Woo Audio WA8 Review - Head-Fi TV
Dec 29, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #376 of 896
I received my OmniCharge Pro today which will be used for charging (extending?) the usages duration of my WA8. Despite it having an AC outlet, I actually don't think this is the best way to charge the WA8. with an original DC internal -> AC external -> DC charge. That would be rather inefficient.

I plan to use the barrel output below instead and configure it to charge the WA8 which IMHO is a more efficient DC-DC charge. I'll need to find a barrel to barrel cable though.

I'd expect this to be more efficient than the ChargeTech portable pack mentioned earlier in the threads.

Dec 29, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #377 of 896
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that just the DC input to charge the Omnicharge Pro?

I received my OmniCharge Pro today which will be used for charging (extending?) the usages duration of my WA8. Despite it having an AC outlet, I actually don't think this is the best way to charge the WA8. with an original DC internal -> AC external -> DC charge. That would be rather inefficient.

I plan to use the barrel output below instead and configure it to charge the WA8 which IMHO is a more efficient DC-DC charge. I'll need to find a barrel to barrel cable though.

I'd expect this to be more efficient than the ChargeTech portable pack mentioned earlier in the threads.

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #379 of 896
When connecting the WA8 to the wall does it bypass the battery? If not, will this affect the battery life span?

The almost similar price of the WA22 and WA8 keeps me on the fence between them. Did anybody compare them? 

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #380 of 896
drbobbybones, the OmniCharge has a DC output as an option (if you ordered it configured that way).
AnakChan, please let us know if you find a barel to barel cable. I'm waiting on my Omni charge to ship.

Wow that's really cool. Might have to pick one up!

Dec 29, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #381 of 896
Wow that's really cool. Might have to pick one up!

Maybe something like this :-

http://www.ambery.com/10dcpocomato.html

If you do pick up the OmniCharge, ensure it's the OmniCharge -Pro- cos that version allows DC port for input & output. If you get the smaller regular OmniCharge 13,600mAh version, that barrel port is for input charging the OmniCharge only.

The Pro allows the same barrel socket for DC output of 1V-24V. I've not checked the WA8 adapter on what voltage setting I should use yet.

P.S. side note, for those who use Qi wireless charging, the OmniCharge has that option too :D.

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #383 of 896
Mm...dc to dc recharging will make the WA8 sound better or perform better in terms of adding to battery life than dc to ac to dc?

? Curious where this came from. So in terms of sound I'd expect -no- change to the WA8 whatsoever. In terms of the battery life, I'm hoping the OmniCharge Pro power bank will extend it's current 4 hr battery life (if I'm travelling but in all honesty, I really don't know if I'd handcarry the WA8 to listen on the plane or just check it in). So the question now would be "how much" could that OmniCharge Pro extend the WA8's battery life.

It has 20,400mAh (yes, less than ChargeTech's 27,000mAh). How that 20,400mAh is used to charge the WA8 was the specific area of interest. Bear in mind the 20,400mAh battery pack in the OmniCharge Pro is DC.

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong but I would think that converting from DC -> AC (for use of the AC outlet socket) only to be converted back from AC -> DC by the WA8 charging adapter would be inefficient use of the 20,400mAh. Since the OmniCharge Pro has the option for the DC barrel out, one could just plug straight DC out -> DC in of the WA8 to charge which would be more efficient use of the 20,400mAh battery pack of the power bank.

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #385 of 896
I know you guys change your gear from time to time as the constant search for (ever) higher end is a part of this hobby & fun. So surely some of you wants to sell your WA8 to buy something fresh  for yourself.. Then please just let me know. I would buy a WA8 from you if it is in absolutely like new condition. You know just like you I am a perfectionist too. BTW My name is Paul. I am in Seattle, WA (with cash ready to send you =0)

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #386 of 896
Hi Anak. Having seen how airport baggage handlers hanle our bags. I will not check in the WA8 but rather hand carry with my computer bag.

Jan 1, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #387 of 896
? Curious where this came from. So in terms of sound I'd expect -no- change to the WA8 whatsoever. In terms of the battery life, I'm hoping the OmniCharge Pro power bank will extend it's current 4 hr battery life (if I'm travelling but in all honesty, I really don't know if I'd handcarry the WA8 to listen on the plane or just check it in). So the question now would be "how much" could that OmniCharge Pro extend the WA8's battery life.

It has 20,400mAh (yes, less than ChargeTech's 27,000mAh). How that 20,400mAh is used to charge the WA8 was the specific area of interest. Bear in mind the 20,400mAh battery pack in the OmniCharge Pro is DC.

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong but I would think that converting from DC -> AC (for use of the AC outlet socket) only to be converted back from AC -> DC by the WA8 charging adapter would be inefficient use of the 20,400mAh. Since the OmniCharge Pro has the option for the DC barrel out, one could just plug straight DC out -> DC in of the WA8 to charge which would be more efficient use of the 20,400mAh battery pack of the power bank.

The ravpower rp-pb14 is another option. It is rated at 23000mAh, has a dc out port (no AC out) and was also recommended by Woo Audio as I posted on an earlier thread. The elimination of the dc to ac back to dc conversion should result in a slightly longer run time for the same battery size, but I have not done any comparison on the extended run time of the wa8 with each.

The great thing about the Chargetech is the AC output allows it to be used with products that require an AC power source and it does turn the liquid carbon into a transportable unit. Works great with the Wa8!

Jan 1, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #388 of 896
The ravpower rp-pb14 is another option. It is rated at 23000mAh, has a dc out port (no AC out) and was also recommended by Woo Audio as I posted on an earlier thread. The elimination of the dc to ac back to dc conversion should result in a slightly longer run time for the same battery size, but I have not done any comparison on the extended run time of the wa8 with each.

The great thing about the Chargetech is the AC output allows it to be used with products that require an AC power source and it does turn the liquid carbon into a transportable unit. Works great with the Wa8!

The OmniCharge also has the AC outlet too. Going a little off topic here but OmniCharge Pro (with selected options) support AC 100V (or 220V if selected) output, DC output 1-24V, 3.6A USB output, and wireless Qi charging too. For fun I bought a Qi wireless-lightning card and it works great with me just placing my iPhone on top of the OmniCharge Pro.

Back on topic though, I haven't used my WA8 enough to drain the battery to see how much longer the OmniCharge Pro's DC-DC charging can extend a single session's worth of listening time. Hopefully I'll get some time this new year's break.

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #390 of 896

Users who are viewing this thread

Back