The Other Metal Thread: No Blastbeat Metal Zone!
May 13, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #572 of 2,630
Good Morning Doods!

It's been "Prong Fest 2017" all morning here at the Casa de Spiers. Extremely, brutally, and unforgivably under-rated band. Tommy Victor and crew released album after album of unmatched Industrial brilliance. And yet, this album, this song, led to their being released from their record contract and break-up as a band. One of the great injustices of the fickle nature of the music industry. Anyway, Tommy's only problem was being about 20 years ahead of his time, while NiN got the credit....

May 13, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #573 of 2,630
Good Morning Doods!

It's been "Prong Fest 2017" all morning here at the Casa de Spiers. Extremely, brutally, and unforgivably under-rated band. Tommy Victor and crew released album after album of unmatched Industrial brilliance. And yet, this album, this song, led to their being released from their record contract and break-up as a band. One of the great injustices of the fickle nature of the music industry. Anyway, Tommy's only problem was being about 20 years ahead of his time, while NiN got the credit....

I bought a couple of their albums,and other than a couple songs I never could get into them(nor NIN). Pretty much most of the 'metal' bands from the 90s I rejected and dont consider them to be metal. I love Ministry,Corrosion of Conformity,Suicidal Tendencies and KMFDM,but oddly they share the same folder that houses Oasis,Sisters of Mercy and Social Distortion rather than my 'metal' folder.

Im old.:older_man:

May 13, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #574 of 2,630
I bought a couple of their albums,and other than a couple songs I never could get into them(nor NIN). Pretty much most of the 'metal' bands from the 90s I rejected and dont consider them to be metal. I love Ministry,Corrosion of Conformity,Suicidal Tendencies and KMFDM,but oddly they share the same folder that houses Oasis,Sisters of Mercy and Social Distortion rather than my 'metal' folder.

Pretty sure I'm probably older than you are... I'll be 54 on Thursday.

May 13, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #575 of 2,630
Happy birthday!
You have me by about 15 months.

May 13, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #577 of 2,630
Pretty sure I'm probably older than you are... I'll be 54 on Thursday.

And you've got me by 7 months. Now I don't feel so old. :)

May 13, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #578 of 2,630
Benicia!!! I used to live in Vallejo and then Dixon. Small world, but metal brings us all together!

\m/

May 13, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #579 of 2,630
Benicia!!! I used to live in Vallejo and then Dixon. Small world, but metal brings us all together!

\m/
Wow! I've been in Benicia since 93. I work in Vacaville right next to Dixon. Small world indeed.

Just got a pair of HE-6's today and they are blowing me away :)

May 13, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #580 of 2,630

I've been thinking about this post all day. I respect your POV, but to me the 90's was not only the rebirth of metal, but the Big Bang that gave us all the wonderful sub-genres, from Death and Black to Progressive and Doom, and everything in between.

I remember, up until 1992, the airwaves were dominated by Def Leppard, Winger, Cinderella, etc. I know for most of my friends, Nirvana and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was the turning point. And they were okay, I guess. Soundgarden and Pearl Jam were starting to get heavy rotation, and I loved the whole "grunge" thing.

But this band. This song. This was the most METAL thing I had ever heard on commercial radio, and I still can't believe it was a hit. It was the biggest "F U" I had ever heard towards the popular culture than preceded it, and told me that my world had changed. Forever:

May 13, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #581 of 2,630
Hey doods.

I don't usually listen to an album on my speakers, and then go immediately to my Alpha Primes and listen to it again. I mean, I love the music and all, but it's rare that something catches my attention to that level.

This one did. I guess I'm just totally in the mood for psyched-out/fuzzed-out trippy Doom with 25 minute droning songs. Which, now that I write, sounds a bit masochistic. But Black Willows is that flipping good.

May 14, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #582 of 2,630
I've been thinking about this post all day. I respect your POV, but to me the 90's was not only the rebirth of metal, but the Big Bang that gave us all the wonderful sub-genres, from Death and Black to Progressive and Doom, and everything in between.

I remember, up until 1992, the airwaves were dominated by Def Leppard, Winger, Cinderella, etc. I know for most of my friends, Nirvana and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was the turning point. And they were okay, I guess. Soundgarden and Pearl Jam were starting to get heavy rotation, and I loved the whole "grunge" thing.

But this band. This song. This was the most METAL thing I had ever heard on commercial radio, and I still can't believe it was a hit. It was the biggest "F U" I had ever heard towards the popular culture than preceded it, and told me that my world had changed. Forever:

Interesting,I hated the 90s...like really hated it. After the hair metal invasion that essentially killed metal I was waiting for a second wave of BHM,and instead got a bunch of whiny emo bands posing as metal.Other bands had abandoned a polished sound for a dirty garage sound,again something I hate(d) and then the whole flannel/heroin/Seattle/staring at the floor thing.
Im hard pressed to decide which of that I loathe the most...I did eventually come around to AiC,STP,Temple of the Dog and Soundgarden years after it was no longer being slammed down my throat.I never did buy into the Nirvana hype train...still cant stand them.

Im pretty simple really...if a band;

wears flannel
down tunes
paints their nails black
stares at the floor

Chances are I dont like them.

My son is trying to get me into Slipknot...lol,that aint happening either.

May 14, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #583 of 2,630

Duel
USA

May 14, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #584 of 2,630

Duel
USA

Nice! To be honest, I expected to hear Paul Dianno bring the vocals, LOL. I love the crunch of that guitar sound, like early Maiden with more body to it.

May 14, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #585 of 2,630
Nice! To be honest, I expected to hear Paul Dianno bring the vocals, LOL. I love the crunch of that guitar sound, like early Maiden with more body to it.

Theyre listed as 'stoner/doom'
Sometimes the genre thing causes more confusion than it fixes.
I dont hear Maiden,but I def dont hear Sabbath either.
Either way this album is really good!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back