, but maybe that's due to less treble extension than WA22.

Tube upgrades aren't $1000 on WA22 unless you really want to scratch that itch and take it that far. They're definitely more than WA7tp tubes by a lot but hey that's the hobby right? You can get one of the best rectifier tubes available for $30 actually. Fantastic power tubes for around $300 and similar pricing for drivers...just do it over time. Stock WA22 (with Psvane rectifier) is still incredible.

Lastly, IMO, stay away from that Yggdrasil. Not to offend anyone but it's getting long in the tooth internal technology-wise. I went dac shopping recently at CanJam socal and listened to all the dacs in that price range. Yggdrasil is definitely good, but sounds very cold and mechanical compared to the musical, rich, and flowing precision detailed sound signature of the Mytek Brooklyn or to a greater extent Chord Hugo 2(which I instantly preordered cuz holy crap it's on another level).

As far as amps, if you love tube sound WA22 never disappoints. Solid state best stuff in your price range is probably Wells Milo or better yet Violectric V281. Utopias are amazing though. I've only heard a few headphones better but that might be a taste thing.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #2,412 of 2,600
Yup. And to my ears the gold pin tube upgrade in the amp made all my other ps tubes sound more flat. Not a fan.

To be honest, I upsold myself all the way to a WA22 with holy grail tubes and LCD-4s and I still sometimes miss the sound of my WA7tp with CBS Hytrons and LCD-Xs. In fact my WA7 is in its box in my closet waiting for when I move to a bigger place to use it in an office. I'll never get rid of it no matter how much I upgrade my new rig. It's just so good.
This!!! I have an expensive Moon HAD AMP/DAC yet love the sound of various Russian tubes on the 2nd generation WA7. If I don't think about the smooth liquid almost perfect sound that I'm currently getting out of my selection of headphones I would jump at the purchase. But I have gobs of power, did I say smooth? and a luscious sound to listen to whilst working on my computer from home. I'm supposed to be retired but I love music so much that I trade precious metals and day trade crypto currencies while listening to memories in a way that just wasn't possible a few years ago. Just think my LCD4's are going to be replicated by Audeze with LCDi4's. They're supposed to be incredible. And all that I need is a iPhone, Android and a Chord Mojo.

Now for the decision. Love the look of the cube. Best bet is to just set one up in another room. I have the retina MacBook I can set u on the coffee table with the Woo and the office/bedroom keeps the iMac and Moon. Combo somehow? Ideas welcome. Thank you for listening in written form.

May 26, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #2,414 of 2,600
Yeah stock WA8 can't hold a candle to stock WA22 especially if you're gonna eventually go Utopia. It has waaay more power, control, and detail. Stock WA22 sounds like WA7tp maxed out with the Hytrons but a little better in every way. Imaging, soundstage, clarity, and most noticeably tonality and texture take a step up. WA7tp is still slightly smoother sounding though, but maybe that's due to less treble extension than WA22.

Tube upgrades aren't $1000 on WA22 unless you really want to scratch that itch and take it that far. They're definitely more than WA7tp tubes by a lot but hey that's the hobby right? You can get one of the best rectifier tubes available for $30 actually. Fantastic power tubes for around $300 and similar pricing for drivers...just do it over time. Stock WA22 (with Psvane rectifier) is still incredible.

Lastly, IMO, stay away from that Yggdrasil. Not to offend anyone but it's getting long in the tooth internal technology-wise. I went dac shopping recently at CanJam socal and listened to all the dacs in that price range. Yggdrasil is definitely good, but sounds very cold and mechanical compared to the musical, rich, and flowing precision detailed sound signature of the Mytek Brooklyn or to a greater extent Chord Hugo 2(which I instantly preordered cuz holy crap it's on another level).

As far as amps, if you love tube sound WA22 never disappoints. Solid state best stuff in your price range is probably Wells Milo or better yet Violectric V281. Utopias are amazing though. I've only heard a few headphones better but that might be a taste thing.
Hm... I don't know how it scales but I found the Bifrost to thrash mojo. It was way more dynamic and detailed.

Additionally how well would it work at a can jam? Aren't they supposed to warm up for like a week?

I'm also surprised you like Hugo 2 so much, I havent heard great things about the first one vs mojo. Like a small portable dac sounded better to you than all the desktop options in that range?

What headphones were better? LCD-4s?

I love the HD800 sound for the most part (wish they were warmer) so I wanted another dynamic driver.

Thanks for the always helpful responses!

May 26, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #2,415 of 2,600
This!!! I have an expensive Moon HAD AMP/DAC yet love the sound of various Russian tubes on the 2nd generation WA7. If I don't think about the smooth liquid almost perfect sound that I'm currently getting out of my selection of headphones I would jump at the purchase. But I have gobs of power, did I say smooth? and a luscious sound to listen to whilst working on my computer from home. I'm supposed to be retired but I love music so much that I trade precious metals and day trade crypto currencies while listening to memories in a way that just wasn't possible a few years ago. Just think my LCD4's are going to be replicated by Audeze with LCDi4's. They're supposed to be incredible. And all that I need is a iPhone, Android and a Chord Mojo.

Now for the decision. Love the look of the cube. Best bet is to just set one up in another room. I have the retina MacBook I can set u on the coffee table with the Woo and the office/bedroom keeps the iMac and Moon. Combo somehow? Ideas welcome. Thank you for listening in written form.

Right? The WA7tp is downright seductive once those tubes get hot. I'll probably never part with it. If you can run your Moon as dac only yeah maybe try a combo system just to have tube sound from time to time.

Those LCDi4's look so drool worthy omg. I wouldn't use them with a Mojo though. Mojo is super good for mid-fi gear, but from experience with mine once you get into higher end and ultra revealing headphones you can easily hear its flaws and it's annoying. Again, Hugo 2 or at least a really powerful dap with top notch dac built-in would be the only way to treat those i4s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back