Woo Audio WA8 Review - Head-Fi TV
Feb 25, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #392 of 903

I need advice re WA8.

I received mine yesterday and tried it out with TIDAL streaming from iPhone with HD 800S and Ether Flow C.  Loved the sound!  It's one of the most solid-feeling, well-made devices of any kind I have every touched.

Now I have a problem.  I am audiophile old guy acquainting myself with the new headphone products, etc.  Bought an Oppo HA-1 last month, and it's fine, but I love the tube sound of the WA8 and see tubes as my future.

Should I return the WA8 and go up to the WA 22?  If so, what do I do for the DAC portion?  Woo Firefly?  Some other tube DAC product?  Use the Oppo for DAC only? 

I really don't need the transportability of the WA8, but wanted Woo's latest product. Is the WA 22 going to be a huge improvement over the WA8?  I don't mind disposing of the HA-1 but, as I said, I'm new and the solid state sound, even though quite nice, pales compared to the Woo, to my taste.  (I'm old enough to remember playing records on a big hi-fi)

I'd sure appreciate any thoughts/advice.

-Bill    

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #393 of 903
Loved the sound!  It's one of the most solid-feeling, well-made devices of any kind I have every touched.

(I'm old enough to remember playing records on a big hi-fi)

-Bill    

Your problem is that you're an old audiophile with nervosa tendencies (something always better out there!). I am also of the same era, and share those tendencies.

My advice: listen to your ears. If the WA8 sounds great to you, why the heck would you complicate life by selling it and going with a two-box solution you haven't heard?

Kick back, enjoy listening via the WA8, and forget anything else exists.

That's what I should have done.

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #394 of 903
Your problem is that you're an old audiophile with nervosa tendencies (something always better out there!). I am also of the same era, and share those tendencies.

My advice: listen to your ears. If the WA8 sounds great to you, why the heck would you complicate life by selling it and going with a two-box solution you haven't heard?

Kick back, enjoy listening via the WA8, and forget anything else exists.

That's what I should have done.

Excellent advice! I'd love to pick up a WA8 at some point...

Feb 26, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #395 of 903
I need advice re WA8.

I received mine yesterday and tried it out with TIDAL streaming from iPhone with HD 800S and Ether Flow C.  Loved the sound!  It's one of the most solid-feeling, well-made devices of any kind I have every touched.

Now I have a problem.  I am audiophile old guy acquainting myself with the new headphone products, etc.  Bought an Oppo HA-1 last month, and it's fine, but I love the tube sound of the WA8 and see tubes as my future.

Should I return the WA8 and go up to the WA 22?  If so, what do I do for the DAC portion?  Woo Firefly?  Some other tube DAC product?  Use the Oppo for DAC only? 

I really don't need the transportability of the WA8, but wanted Woo's latest product. Is the WA 22 going to be a huge improvement over the WA8?  I don't mind disposing of the HA-1 but, as I said, I'm new and the solid state sound, even though quite nice, pales compared to the Woo, to my taste.  (I'm old enough to remember playing records on a big hi-fi)

-Bill    

I have listened to the WA8 extensively now for some time. And I also own a HA-1, WA22 and a DAVE so I can offer my thoughts on this exact question.

The most surprising thing is that the WA8 sounds somewhat similar to the HA-1 going into the WA22, especially in 3 tube mode. The WA8 also sounds somewhat similar to the HA-2 itself in 2 tube mode, just like you said. I guess it is because they both use the ESS Sabre 9018 DAC chip.

The biggest difference with the WA22 is the soundstage and instrument separation. The WA22 is clearly superior to the WA8 regarding those factors, and it has more tube warmth, especially with the tubes that I chose for it. And the soundstage and the instrument separation increases further when you use the DAVE as the DAC, as the WA22 seems to scale very well with DAC choices. Each instrument in my current setup is identifiable and separate in space, whereas the WA8 seems to push them together to some degree. But if I hadn't ever heard my current setup, the WA8 would be still be pretty awesome on its own. The fact that it is transportable is icing on the cake.

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #396 of 903

I need advice re WA8.

-Bill    

WA8 is a unique product. For the first time, users can enjoy truly un-compromised desktop-class sound from a DAC/amp system that fits in a backpack or a briefcase. We’ve had many customers write us saying they are enjoying high quality music more often and in places they couldn’t in the past. e.g. late night listening, in the bedroom, from home to the office, in hotel room when traveling, etc. WA8 Eclipse revolutionize when and where audiophiles can use their system. 

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #398 of 903
Recently posted my review of the WA8: http://www.head-fi.org/products/wooaudio-wa8-eclipse/reviews/18231

To quote well... myself: "I've gotten off the merry-go-round for the headphone circuit (with my PS1000s and ZMF Ori's), and now, thanks to the Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse, I see the end of the tunnel for upstream gear as well."

Love this little guy!

Mar 19, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #399 of 903
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that just the DC input to charge the Omnicharge Pro?
I received my OmniCharge Pro today which will be used for charging (extending?) the usages duration of my WA8. Despite it having an AC outlet, I actually don't think this is the best way to charge the WA8. with an original DC internal -> AC external -> DC charge. That would be rather inefficient.

I plan to use the barrel output below instead and configure it to charge the WA8 which IMHO is a more efficient DC-DC charge. I'll need to find a barrel to barrel cable though.

I'd expect this to be more efficient than the ChargeTech portable pack mentioned earlier in the threads.

The omnicharge pro (dc out) DOES NOT WORK with the WA8, at least not my sample.  The omni auto reverts to pulling power from the WA8 after a short time of apparent charging.  No method of connecting, turning on/off etc I've tried works.  The manufacturer refuses to reply to my emails.  Strongly suggest finding another power option.

Mar 19, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #400 of 903
  The omnicharge pro (dc out) DOES NOT WORK with the WA8, at least not my sample.  The omni auto reverts to pulling power from the WA8 after a short time of apparent charging.  No method of connecting, turning on/off etc I've tried works.  The manufacturer refuses to reply to my emails.  Strongly suggest finding another power option.

Here's what I get :-

Per Omnicharge page: https://omnicharge.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/235925288-Icon-Explanations
"Adjustable DC output: Adjustable 1V-24V DC is activated."

As you can see above, I've set mine to 12.6V output.

What status is your WA8 when you're trying to use your OmniCharge? Is your WA8 fully drained or does it still have some charge left when you plug into the WA8?

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #401 of 903

Here's what I get :-

Per Omnicharge page: https://omnicharge.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/235925288-Icon-Explanations
"Adjustable DC output: Adjustable 1V-24V DC is activated."

As you can see above, I've set mine to 12.6V output.

What status is your WA8 when you're trying to use your OmniCharge? Is your WA8 fully drained or does it still have some charge left when you plug into the WA8?

I have the same setup.  I've tried the wa8 fully, half, empty charge with the same results.  Always reverts to drawing power from the WA8.  Sometimes it takes a few minutes, at other times immediately.

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #402 of 903
  I have the same setup.  I've tried the wa8 fully, half, empty charge with the same results.  Always reverts to drawing power from the WA8.  Sometimes it takes a few minutes, at other times immediately.

Weird. So, for the photo above, the WA8 was between 4 & 5 LED charged (i.e it was almost fully charged). I've taken just another photo now - approx 50 mins after the one above :-

I haven't disconnected it from the Omnicharge, I've not switched off the WA8. I've also not plugged anything else into the Omnicharge since but I did just switched off the USB as such the USB icon disappearing. As you can see the Omnicharge battery has dropped to 77% from 99%. My WA8 has 5 fully lit LEDs.

P.S. I'll PM you as it's kinda off topic for the non Omnicharge owners here - even though it's for the WA8.

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #403 of 903

Weird. So, for the photo above, the WA8 was between 4 & 5 LED charged (i.e it was almost fully charged). I've taken just another photo now - approx 50 mins after the one above :-

I haven't disconnected it from the Omnicharge, I've not switched off the WA8. I've also not plugged anything else into the Omnicharge since but I did just switched off the USB as such the USB icon disappearing. As you can see the Omnicharge battery has dropped to 77% from 99%. My WA8 has 5 fully lit LEDs.

P.S. I'll PM you as it's kinda off topic for the non Omnicharge owners here - even though it's for the WA8.

I'm glad yours is working, mine is NOT.  Same conditions as you have suggested.  Thanks for your efforts, I've replied to your PM.  

Mar 19, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #404 of 903
I've been using the originally-mentioned ChargeTech Portable Power Outlet (purchased during Black Friday for $99) with no operational issues.

Here's the link if it may have been missed: https://chargetech.com/product/portable-power-outlet/

Mar 19, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #405 of 903
I'm glad yours is working, mine is NOT.  Same conditions as you have suggested.  Thanks for your efforts, I've replied to your PM.  

Mine works fine as well. I went on a flight cross country and used WA-8 power alone until about 2 lights. Plugged in the Omnicharge and charged the rest of the way. No problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back