The Hifiman RE2000 - a high end dynamic IEM
Jun 20, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #33 of 627
More impression please

Indeed! I am very curious about what other people think about RE2000

For one of the most expensive IEMs out there, we need more sonic impressions! I can't wait to hear one myself actually, I've been using a single Dynamic for the longest period of time, ie800, so I am curious how RE2000 sounds compared to ie800!

More pictures would also help, RE2000 looks like it has a very interesting shape in person, how does it fit?

Jun 20, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #34 of 627
Fits well, I use the triple flange tips. Does stick out a bit more than slimmer models but so far no fit issues.

I have a bunch of cables I can try with them, mine have been left burning in, and I shall let the RE800 do the same.

Tips make a big difference on the RE800, so I'm guessing they will with the RE2000, the shallower, wider bore tips make them quite bassy, the triple flange brings out the midrange more.

Jun 20, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #35 of 627
Fits well, I use the triple flange tips. Does stick out a bit more than slimmer models but so far no fit issues.

I have a bunch of cables I can try with them, mine have been left burning in, and I shall let the RE800 do the same.

Tips make a big difference on the RE800, so I'm guessing they will with the RE2000, the shallower, wider bore tips make them quite bassy, the triple flange brings out the midrange more.

Good to keep in mind!

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #36 of 627
Indeed! I am very curious about what other people think about RE2000

For one of the most expensive IEMs out there, we need more sonic impressions! I can't wait to hear one myself actually, I've been using a single Dynamic for the longest period of time, ie800, so I am curious how RE2000 sounds compared to ie800!

More pictures would also help, RE2000 looks like it has a very interesting shape in person, how does it fit?

Re2000 has an average price of a flagship iem, $2k seems to be an average these day, though they are probably the most expensive single DD. I will keep my review pair on a burn in for at least 100hrs before sharing any impressions. The sound already changed overnight in comparison to what I heard after unboxing.

The fit will be different for everybody. I have medium size ears with a wide and shallow earcanal opening before a sharp turn, so I can't use anything double or triple flange, relying only on large single flange tips. Re2000 nozzle is shallow while the iem shell is on a larger/heavier side. It's a tip-rolling deja vu from Andromeda days. Right now seems that Oriveti silicone tips do the trick for me, they are large enough and the core is long which keeps Re2k shells out a bit for a better comfort. Most likely, other people will have a different experience.

Jun 22, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #37 of 627
HiFiMan sent me a pair for review too, which I've just unboxed.

The interesting thing for me was that instead of using memory wire on the cables, they included a plastic attachment for each ear which you can optionally attach to the cables yourself. Also, the individual IEMs don't have a left or right, as you can use them in reverse depending on whether you want the cable going down, or around your ears. A nice idea, if a bit fiddly to set up.

Initial listening has been through an Yggy and NFB-1AMP with the attached bi-flange tips. With acoustic music and Chesky binarural the sound is pretty impressive, but that is without comparing them or trying other gear.

Jun 22, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #38 of 627
First listen - 10 minutes in the ear, so just an early impression. Reminds me a bit of the Sirius with more body and more bass - but still very balanced. Mid-range is gorgeous. No lack of detail, but not etched in any way. If I disregard price, then I've gotta admit that first impression is excellent. I get sent quite a bit of gear - but I really want to spend some time with these after the first listen. More coming ......

Jun 22, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #39 of 627
First listen - 10 minutes in the ear, so just an early impression. Reminds me a bit of the Sirius with more body and more bass - but still very balanced. Mid-range is gorgeous. No lack of detail, but not etched in any way. If I disregard price, then I've gotta admit that first impression is excellent. I get sent quite a bit of gear - but I really want to spend some time with these after the first listen. More coming ......

I keep grabbing them over other gear at the moment, there's something about them that just sounds right.

I'll try and write a brief paragraph today on them. I was using the triple flange tips, but have gone back to the stock grey bi flange as they fit me well too.

Jun 22, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #40 of 627
Thought I better measure before they got too much time on them. Usual disclaimer:

The graphs below are generated using the Vibro Veritas coupler and ARTA software. Ken Ball (ALO/Campfire) graciously provided me with measurement data which I have used to recalibrate my Veritas so that it mimics an IEC 711 measurement standard (Ken uses two separate BK ear simulators, we measured the same set of IEMs, and I built my calibration curve from shared data). I do not claim that this data is 100% accurate, but it is very consistent, and is as close as I can get to the IEC 711 standard on my budget. I do not claim that the measurements are in any way more accurate than anyone else's, but they have been proven to be consistent and I think they should be enough to give a reasonable idea of response - especially if you've followed any of my other reviews. When measuring I always use crystal foam tips (so medium bore opening) - and the reason I use them is for very consistent seal and placement depth in the coupler. I use the same amp (E11K) for all my measurements - and output is under 1 ohm.

Click the images for larger versions

First up the RE-2000 - left and right channels.

Re2000 channels.png

Next the RE-800 left and right.

Re800 channels.png

RE-2000 vs RE-800

RE2000 vs RE800.png

Now the interesting ones. Occurred to me as I was listening that the RE-2000 has very good extension, but not etched or spot-lit. Kinda like the new DK-3001 from Dunu - which I loved. So - RE-2000 vs DK-3001:

RE2000 vs DK-3001.png

You can see the very similar upper mid-range boost and overall extension - it really works pretty well (IMO anyway). And because I still have the original Andro measurements - here is the RE-2000 vs the Andromeda:

RE2000 vs Andromeda.png

You'll need to talk to guys like Alex (Twister) or someone else who has an Andromeda if you want direct comparisons. I was only part of a tour - so although I've reviewed a lot of the Campfire IEMs, I have none to directly compare (they were always returned).

Jun 22, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #41 of 627
And I know this is simply "new toy" syndrome - but I'm just listening to them straight from my iPhone at the moment, and I'd (probably rashly but honestly) suggest these are the best IEM's I've heard so far this year.

Jun 22, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #42 of 627
And I know this is simply "new toy" syndrome - but I'm just listening to them straight from my iPhone at the moment, and I'd (probably rashly but honestly) suggest these are the best IEM's I've heard so far this year.

Woah

You're in for a lot of fun in there!

Since they have a similar FR to DK-3001 which I currently love, it seems like RE-2000 will be another awesome IEM!

Since you mentioned RE-800, it does seem like it has a bit more treble, really curious how it stacks and given their FR, RE800 might be more comparable with ie800 rather than DK-3001 or RE2000

Jun 22, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #43 of 627
So here is a very little impression as promised earlier.

It's funny how when I listen to some of the higher end multi BA setups, they really impress with their separation and also how everything seems cranked to the max sometimes and the technical abilty is there. they have incredible detail and a more exciting presentation.

The RE2000 are almost the opposite, they don't want to be up in your face, or try to impress you with it's technical capabilites. These are what Final do in some respects, they don't care about being the most detailed and technical, they just want you to enjoy the music.

This is not to say they are not technically capable, or are missing out on detail.

The lows are very well behaved, being full but nothing over the top, they really can come out when called for, yet most of the time are just there keeping you interested without grabbing your attention. The texure and extension of the lows is very impressive, and they have the capability to morph with the track you are listening to. Fast paced rock they are tight and hit with good impact, slower pulsating beats they dig deep and have a fullness lacking in some IEM's. I would actually say they are similar to having a well integrated subwoofer in a system, they do not stand out in particular until called for where they add sub-bass rumble with ease and without bloat.

The mids are where these are at their finest, with a slight bump to make them sound a little mid forward, but the micro detail retrieval here is at it's finest. But they do not have a dry approach, again texture and tonality are excellent here. From Brooko's measurements you can see a slight dip at around 900Hz, I think this is what stops the mids being warmed up by the bass, as they sound very separate but not detached from the lows. Everything flows easily, with superb detail that is not thrown in your face but there if you listen, and also without harshness.

The highs are very linear and in the right place, with the perfect amount of presence without sounding bright and thin. They extend effortlessly without any metallic tinge, or any grain. The separation again is excellent and you can hear all the different styles of cymbal taps with ease, I will have to test with some classical but I mainly listen to rock.

The soundstage is very real, it is not super wide, but is definitely out of the head. I personally prefer a more realistic and enveloping soundstage, than an artifically wide soundstage.

These somehow manage to be musical yet well balanced, euphoric, they strike the balanced between being thin and being thick, and are just a highly enjoyable IEM.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #44 of 627
Nice measurements. I think what people sometimes make a mistake with, is comparing measurements made by different rigs and compensation curves, when really what should be done is to look at relative differences on the same setup, something like what you did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back