Woo Audio WA8 Review - Head-Fi TV
Dec 15, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #362 of 903

Thanks Anak,
Sorry for thanking so late. I have seen your other review and comment. Looks like the WA8 can really stand up against some mighty top class amp in the market!

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #363 of 903
I would really love to hear one of these.  I nearly pulled the trigger on one to pair with my LCD-X and LCD2's, but came across a deal on the new-ish ifi iCan Pro and grabbed that one with my yearly audio dollars instead.  Obviously a very different choice (not being portable, for one), and I'm not sure if I'll regret it or not as my love is strong for this Woo :)

It's kindof a golden age, isn't it? High end walkmans with entire music collections on tiny chips, portable tubes, incredible headphone choices.  I could have never imagined this future when I was rocking cassettes on my first Sony Walkman.  I absolutely love tubes and what Woo has done here (true tube chain w/transformers) in a portable rig is just amazing.

Maybe next year.  If Woo announces tube rolling choices I'll probably be tossed over the cliff :)

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #365 of 903
  Woo 8 not a good match with Audeze.  Senn 800/800S and similar, IMHO.

Well, that's too bad.  I suppose I'll have to pick up a pair of HD800's someday to scratch this itch, then, which moves it somewhat down my list of priorities.  Thanks for the feedback.

Dec 22, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #366 of 903
I usually bounced between many audio components and headphones and of all I missed the eddie current 4-45 the most--for amp, but I am no longer missing the 4-45 since having the woo wa8. The wa8 doesn't have the same soundstage but just does the extra 10% that adds 90% of the enjoyment. Going to stick with this one for years--years longer than other components I've had. Truly an addicting amp/dac (wa8).

Dec 22, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #367 of 903
I usually bounced between many audio components and headphones and of all I missed the eddie current 4-45 the most--for amp, but I am no longer missing the 4-45 since having the woo wa8. The wa8 doesn't have the same soundstage but just does the extra 10% that adds 90% of the enjoyment. Going to stick with this one for years--years longer than other components I've had. Truly an addicting amp/dac (wa8).

If you are interested I still sell my ED445 :wink:

Dec 22, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #369 of 903
Ha, no thanks. Great amplifier but the wa8 has been doing it for me. I had the hd800 on the ED445 and loved it though. What will you go to next?

Next ? I have now the BHSE with a Stax SR009 :)

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #372 of 903
Wow, I really need one of these badly after reading this entire thread. I just picked up a Chord Dave and I am not sure what use my WA22 will end up having in my home setup. This would be perfect for travel and office for me! If it pairs well with a ZMF Eikon, I might have to let go of the WA22 and pick this up instead!

Dec 28, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #373 of 903
If portability is not important for me, would you recommend the WA8 over the WA22?
I know that the WA22 has no DAC and it has much better and more powerful tubes + power source. 
I am asking due to their almost the same price. 
I will use it to power the Utopia and possibly LCD3F & HD800S. 
It might sound outrages, but I am going to sell my Neo 430 and settle down with WA8. I just need a smaller setup!

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #374 of 903

If portability or size doesn't matter to you, I think the WA22 would probably suit your needs very well.  You have an excellent DAC that would drive the WA22 incredibly well through its balanced inputs.  I love the sound of this and I have to decide if the combo is worth keeping it around with the DAVE or selling it and using the money for something that works better for my needs.

The sound of WA22 is incredible--I just don't know if it is necessary in my particular setup.  The sound coming straight out of the DAVE is butter to me.  But I travel a lot and could use something that has a little extra sizzle than my OPPO HA-2, which actually is pretty awesome for what it is--an excellent portable solid state DAC/amp.  

Dec 29, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #375 of 903
If portability is not important for me, would you recommend the WA8 over the WA22?
I know that the WA22 has no DAC and it has much better and more powerful tubes + power source. 
I am asking due to their almost the same price. 
I will use it to power the Utopia and possibly LCD3F & HD800S. 
It might sound outrages, but I am going to sell my Neo 430 and settle down with WA8. I just need a smaller setup!

As a new WA8 + Utopia owner. Even if I have not heard the WA22. I will probably keep or buy the WA22 if I have a flagship DAC, especially the Dave.

Since I am also eyeing the moon 430. Can you discribe the pairing with the Utopia? I have audition the Utopia with the Dave direct. While the details and tone are great. I do find it a bit aggressive and too much "si" with vocal for my personal taste. I have read that the moon is warm. Hence my interest.

I am in search of all in one DAC/Amp combo and is willing to pay more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back