Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Apr 23, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #2,897 of 6,079
hi guys.

i was so troubled to choose which one to choose.
KSE1500 or 64audioTia Fourte.
personally i loved to listen classical music, instrumental and vocal more than other genre such as rock or EDM.
preferred no stack up required, while using iphone 7 or SONY NW-WM1-Z.
please kindly assist, thanks.

Shawn. 

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #2,898 of 6,079
hi guys.

i was so troubled to choose which one to choose.
KSE1500 or 64audioTia Fourte.
personally i loved to listen classical music, instrumental and vocal more than other genre such as rock or EDM.
preferred no stack up required, while using iphone 7 or SONY NW-WM1-Z.
please kindly assist, thanks.

Shawn. 

I think the Fourte is getting a lot of hype purely because of its price tag. If you want to avoid the electrostatic amp, check out the JH Lola or Beyerdynamic Xelento. To my ears they're both better-sounding (and cheaper) than the Fourte.

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #2,899 of 6,079
I think the Fourte is getting a lot of hype purely because of its price tag. If you want to avoid the electrostatic amp, check out the JH Lola or Beyerdynamic Xelento. To my ears they're both better-sounding (and cheaper) than the Fourte.

previously i own layla 2, for my own preference, layla 2 is better than JH Lola.
currently im looking for something better than layla 2.
i have tested shure kse1500, indeed clarity works like a wonder, however i dont intend to carry any DAC or stack-up again, troublesome while travelling for a short distance.
for Tia fourte, the sound is similar with Layla2 with silver cable, yes the price looks hype for me. if only there a obvious difference i don't mind paying for that.

Apr 27, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #2,900 of 6,079
.... Tia fourte, the sound is similar with Layla2 with silver cable, yes the price looks hype for me. if only there a obvious difference i don't mind paying for that.

time will tell. We should read soon the first listening impressions from the happy early buyers of the Fourte.
I used to own the KSE1500 but sold it because I was feed-up with multi boxes set-up (A&K + Mojo + Shure)

Apr 27, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #2,901 of 6,079
time will tell. We should read soon the first listening impressions from the happy early buyers of the Fourte.
I used to own the KSE1500 but sold it because I was feed-up with multi boxes set-up (A&K + Mojo + Shure)
totally agreed with this issue.
fedup with multiple set-up.
simply annoying, ended up i choose Tia fourte with PWaudio 4 wired.

Apr 27, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #2,903 of 6,079
Time will NOT tell if the Fourte is good. Only trying it will tell. Because 64 will certainly have "encouraged" some reviewers to praise it, and those who bought it will have 3600$ worth of bias.
i have tested KSE1500, Zeus XRA, A18Tzar and Tiar Fourte.
KSE1500 clarity simply win Zeus XRA and A18.
however to be honest when u changed the cable to silver cable, Zeus could say on par with KSE1500.
As for A18 with silver cable, i no need to say much on this, the clarity is better and treble improved without affecting the bass.
i also pre-order Tia fourte not because of flagship, or how not expensive it is, i ordered due to i feel that is far more better than any iems i have tried, personal reference only.
for KSE1500, if only they can change the cables, i believed it can be the best for clarity.
however is sad that for the time being, i don't think any IEMs is the best of the best.
there are only world class IEMs and no Top class IEMs in this world yet.
for anyone who is thinking im choosing side for IEM, i'm still new to IEMs.
personally i preferred to trust my hearing than my heart.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #2,904 of 6,079
totally agreed with this issue.
fedup with multiple set-up.
simply annoying, ended up i choose Tia fourte with PWaudio 4 wired.

Dear sir,

Do you have pictures of your Fourte and PWaudio 4 wired ? or just the PWaudio 4 wired cable ?

Where did you buy this cable ? is it all silver ?

thanks

Apr 28, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #2,905 of 6,079
Dear sir,

Do you have pictures of your Fourte and PWaudio 4 wired ? or just the PWaudio 4 wired cable ?

Where did you buy this cable ? is it all silver ?

thanks
hi
tia fourte currently shipping will reached singapore by mid of may.
is PWaudio 4 wired cable not intergrated.
i bought it at music sanctuary in Singapore, yes is a silver cable.

Apr 28, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #2,906 of 6,079
hi
tia fourte currently shipping will reached singapore by mid of may.
is PWaudio 4 wired cable not intergrated.
i bought it at music sanctuary in Singapore, yes is a silver cable.

I am sure you will enjoy your new toy !

Please let us know your final listening impressions once you receive your Tia Fourte. and let us know how the Silver cable improve SQ upon the standard stock cable.

In the mean time can you post a picture of the PWaudio 4 wired cable ?

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #2,907 of 6,079
Will you ever have a chance to pair it with Currowang soundaware M1Pro? I think maybe a warmer sound pairs better with KSE1500.

I was wondering whether anyone would mention the Soundaware M1 Pro in this thread. This is what I've been primarily pairing with the KSE1500 out of my current potential sources which include the Sony WM1Z, LPG, QP1R, Opus #2, AR-M2, Ibasso DX200 & Mojo.

The size as a pairing is part of that reason as it makes for a very clean, lean, neat stack. The other part is the sound; the M1 Pro does have a warm sound but it's the implementation of the DAC and a particularly clean line-out which work well. Here, it has the cleanest line-out of any of my portable sources.
The M1 Pro is a cross between the M1 Analog and M1 Vitality. The Analog is a very warm, lush... soft sounding DAP which I feel is hampered by a very narrow soundstage which when combined can make for a very congested presentation. The Vitality is a more detailed, open digital sounding player with a noticeably wider soundstage. The Pro sounds like a combination of these, with a warm but slightly clearer, brighter presentation than the Analog combined with the wide sound of the Vitality. Detail retrieval is still excellent but its presentation is unusual compared to the other DAPs mentioned above given what Soundaware were aiming for with their DAC design.

I bought it specifically as a source for the KSE1500 with the intention of the pairing providing something akin to a nice valve amp + Stax setup, in portable form. In that respect it doesn't deliver because the Analog sounds more like an old transistor amp than tubey (ie. it's not adding harmonics). As a pairing the speed and detail retrieval remain but there is a softness to the occaisional peakiness I can encounter on certain recordings using other sources and a nice added warmth to the very flat (and accurate) presentation of the low frequencies.
The KSE1500 is indeed a technical tour-de-force but its speed and accuracy is also something I don't always feel enamoured with. It may well be everything else I own is coloured in some way but for example I miss the resonance of cellos or the gritty weight of bass guitar distortion. There is a slight richness which the M1Pro adds to these while still maintaining instrumental accuracy.

The huge achilles heel of the M1Pro is undoubtedly the UI though. It feels like someone was tasked with designing it without having the DAP with them so for example browsing via folders has a large folder icon obscuring half the screen... which I think is diabolical. Whether Soundaware will fix things like these, I don't know... I'm not going to hold my breath. It does feel a bit like a work in progress rather than a finished product.

Anyhow, if you're looking for a polished UI, don't bother. If you're a treble head or someone who values pure detail retrieval above all else then the M1Pro may not be for you.
If you're looking for a clean stack and a slightly less aggressive presentation while maintaining excellent detail retrieval, I would highly recommend checking the M1Pro out.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #2,908 of 6,079
I'll briefly mention the main reasons I don't use the other sources I've mentioned above... for my preferences:
Sony WM1Z - Weighty & bulky, occaisionally too lush, soft sounding - My third favourite portable source nevertheless
LPG - Aggressive presentation can make for some peakiness and narrow soundstage, good low mass though - My second favourite portable source nevertheless
QP1R - Still like this as a source but it can be a little too lean for my tastes and again, hot treble
Acoustic Research AR-M2 - Too much low end emphasis with an overly coloured sound. Not as clean sounding
Mojo - Adds warmth but again, a little hot treble for me and like the LPG, I find the soundstage narrow
Opus #2 & IBasso DX200 - Actually I need to try these properly. I do like the DX200 as a source but only paired briefly. The Opus #2 has a similar but warmer sound. I suspect the Opus #2 will be a good source

As for desktop sources, the Chord Dave remains my favourite source above all else if you don't mind being tethered to a desk. Benchmark material for me. Got a Hugo V2 on order and crossing my fingers it will be a good portable alternative.

Additionally with the mention of headphones, I don't own any full size electrostats. Owned the SR-009 for a while but it wasn't getting enough head time and was moved on a couple of years ago. Speed and accuracy are maintained but the low-end presentation, layering and soundstage are very different. The SR-009 always had a slightly 'floating' instrumental presentation which I never got used to... perhaps as my listening habits mature.

I do however own quite a few planars and dynamics (Utopia, Kennerton Odin, HE1000 V1, HD800, PS1000e, Sony MDR-Z1R & Abyss being among the best I currently own) - none of them would I consider comparable to the KSE1500 - they're not better or worse just simply different technologies with a different sound. The strength of the KSE1500 has its foundations in being an electrostat. In my opinion you're going to have to look for an electrostat system if you want to maintain these qualities. I feel the same about alternative IEMs as well though I am aware there are some very interesting technologies being released at the moment.

Apr 30, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #2,909 of 6,079
The NW-WM1Z doesn't have a line out. I've not been able to get a proper/decent volume output match from the NW-WM1Z to the KSE1500 even with various combination settings (even playing around with input pad).

A DAP with a proper lineout is a better match - e.g. something like the iBasso DX200.

May 1, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #2,910 of 6,079
The NW-WM1Z doesn't have a line out. I've not been able to get a proper/decent volume output match from the NW-WM1Z to the KSE1500 even with various combination settings (even playing around with input pad).

A DAP with a proper lineout is a better match - e.g. something like the iBasso DX200.

Indeed this is correct on the player itself.
There is, however, a way of getting a 'true' line-out via the proprietary Sony connector at the bottom however while it is the same connector as some previous Sony DAPs, the connector/adapter/converter for the WM1Z/A series of Walkmans has some sort of circuit inside of it.

I made the mistake of ordering the standard line-out connector and it does not work with the WM1 series despite being the same plug. In the end I found a supplier for a blank WM1 compatible connector complete with the required circuit inside the plug and soldered up my own line out connector.
You do not encounter the low-volume issue you do with the headphone out and additionally the output is slightly more open and less thick. It does, however, add an extra inch to the bottom of an already bulky device.

I haven't looked since I made this but there may well be the line-out connector now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back