V-MODA Forza Series: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
May 10, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #241 of 293
That's all hype. aptX won't sound as good as Apple Music or Google Play with a wire, let alone have a difference streaming Tidal hi-fi.

Not necessarily. aptX, just like AAC and mp3, is a lossy codec that is able to produce transparent results, better than SBC at similar bitrates. Going from Tidal HD (lossless) to transmission via aptX is a lossless-to-lossy compression. Playing Apple Music/Google Music/Spotify content means that it's a lossy-to-lossy compression. It would be the same as playing lossless files on an iPhone to a pair of headphones using AAC. We are talking about high bitrates (256kbps+) here and the last lossy-to-lossy public listening test on HA showed that iTunes AAC was able to produce pretty transparent results taking a source 320kbps mp3 file and encoding it down to 256kbps AAC. aptX wasn't tested as, at the time, the codec wasn't available for download. So you could be right in that it won't make a difference what the source audio is. Or someone might actually be able to distinguish between a lossless and lossy source via Bluetooth (and that aptX could theoretically be better than iTunes AAC).

A blind, volume-matched listening test would determine this but, alas, I don't think Qualcomm makes the aptX encoder publicly available and I don't think there's a public decoder/plug-in for foobar2000.

On a side note, the positive reviews for the Forza Metalo wireless have me contemplating them again. I like my BeatsX but their audio quality leaves me wanting more. Their connectivity is rock solid but I don't like how much excess wire there is around my ears. Plus I absolutely hate having to carry around a Lightning cable when all of my devices are either USB-C (my phone and Bluetooth speaker) or microUSB (all my other headphones, DSLR camera). I would probably love the Lightning cable if I had an iPhone and was in Apple's universe but I'm not.

May 11, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #242 of 293
I have the Forza Metallo Wireless and I'm very impressed by it. Honestly it's the best wireless earphones ever for the combination of the sound quality, battery life, and the convenience of wireless.

My last wired earphones were the V-Moda Zn, and I compared it to many high-end earphones and the Zn was definitely not a loser. I lost them while playing with some fireworks on the beach, and I think they exploded with the fireworks. LOL.

So, after that, I bought a Beoplay H5, and they weren't bad either. They have good sound, but bad battery life and ergonomic design. They wouldn't fit well in my ears. Lost the H5 as well because of its tendency to fall off as a necklace a couple months ago (actually I've lost and found it once before I truly lost it). I was so glad when the Forza Metallo Wireless came out.

I honestly think the sound of Forza Metallo Wireless beats them both. It's just well balanced and very clear. Earlier today I compared it to my Beoplay H7 and the Forza mindblowingly has a better clarity. What I love about the Forza is that they never fall off. Not even once; the ergonomic is truly well designed. Val claims he has the world's largest collection of headphones so maybe he got the inspiration from the H5 which kept falling off! LOL. However, something I hate from Forza is its turning on vibration. This can be particularly disturbing in quiet places like a class or library. Anyhow, for anyone doubting these earphones, here's what I'm gonna say: they give me the same aural experience like my home theatre's Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Diamond does.

Last edited:
May 11, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #243 of 293
I just got my Forza Metallo wireless yesterday, and I'm having a little issue with them. I own multiple Vmoda headphones. I just love the way they sound. Anyways, when ever I use any pair, I only turn the volume up to right under the fast forward sign. (iTunes/iPhone) For me, that the sweet spot. Well with the FMW, I have to turn it up all they way, and even at that it still sounds slightly lower than my ZNs. I'm wondering if they're defective. The reviews I've seen, and read have been praising the sound quality and that they're loud but clear. I've tried all the wings and tips. I use the orange tips on the ZN, and still have this issue. Does anyone else have a issue with this???? Thanks in advance.

May 11, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #244 of 293
I just got my Forza Metallo wireless yesterday, and I'm having a little issue with them. I own multiple Vmoda headphones. I just love the way they sound. Anyways, when ever I use any pair, I only turn the volume up to right under the fast forward sign. (iTunes/iPhone) For me, that the sweet spot. Well with the FMW, I have to turn it up all they way, and even at that it still sounds slightly lower than my ZNs. I'm wondering if they're defective. The reviews I've seen, and read have been praising the sound quality and that they're loud but clear. I've tried all the wings and tips. I use the orange tips on the ZN, and still have this issue. Does anyone else have a issue with this???? Thanks in advance.
I don't own the Forza Metallo Wireless or any Apple products but some of my Bluetooth headphones have their own volume control on top of the one volume control of my phone. Have you tried raising the volume on your iPhone and then raising the volume using the Forza's built-in controls to see if it can go higher?

May 11, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #245 of 293
I don't own the Forza Metallo Wireless or any Apple products but some of my Bluetooth headphones have their own volume control on top of the one volume control of my phone. Have you tried raising the volume on your iPhone and then raising the volume using the Forza's built-in controls to see if it can go higher?

Yea. I thought that was the issue when I first noticed it, but the FMW sync exactly with the volume on my iPhone.

May 12, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #246 of 293
Wow that's loud. I think my Zn and FMW sound identical in terms of volume. I honestly only use about 50% to 60% of the iPhone volume. Have you checked your settings to see if it limits the volume somehow? Or if sound check is enabled? Turn that off.

May 13, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #248 of 293

I have the wireless Forza Metallo and with my iphone it does not have nearly the volume that they do if I am streaming from my laptop via blue tooth and I have checked my iphone to make sure the variable volume is on and both the volume on my phone and the Metallo's are cranked with my i-phone and I crave for more. I have the premap gain on my Tidal app on my phone pegged at +12. I am as I write this listening on my laptop with Tidal on google chrome and I have to turn them way down or my ears would melt. This has to be an Apple/I-phone issue as this is the case with my RBH wireless blue-tooth sets as well. It sucks you just cant get any volume out of the I-phone.

Anyone have a fix for this?

May 18, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #249 of 293
I'm currently looking for a pair of bluetooth earbuds, and these are on the shortlist along with the Jaybird X3s and Bose Soundsport. Was leaning towards the FW, but the long(er) wires are holding me back since I'll be using these while working out. Thinking about buying the sport earhooks and using them over the ear so that some of the slack is taken up. Has anyone gone this route? How do they fit/sound in this orientation?

May 18, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #250 of 293
I'm currently looking for a pair of bluetooth earbuds, and these are on the shortlist along with the Jaybird X3s and Bose Soundsport. Was leaning towards the FW, but the long(er) wires are holding me back since I'll be using these while working out. Thinking about buying the sport earhooks and using them over the ear so that some of the slack is taken up. Has anyone gone this route? How do they fit/sound in this orientation?

They fit perfectly up and over my ears, which gets rid of the slack. Ear hooks would be even better. Can't tell the difference in fit/sound at all, so there's no downside.

May 18, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #251 of 293
They fit perfectly up and over my ears, which gets rid of the slack. Ear hooks would be even better. Can't tell the difference in fit/sound at all, so there's no downside.

Awesome! Think you just sold me on these then. V-moda does have the earhooks on their website for about $8. Amazon has them also, but for $14. Going to try and price match them :)

Also, not sure if you've used the Jaybirds or the Bose soundsport, but if you have, how do the Forza compare to them?

Last edited:
May 18, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #252 of 293
Awesome! Think you just sold me on these then. V-moda does have the earhooks on their website for about $8. Amazon has them also, but for $14. Going to try and price match them :)

Also, not sure if you've used the Jaybirds or the Bose soundsport, but if you have, how do the Forza compare to them?

The only other wireless earbuds I've got are the Beats X. I like both headphones for different reasons. If sound is priority #1, the Forza's easily win.

May 19, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #253 of 293
Well after two weeks mine crapped out tonight at the gym. They won't turn off. Buttons are non responsive. Nothing. Frozen.

A little sweat but not too bad. I pulled a the charging cover off which was closed tight and found a bit of moisture under there. Design flaw maybe? Glad I'm in the return policy. Love the headphones but I'm worried about these for gym use. Too bad because that's mostly when I use them.

May 19, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #254 of 293
Well after two weeks mine crapped out tonight at the gym. They won't turn off. Buttons are non responsive. Nothing. Frozen.

A little sweat but not too bad. I pulled a the charging cover off which was closed tight and found a bit of moisture under there. Design flaw maybe? Glad I'm in the return policy. Love the headphones but I'm worried about these for gym use. Too bad because that's mostly when I use them.

They should be waterproof enough to have a run through pouring rain with them. Maybe it's a defective pair.

May 19, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #255 of 293
Just a heads up for anyone purchasing these, I bought mine on Amazon via prime with Adorama as seller. Vmoda is denying warranty coverage on them stating Adorama is not an authorized reseller. I think this is somewhat BS since Adorama clearly purchased these from Vmoda as they were available at the exact same time Vmoda listed them. In any event, buyer beware. I'm in the return policy so I guess I'm ok but if this happened 31 days after purchased, I'd have a $170 paperweight. Not cool by Vmoda in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back