The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Apr 3, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #2,251 of 2,420
Ok it's been a couple of more hours and still no cigar or signs of life. Doesn't show any light indication and will not power on, no sound will come out of these things!! I tried plugging my phone into it while it was unplugged from the wall though and it started charging my phone!?! So weird, so it must have some juice in the battery just not enough to power the thing on. Wonder if the battery is bad or maybe a defective unit itself? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey,
It should show flashing lights and charge to 80% within two hours. You must have got a defective unit. Easiest would be to order another one and return this one to Amazon.

Apr 3, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #2,252 of 2,420
Hey,
It should show flashing lights and charge to 80% within two hours. You must have got a defective unit. Easiest would be to order another one and return this one to Amazon.

Yeah I think you might be right it's such a shame I was hoping to use them. Is the indicator light suppose to blink right away when you plug them in or after it has a charge?

Apr 3, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #2,253 of 2,420
Yeah I think you might be right it's such a shame I was hoping to use them. Is the indicator light suppose to blink right away when you plug them in or after it has a charge?

Yes, it starts blinking right away.

Apr 3, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #2,254 of 2,420
Starting the return process for this amp. A couple reviews on Amazon say after awhile their battery becomes defective in less than a year, so conveniently for the seller as it's over the return period. Have these amps been in storage for years until the battery is no longer any good? It looks like you can't buy a replacement battery for this amp either. Too bad you can't just plug this amp in and just use it from a power source. When I opened the device up the battery is cheaply put together with globs of glue like a little kid did it. I wonder if a person could put together their own battery? How unfortunate as I was really hoping to listen to some great sound on my days off :frowning2:. I'm really starting to have second thoughts about this amp, just couldn't justify spending over $500 on something else as I'll want to get a good sound system later on. The headphone world is a solo experience and a temporary fix until I'm in a better place where I can make some big noise.

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #2,255 of 2,420
Starting the return process for this amp. A couple reviews on Amazon say after awhile their battery becomes defective in less than a year, so conveniently for the seller as it's over the return period. Have these amps been in storage for years until the battery is no longer any good? It looks like you can't buy a replacement battery for this amp either. Too bad you can't just plug this amp in and just use it from a power source. When I opened the device up the battery is cheaply put together with globs of glue like a little kid did it. I wonder if a person could put together their own battery? How unfortunate as I was really hoping to listen to some great sound on my days off :frowning2:. I'm really starting to have second thoughts about this amp, just couldn't justify spending over $500 on something else as I'll want to get a good sound system later on. The headphone world is a solo experience and a temporary fix until I'm in a better place where I can make some big noise.

Can't answer any of your questions. Mine is well loved and way over a year old and the battery still charges, but only 2/3 of the battery lights work no matter how long it's charged. If you username is indicative of your listening preferences and you're in no hurries I'd suggest making another attempt at snatching this amp.

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #2,256 of 2,420
My friend loving the C5 signature anyway.
Another Cayin C5 convert, and his audio chain is now truly ready for planar cans with C5 at the end vs his old Altoid amp.

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #2,257 of 2,420
I am amazed at the synergy it gives to the Audeze Sine. What clarity and resolution! The low end is so perfectly balanced. When I try to work with that combo in action, I cannot. The music simply diverts my attention.

May 8, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #2,258 of 2,420
I was wondering how many of you are using the C5 as a desktop solution. I've been pairing the C5 with the HiFime 9018D USB DAC (which sports a Sabre ES9018K2M DAC) but because the DAC does not have a line out, I am probably getting double-amped all these while.

Last month I was able to sample a demo unit of the Onkyo DP-X1A and my gosh the transparency and quality of the audio from the dap was on a whole other level. My question is, does anyone have any recommendations of a stand-alone dac (with line-out) to go with the C5 to get close to the level of fidelity of the DP-X1A (without destroying my wallet)? Or would I be better off saving for the DP-X1A as an audio solution for something sub $1k?

May 28, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #2,260 of 2,420
I was wondering how many of you are using the C5 as a desktop solution. I've been pairing the C5 with the HiFime 9018D USB DAC (which sports a Sabre ES9018K2M DAC) but because the DAC does not have a line out, I am probably getting double-amped all these while.

Last month I was able to sample a demo unit of the Onkyo DP-X1A and my gosh the transparency and quality of the audio from the dap was on a whole other level. My question is, does anyone have any recommendations of a stand-alone dac (with line-out) to go with the C5 to get close to the level of fidelity of the DP-X1A (without destroying my wallet)? Or would I be better off saving for the DP-X1A as an audio solution for something sub $1k?

If you are using it primarily for desktop, that I suppose you are OK with a slightly bulky "transportable" rig?

See if you can get hold of a Cayin N6 DAP, the on-going price is below US$500 and in my opinion, this is the best sounding DAP at this price range,

https://www.amazon.com/Cayin-N6-PCM1792A-lossless-player/dp/B00R5G9WEC
https://shop.musicteck.com/collections/cayin/products/cayin-n6-pcm1792a-chip-dsd-lossless-music-player

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 13, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #2,263 of 2,420
My C5 Rev 2 came with the C5 DAC's instruction manual, maybe a mistake on Cayin's part?

Can you show me the photo of the C5 you have received? especially the bottom part of the amplifier? The most important thing is to make sure you have received the C5, not the C5DAC.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 15, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #2,265 of 2,420
IMG_20170615_191856.jpg
IMG_20170615_191807.jpg
IMG_20170615_192102.jpg
Can you show me the photo of the C5 you have received? especially the bottom part of the amplifier? The most important thing is to make sure you have received the C5, not the C5DAC.
It looks like the regular C5 but I wanted to make sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back