The Other Metal Thread: No Blastbeat Metal Zone!
May 27, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #617 of 2,630
May 27, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #618 of 2,630
Another project from the Stoner/Doom Bassist thread on Talkbass that I really think deserves checking out...

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #619 of 2,630
Okay, maybe I am way too in to this topic. But I DO NOT consider Witchfinder General or Trouble to be Doom. And I also think it started with seeds planted by Sabbath taken root in Candlemass, St. Vitus, and Cathedral.

Ask 3 Doom metal fans one question, get 15 answers! This is so awesome (and frustrating) I found myself yelling at the TV. Guys, check this out:

May 29, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #620 of 2,630
May 29, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #621 of 2,630
Last year was an amazing year for music. Newcomers King Buffalo got a lot of attention, and are now touring with Elder. Insomnium re-defined at least 2 genres with "Winters Gate."
And this one is still sticking out as one the best full-on Stoner/Doom releases of the decade:

May 29, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #622 of 2,630
Okay, maybe I am way too in to this topic. But I DO NOT consider Witchfinder General or Trouble to be Doom. And I also think it started with seeds planted by Sabbath taken root in Candlemass, St. Vitus, and Cathedral.

Ask 3 Doom metal fans one question, get 15 answers! This is so awesome (and frustrating) I found myself yelling at the TV. Guys, check this out:

I love Sam Dunn. So looks like I can subscribe to Lock Horns on YouTube, exciting! A chance for him to dig deeper into genres, which get glossed over way too quickly in his feature documentaries.

So if WG and Trouble aren't doom, what do you consider them? After their first couple albums I would consider Trouble more psychedelic hard rock and heavy metal, but have no problem also including them in the doom genre. There's plenty of room.

May 29, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #623 of 2,630
I love Sam Dunn. So looks like I can subscribe to Lock Horns on YouTube, exciting! A chance for him to dig deeper into genres, which get glossed over way too quickly in his feature documentaries.

So if WG and Trouble aren't doom, what do you consider them? After their first couple albums I would consider Trouble more psychedelic hard rock and heavy metal, but have no problem also including them in the doom genre. There's plenty of room.

For me, they're just traditional NWOBHM. I hear NO doom elements, except thematically I guess. Trouble I discount for philosophical reasons: I could never get past the "white metal" tag, but that's just an inane bias that will probably change in time as I delve deeper into the vault.

For me, Doom started with Candlemass, at least as a deliberate genre. Or St. Vitus, which according to some sources was recorded in '82.

But, like Sam Dunn, I can see (hear) both sides of the argument. Honestly, I'm just gratified that people care enough to debate it.

Lock Horns is amazing, and in a totally geeky, oh this is painfully picky way. And Mr. Dunn picked up right where Christe leaves off, but with an even more scholarly approach.

I gotta give you props for your excellent history of the genre as well, and will be mentioning (linking) to it in my blog, with your permission of course.

-S

May 29, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #624 of 2,630
Just an interesting aside. This is a picture of Arthur Brown, circa 1968.

n588883495_2058808_1252.jpg

Crazy World of King Diamond, anyone...? :)

May 30, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #625 of 2,630
Trouble never embraced the "white metal" tag, that wasn't their fault. They're no more or less religious than Black Sabbath were. To me, Pentagram, Pagan Altar, Witchfinder General, The Obsessed, Saint Vitus and Trouble were pretty clearly doom, but the early recordings were certainly varied and lacked the bottom heaviness that more modern productions have. Of course you can use my little timeline!

Here's The Obsessed's 1983 "Sodden Jackal" single, which they redid recently.

I saw Arthur Brown live earlier this year!

May 30, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #626 of 2,630
so,did they record part of this song and then play it backwards in the final mix?
Trouble never embraced the "white metal" tag, that wasn't their fault. They're no more or less religious than Black Sabbath were. To me, Pentagram, Pagan Altar, Witchfinder General, The Obsessed, Saint Vitus and Trouble were pretty clearly doom, but the early recordings were certainly varied and lacked the bottom heaviness that more modern productions have. Of course you can use my little timeline!

May 30, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #627 of 2,630

Oh, I don't disagree in any meaningful sense. But I think one's view of Doom in general, going back to the beginnings, is a very personal view, formed by information and material that was available at the time. Heck, I read about St. Vitus while in a Navy hospital waiting room in '86, and didn't even hear my first recording until about '91. My first CD was "V", not their finest...

I didn't even hear about Pentagram until the documentary about Bobby, LOL. It wasn't until '97, when the Stoner scene exploded after Kyuss imploded, and the old ill-fated Stoner Rock chat room, that I was aware Stoner/Doom was a thing. But once I got a computer with a 56K modem, it was game on.

Fitting Witchfinder General into the whole thing is a bit of a leap for me at this point. As an influence, sure.

But this album flipping defined the whole thing. At least for me, and for 31 years. It's hard to revise perception to accept anything less than:

May 30, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #629 of 2,630
So today I came across two items that typically would be shareworthy.The first new Rainbow song in 30 something years,and a new Ministry song.
Sadly the Rainbow song is "not good" and Ministry has gone doom...yes,you read that correctly.

May 30, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #630 of 2,630
So today I came across two items that typically would be shareworthy.The first new Rainbow song in 30 something years,and a new Ministry song.
Sadly the Rainbow song is "not good" and Ministry has gone doom...yes,you read that correctly.
Oh. Really?

Rainbow me doesn't surprise me, but Ministry has me...intrigued...

Are you gonna share?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back