The Other Metal Thread: No Blastbeat Metal Zone!
May 22, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #602 of 2,630
Live Budgie soooo heavy

I have simply never gotten into Budgie.

That being said, all weekend I've been listening to A LOT of classic Doom and proto-Doom. Everything from Witchfinder General to this little gem I'm digging right now:

Ever since Chris Cornell died, I decided not to be a fricking cliche and stream all his greatest stuff. Nope, this seemed like a fitting tribute. And I gotta tell you, most of this stuff I totally dismissed 30 years ago. The biggest revelation is old Candlemass. Holy mother of DOOM, Cathedral can bring it! I honestly think my stereo has a lot to do with this stuff sounding so damn good. Cathedral and Candlemass sounded like crap back then, but with a few hundrend watts and 2 subs, this stuff is awesome. Witchfinder General still sounds like a bunch of kids taking caffeine pills and trying to act like they're mini-thins though :)

All I need is a couple huge, obsolete, wire-burning McIntoshes, and I'd be set

Oh yeah. I have not found my perfect Doom cans yet. Let's just say the HD-800's ain't them!

Last edited:
May 22, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #603 of 2,630
Live Budgie soooo heavy

Nevermind. I get it now. Wow, how did I grow up in the 70's and not get in to this?

cc6386905fcd15ee118658382cd01393_mind-blown-memes-mind-blown_550-481.jpeg

I just listened to the first two Budgie albums. Considered me SCHOOLED!

If either of these came out today, they'd be album of the year.

Last edited:
May 22, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #604 of 2,630
All I need is a couple huge, obsolete, wire-burning McIntoshes, and I'd be set

Easy there tiger,McIntosh are never obsolete,says the guy currently listening to Agalloch thru a 1979 Kenwood Eleven GX.

May 23, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #606 of 2,630
Nevermind. I get it now. Wow, how did I grow up in the 70's and not get in to this?

cc6386905fcd15ee118658382cd01393_mind-blown-memes-mind-blown_550-481.jpeg

I just listened to the first two Budgie albums. Considered me SCHOOLED!

If either of these came out today, they'd be album of the year.

the first 4 are pretty solid albums. Their live sound was so intense though, the studio albums really did not do them justice.

May 23, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #607 of 2,630
I'll vouch for those, plus the fifth album, Bandolier (1975) while a slight step down, is worth hearing. Plenty of great proto-metal in the early 70s, like Stray, Night Sun, Groundhogs, Blackwater Park, Lucifer's Friend, November, Speed, Glue & Shinki, Atomic Rooster, Buffalo, Leaf Hound, Sir Lord Baltimore, High Tide, Blues Creation, Granicus, Josefus, Hard Stuff, Jericho, Captain Beyond, Bang, Dust, etc.

Here's a brand new release from Andrew D'Cagna from the recently broken up Brimstone Coven. Ironflame just played the Legions of Metal fest last weekend. He played all the instruments on the album aside from a few guitar solos, but live just sang and had a band, along the lines that Chris Black does with his various bands.

https://ironflame-music.bandcamp.com/releases

a2558416283_10.jpg

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #608 of 2,630
I'll vouch for those, plus the fifth album, Bandolier (1975) while a slight step down, is worth hearing. Plenty of great proto-metal in the early 70s, like Stray, Night Sun, Groundhogs, Blackwater Park, Lucifer's Friend, November, Speed, Glue & Shinki, Atomic Rooster, Buffalo, Leaf Hound, Sir Lord Baltimore, High Tide, Blues Creation, Granicus, Josefus, Hard Stuff, Jericho, Captain Beyond, Bang, Dust, etc.

Here's a brand new release from Andrew D'Cagna from the recently broken up Brimstone Coven. Ironflame just played the Legions of Metal fest last weekend. He played all the instruments on the album aside from a few guitar solos, but live just sang and had a band, along the lines that Chris Black does with his various bands.

https://ironflame-music.bandcamp.com/releases

a2558416283_10.jpg

yeah i counted wrong. I meant the first 5 Budgie albums. Many consider Bandolier the peak.

May 24, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #611 of 2,630

I almost hate to ask, but what is the name of the band. I don't know why this genre insists on unreadable titles and names, LOL

edit: nevermind. Youtube gives the answer, but my comment still stands :metal:

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #612 of 2,630
May 24, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #613 of 2,630
I almost hate to ask, but what is the name of the band. I don't know why this genre insists on unreadable titles and names, LOL

edit: nevermind. Youtube gives the answer, but my comment still stands :metal:

Ha, that's nothing, compared to unreadable death/black metal logos! BTW, you simply hover over and the info appears, and the option to play the tracks via Bandcamp.

May 24, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #614 of 2,630
Ha, that's nothing, compared to unreadable death/black metal logos! BTW, you simply hover over and the info appears, and the option to play the tracks via Bandcamp.

Yep. Took me a minute to figure that one out :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back