Wells Audio Milo - Impressions And Discussion Thread
Apr 10, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #451 of 1,022
Yeah, it sounds a little different. More neutral and WAY more transparent. Listening on the DAVE and Headtrip Reference it was excruciating to take the headphone off and give it to the next guy. I was legitimately sad for a minute there!

I was talking about the Abyss Phi, but I suppose you could apply the same comments to the Headtrip Reference, lol. The Headtrip Reference is the best solid state I've heard, I think. Really just about as close to perfection you can get with the Phi and DAVE in the chain.

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #452 of 1,022
Do you really need the Milo in the chain if you are using dave except for like Abyss/LC4/HE6 maybe?

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #453 of 1,022
Do you really need the Milo in the chain if you are using dave except for like Abyss/LC4/HE6 maybe?

I thought the Milo sounded better than the DAVEs amp. It is more analog sounding to my ears. The DAC on the DAVE was insanely good. As good as any DAC I've heard. I listened to the LCD 4 out of DAVE as amp and dac as well as just dac with Milo. Preferred the Milo. My favorite combo of the weekend was a tie between the Headtrip/Dave with the Dharma D1000 and the Head Amp GSX / Holo Spring Singxer (spelling) with the Utopia. Utopia startled me with its speed sand imaging. I learned that my Milo is one of a kind.

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #454 of 1,022
If anyone on the fence on buying the Milo, I'd will be posting mine this weekend on head-fi sales forum. It's only 4 months old and has Khozmo upgraded volume control. Only selling as I stepped it up to the, gulp, ....Headtrip.

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #455 of 1,022
If anyone on the fence on buying the Milo, I'd will be posting mine this weekend on head-fo sales forum. It's only 4 months old and has Khozmo upgraded volume control. Only selling as I stepped it up to the, gulp, ....Headtrip.

Good luck with the Headtrip.  I listened to the Headtrip Reference last weekend.  Blew my brains out!  You are in for a treat...

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #456 of 1,022
Is the headtrip just a headphone amplifier?  I would be looking at a First Watt or Pass amp at that price point.  Speaker taps for headphones and can also be used with...speakers.

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #457 of 1,022
  Is the headtrip just a headphone amplifier?  I would be looking at a First Watt or Pass amp at that price point.  Speaker taps for headphones and can also be used with...speakers.

Yes, just a headphone amp.  

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #458 of 1,022

I liked the Milo so much, I just wanted more goodness:grin:
Bought a 9 month old unit for a really good price.

Apr 15, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #459 of 1,022
I liked the Milo so much, I just wanted more goodness:grin:
Bought a 9 month old unit for a really good price.

I hope you'll enjoy it.  Don't see how you couldn't though.  Did your recent meet have something to do with this decision?

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #460 of 1,022
I hope you'll enjoy it.  Don't see how you couldn't though.  Did your recent meet have something to do with this decision?

Well that's a great question. Hmmm....not sure. I guess if anything, the meet actually showed me just how good the Milo is. I guess I could have searched for a tube amp since I was so impressed with the Eddie Current Studio, but I understand that unit is a rare beast. I have heard many tube amps at meets and with the exception of the Studio, I still prefer the Milo. This lead me to keep an eye out for the next best thing, imo, so a Headtrip or Enigma were on my radar.I found one at a very nice price and decided to go for more Wells Audio goodness.

Apr 15, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #461 of 1,022
Well that's a great question. Hmmm....not sure. I guess if anything, the meet actually showed me just how good the Milo is. I guess I could have searched for a tube amp since I was so impressed with the Eddie Current Studio, but I understand that unit is a rare beast. I have heard many tube amps at meets and with the exception of the Studio, I still prefer the Milo. This lead me to keep an eye out for the next best thing, imo, so a Headtrip or Enigma were on my radar.I found one at a very nice price and decided to go for more Wells Audio goodness.

You're in for a treat. Jeff loaned me a Headtrip for about 2 or 3 months when I was reviewing the Abyss. It is everything you like about the Milo, taken to a whole new level.

Apr 16, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #462 of 1,022
If anyone on the fence on buying the Milo, I'd will be posting mine this weekend on head-fi sales forum. It's only 4 months old and has Khozmo upgraded volume control. Only selling as I stepped it up to the, gulp, ....Headtrip.

Hope you enjoy it!!!

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #463 of 1,022
Can anyone offer any comparison to the Woo WA22?  I was strongly considering that amp before @Hifi59 kindly suggested the Milo to me on the HE1000 thread.  I will be running my HE1000 v2 through a bitfrost multibit DAC.  I know not as fancy as many out there but i love the sound out of the bimby.  I got to hook it up to the WA22 the other day and felt the pairing with my DAC sounded absolutely amazing.  With that said, i've read quite a bit of this thread... color me intrigued by the Milo!  I admit I do enjoy a slightly warm euphonic tube sound.  I'm after a big soundstage, great imaging and resolution (aren't we all).  I listen to mostly classic rock, jazz, blues and classical.  

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #464 of 1,022
Can anyone offer any comparison to the Woo WA22?  I was strongly considering that amp before @Hifi59
 kindly suggested the Milo to me on the HE1000 thread.  I will be running my HE1000 v2 through a bitfrost multibit DAC.  I know not as fancy as many out there but i love the sound out of the bimby.  I got to hook it up to the WA22 the other day and felt the pairing with my DAC sounded absolutely amazing.  With that said, i've read quite a bit of this thread... color me intrigued by the Milo!  I admit I do enjoy a slightly warm euphonic tube sound.  I'm after a big soundstage, great imaging and resolution (aren't we all).  I listen to mostly classic rock, jazz, blues and classical.  

I like the WA-22, but IMO the Milo is clearly the superior amplifier, especially with the HE-1000 V2 or any planar. From what I have heard, the Milo seems to get a little tubey-er sounding with the Khozmo attenuator and Vishay resistors, if you're after that type of sound. Regardless of which way you go, I have yet to hear a better amp for planars at the price. IMO, the Wells amps are the kings when it comes to orthos.

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #465 of 1,022
Can anyone chime in with Wells Audio Milo amp vs Microzotl2 amp? I've been enjoying my Microzotl2 but have read wonderful things about Wells audio for some time now, and i do wonder what all the extra wattage would bring to my HE1000v2.

Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back