The Hifiman RE2000 - a high end dynamic IEM
Jun 22, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #46 of 627
So here is a very little impression as promised earlier.

It's funny how when I listen to some of the higher end multi BA setups, they really impress with their separation and also how everything seems cranked to the max sometimes and the technical abilty is there. they have incredible detail and a more exciting presentation.

The RE2000 are almost the opposite, they don't want to be up in your face, or try to impress you with it's technical capabilites. These are what Final do in some respects, they don't care about being the most detailed and technical, they just want you to enjoy the music.

The is not to say they are not technically capable, or are missing out on detail.

The lows are very well behaved, being full but nothing over the top, they really can come out when called for, yet most of the time are just there keeping you interested without grabbing your attention. The texure and extension of the lows is very impressive, and they have the capability to morph with the track you are listening to. Fast paced rock they are tight and hit with good impact, slower pulsating beats they dig deep and have a fullness lacking in some IEM's. I would actually say they are similar to having a well integrated subwoofer in a system, they do not stand out in particular until called for where they add sub-bass rumble with ease and without bloat.

The mids are where these are at their finest, with a slight bump to make them sound a little mid forward, but the micro detail retrieval here is at it's finest. But they do not have a dry approach, again texture and tonality are excellent here. From Brooko's measurements you can see a slight dip at around 900Hz, I think this is what stops the mids being warmed up by the bass, as they sound very separate but not detached from the lows. Everything flows easily, with superb detail that is not thrown in your face but there if you listen, and also without harshness.

The highs are very linear and in the right place, with the perfect amount of presence without sounding bright and thin. They extend effortlessly without any metallic tinge, or any grain. The separation again is excellent and you can hear all the different styles of cymbal taps with ease, I will have to test with some classical but I mainly listen to rock.

The soundstage is very real, it is not super wide, but is definitely out of the head. I personally prefer a more realistic and enveloping soundstage, than an artifically wide soundstage.

These somehow manage to be musical yet well balanced, euphoric, they strike the balanced between being thin and being thick, and are just a highly enjoyable IEM.

Can't wait to read more of your thoughts! It sounds like RE2000 is a real winner for a fun and musically enjoyable experience. The way you describe them is kind of similar to how HE-1 sounds, if memory serves me well.

Can't wait to hear them myself!

BTW, it sounds like RE-2000 would work really well with acoustic rock and with ballads, as well as electronic music.

It would be useful if people posting impressions could say which tips they're using. Thanks. With Comply tips the RE2000$ can be pretty bassy.

Almost any IEM out there can be pretty bassy with comply though - not only RE2000.

Jun 22, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #48 of 627
I'm using Shure Olives for a start - until I get used to the insertion depth. Will be trying them with some Sony Isolation tips shortly (silicone outer, foam inner).

Jun 22, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #50 of 627
Using the Sony Isolation tips now (same as Trinity's Kombi tips if anyone wants to try them). Fit is good, very comfortable too. Sound is great.

Jun 22, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #51 of 627
Using the Sony Isolation tips now (same as Trinity's Kombi tips if anyone wants to try them). Fit is good, very comfortable too. Sound is great.

You remind me that I have a rather limited selection of tips at the moment, lets hope that they will work with RE2000 just well!

We don't have a picture with what comes in the box yet, who manages to take more pictures and process them, it would be awesome to know that as well!!

Jun 22, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #52 of 627
We don't have a picture with what comes in the box yet, who manages to take more pictures and process them, it would be awesome to know that as well!!

The box itself is already quite luxurious (not unlike the storage box of my HD 800). Inside we have the ear pieces, the cable, replacement 2-pin plugs, an aluminium carrying case, a warranty card, manual, two pairs of comply foam tips, b two pairs of bi-flange tips (grey and black), two pairs of triple-flange tips and one pair of single-flame tips.

Sorry, I still haven't developed the photos. :wink:

Jun 22, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #53 of 627
The box itself is already quite luxurious (not unlike the storage box of my HD 800). Inside we have the ear pieces, the cable, replacement 2-pin plugs, an aluminium carrying case, a warranty card, manual, two pairs of comply foam tips, b two pairs of bi-flange tips (grey and black), two pairs of triple-flange tips and one pair of single-flame tips.

Sorry, I still haven't developed the photos. :wink:

Hopefully, you'll get them developed soon!

Jun 22, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #54 of 627
[Mod Comment]

No further discussion on burn-in in this thread please - there is a new one in Sound Science, and I have moved posts there

Discussion here should just be about the RE-2000.

Jun 23, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #55 of 627
Hopefully, you'll get them developed soon!

Got 'em developed for you. :)

9962959.jpg
9962960.jpg
9962961.jpg
9962962.jpg

Attachments

• DSC03837.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC03838.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC03839.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC03840.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
Jun 23, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #57 of 627
Jun 23, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #59 of 627
U happy now? :wink:

That full control you have over each image - must be really nice. . .

A typical smartphone with a better camera outputs pretty good photos these days, but they're still nowhere near DSLR RAW quality

Man, the finish on the box looks nice. I am really curious for more impressions about the sound quality when people have the time to post more!

EDIT: Romanian DHL blocked my package in customs so I probably won't get to hear RE2000 until Monday at the earliest, but it might be even Tuesday...

Jun 24, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #60 of 627
Indeed! I am very curious about what other people think about RE2000

For one of the most expensive IEMs out there, we need more sonic impressions! I can't wait to hear one myself actually, I've been using a single Dynamic for the longest period of time, ie800, so I am curious how RE2000 sounds compared to ie800!

More pictures would also help, RE2000 looks like it has a very interesting shape in person, how does it fit?

Re800 sounds bad now with the current competition. Midfi at best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back