The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
May 10, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #571 of 1,866
Hi folks, just checking in after around six months with the L700 and 006T combo. I really enjoy this, it is a good match but I am now wondering whether I might like to upgrade the amp. I'd be interested in hearing anyone's experience of trying the third-party amps (e.g. Mjolinir KGSS HV Mini or even the KGSSHV Carbon) with the L700. In particular, what improvements (if any) did they bring to the L700 and (importantly) would it be a false economy to spend that much on an amp with L700?

I'm comfortable committing to a headphone-based primary system, as with wife & kids it is the easier option, but that being said, I can't see me getting to 009 level any time soon. However, it is a (long-term) possibility so a move to a better amp might make sense.

Another (related) question would be this: would a pair of 009 driven by 006T sound better than L700 driven by (say) KGSS HV Mini? Anyone ever been able to compare this choice (or something broadly similar)?

PS. ALso would love to make contact with any reasonably local Stax owners in my area (Scotland) who might be in a position to let me hear their rigs, or just talk music & Stax stuff,.,...

May 10, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #572 of 1,866
I have a KGSSHV with L700 and find the combo slightly dry and tad too bright compared to my previously owned modded 007tii.

My KGSSHV has the IXYS parts which sounds less warmer compared to the one with Sanyo. I m pretty sure a warm Sanyo parts KGSSHV does a better job with L700.

I have a KGST too which pairs well with L700. All kind of music become easily listenable especially vocals but losing some soundstage, impact, dynamics compared to HV.

With HV, L700 sounds dry and sterile with vocals but works really well with EDM. My HV sounds edgy/glared in bright music sometimes which I find unpleasant.

I have no experience with Carbon but according to reviews it has the advantages of both.

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #573 of 1,866
@organ_donor
I had the exact same observations on the L700 with those same amps. And I liked the 009 with IXYS KGSShv, at least until I upgraded. The L700 goes better with a Carbon than the IXYS KGSShv, but it tends a bit too much towards brightness with the former -- so I wouldn't recommend that route either.

I easily prefer the L700 with tubes -- BHSE, KGST, or HEV-90 Balanced (which just blew its PSU, damn) are all great matches for this headphone. The KGST will sacrifice some detail vs. the better amps, but is much less expensive.

I feel that the 009 can more readily go with either SS or tubes.

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #574 of 1,866
@mulveling
Won't the 009 + IXYS HV combo be overly bright? I am considering to let go my HV and have 009 sometimes in future to pair with the KGST.
For your information my KGST comes with HV PSU which supposed to be more dynamic than usual KGSTs, at least it is very different from my previously owned 007tii which modded to take 6S4A tubes, basically a KGST with stock STAX PSU.
I can see myself to have a GG instead of Carbon one day due to positive experience with tubes in Stax cans.

May 10, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #575 of 1,866
@organ_donor
The 009 + IXYS HV was slightly on the bright side of neutral, yes, but it didn't fatigue or vex my ears (also I used it with a very warm DAC at the time). The L700 and 009 are both a bit tipped up on top, but it occurs at different points, which will work for some combinations & individuals, but not others. The Carbon / L700 / Yggy sounds good but gets to be a bit much treble energy for me to sustain long listening.

The KGST is a good amp -- mine was stock with no special upgrades. And the GG should be totally legit -- haven't heard one yet, though I think it's extremely likely I'd prefer it to the Carbon.

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #577 of 1,866
I would take this L700 any day over HD800. There is no contest. More resolution, more exiting. And the bass is actually BETTER than HD800 after repeated listening (hours went by as I enjoyed it too much). Sub bass is phenomenal. The midrange is smooth, ever so slightly recessed or may be its the recording. Best paired with a highend and musical source. If you like being enveloped in incredible sonic information and still have great tonality, this is it. The presentation is not 'natural' in the sense that one normally wouldn't hear so much detail in live concerts. I recommend STAXs sold state amplifier for this headphone. No need for a tube to euphonize the sound.

I remember reading this comment when I was waiting for my first estat setup to arrive - just a few weeks ago. I was listening to my HD800S and thought: Wow! Can an estat setup really be that good!!!

Now I have been listening to SRM-007II and L700 for a few weeks. There is a definitive quality in the setup that simply takes my breath away. After many years in the dynamic game, owning the top HPs from Grado, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamics,Audeze and more, I almost feel I am about to start crying sometimes. There is such immediacy and transparens. Such intimacy.

I listen mainly to contemporary jazz and classical, but also a lot of acoustic singer-songwriting/blues. If you want a music tip with the L700, listen to Titok by FERENC SNÉTBERGER, ANDERS JORMIN, JOEY BARON. It's brand new 2017 - not in streaming services I'm afraid. It is contemporary jazz based on an acoustic guitarr, double bass and drums.

May 12, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #578 of 1,866
The L700 sound so much more natural to me than the HD800, and the detail is all there (probably even more with L700). Bass is more satisfying, too. The HD650 also sounds extremely natural to me, but the detail isn't quite 100% there, plus they have a mildly gritty/grainy aspect to the sound when paired with most digital sources (this is greatly mitigated with a good vinyl source). The Stax somehow render very high levels of detail, and remain amazingly smooth, even with digital sources. Plus they're nearly fatigue-free to my ears, even at high levels of volume.

That said, I've never driven my L700 with anything less than a KGST. I have heard the HD800 on a number of very fine dynamic amps as well. Would love to hear the HD800S, but not very confident it will bridge this very significant gap.

The L700 may well be the HD650 of its price range, assuming you can tolerate the requirement for an electrostatic amp.

Last edited:
May 13, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #579 of 1,866
IMG_20170509_134749.jpg

May 15, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #582 of 1,866
What is the GG - that's one I've not heard of. Who makes that, and do you have a link for more details? Thanks.

GG stands for grounded grid. It's a Kevin Gilmore design, he substituted EL34 output tubes in grounded grid (hence the name) configuration for the grounded gate SiC output stage of the KGSSHV Carbon. Whitigir has built one and liked it better than his Carbon. You can find information about it on the other site which shall not be named, but also starts with Head-.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back