Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jul 19, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #7,921 of 9,320
here is my eq settings, minus 2.5 db at 6.5 khz is enough, boosting the 1200hz and 2500hz is necessary because there is dips in the measurments, not so much at 1200 hz but i find that boosting them gives very nice vocal presentation, little boost in the lower bass cant hurt anyone
Screenshot (17).png
Screenshot (16).png

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #7,922 of 9,320
I just got in a pair of used HD700. First impression, I do like, but not love them right now. I really like how they sound with my system, the highs are great - really smooth, yet right upfront, powerful and very dynamic. I have no issue with the highs. The mids seem fine - have not listened to anything vocal centric yet, but instruments sound great. The bass is nice and very detailed, moreso than any other headphone I have - just lighter than any other headphone I have, including my SHP9500. I do like the bass even if it's a 'bass light' can in impact. I really like the detail, clarity, and imaging they have...REALLY EXCELLENT! Definitely the most resolving and clearest sounding can I have now.

I'd say it's a headphone that is kind of the opposite of my modded Fostex TH-X00 PH... that focuses on the bass and lovely warm, thick enhanced intimate sound. In comparison, the HD700 on my first listen focuses most on its highs, has a more natural and extremely detailed sound that really is wide and enveloping.

Actual fit of the HD700 is great, if it weren't for the headband I would say they would be the most comfortable headphone I have. Cups and earpads fit great, though there is something in the pads that makes a 'STAX fart' sound whenever you move them around on your head. Top headband padding seems to put a little bit of pressure on the head, not bad but my TH-X00 PH headband feels just a little better to me, and the modded leather strap I have on my SHP9500s cannot be beat by anything, the cups are just slightly less comfortable than the HD700 though. Oh yeah, and the stock cable is as janky and weird as everyone says, pretty sure will be getting a custom one made for it... stock cable is annoying me. Anyways, just my first thoughts based on a few songs from the O-zone Percussion Group 'La Bamba' album.

i-z7r6P5R.jpg

Aug 11, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #7,923 of 9,320
@VRacer-111 , had to take a second look but its 2 H-10 amps you have there, is there any reason for 2 of the same amps? Also, while I know the H-10 is slightly warmer than neutral I hope you get to try a decent tube amp with the HD700, its where they really shine to me. +1 on the cable, LOL

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #7,924 of 9,320
@VRacer-111 , had to take a second look but its 2 H-10 amps you have there, is there any reason for 2 of the same amps? Also, while I know the H-10 is slightly warmer than neutral I hope you get to try a decent tube amp with the HD700, its where they really shine to me. +1 on the cable, LOL

Well, at the price I could get them I wanted 2 so I could have one as a standard for comparing opamps against, plus spare since zero kind of warranty with them. Phenominal amp for the price (under $300), and absolutely beats the pants off the Meier JAZZ-ff... The top H10 Gustard has the top cover cutout for planned cooling updates in addition to Burson V6 Classic opamps and heatsinks installed on the voltage regulators and the transistors on the large heatsink. I am thinking about maybe building a Bottlehead S.E.X 3.0 in the future...will see.

My mostly complete modded H10, which when done will be mirrored on the second one other than keeping stock opamps:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Audio/n-6fh3fz/i-nLw5jTj/0/d929353d/O/i-nLw5jTj.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Audio/n-6fh3fz/i-W8LjGMB/0/88d2aecf/O/i-W8LjGMB.jpg

Sep 3, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #7,926 of 9,320
Hi everyone I've been thinking about upgrading my DAC for a while now. My headphones are hd700 and my DAC is modi 2 U and the AMP is lyr2.

I was thinking of getting one of audio-gd DAC's and someone suggested that I get NFB-28.38 since it's a balanced DAC/AMP and I actually like that idea but I don't know about the sabre DAC and how well it sound with my headphone .

Also I want your thoughts abut DAC or NOS-19 with lyr2 vs NFB-28.38 (Balance). Which one would be better sounding?

Sep 3, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #7,927 of 9,320
"better" sounding is a personal preference. I wouldn't suggest a sabre DAC for the HD700 since I think they are slightly bright which is not the best choice for the HD700. Your Modi2uber is decent and you might be better served with rolling tubes in the Lyr2 versus a new DAC/amp. I have a Lyr2 but I like the HD700 better with a BH Crack or Project Ember and going balanced does not always mean better quality sound, there are some amp designers that say SE is better than balanced so YMMV. Of the AudioGD DACs I would look at one of the PCM1704 chips based DACs but this is just my preference.

Sep 4, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #7,929 of 9,320
After heard/owing at least 15 devices with Sabre dac chips in them it's my experience that the difference between the implementation of the chip in those is as big as between different chips.

My favorite pairing with the HD700 is the (Sabre) DAC on the Burson V2+ to the Project Ember II. I've tried a lot of different sources and this is what I tend to come back to as my preferred one with the HD700 so obviously (and as always) YMMV.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #7,930 of 9,320
Hi everyone I've been thinking about upgrading my DAC for a while now. My headphones are hd700 and my DAC is modi 2 U and the AMP is lyr2.

Get rid of the Modi 2 Uber ... seriously. The worst sounding DAC I've ever heard. When I did a head-to-head with the M2U, and my collection of DACs, it was a stand-out (and not in a good way). Completely lifeless in the midrange, which will be a real problem with the HD-700s.

Start there and then evaluate your next move.

Sep 5, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #7,932 of 9,320
After heard/owing at least 15 devices with Sabre dac chips in them it's my experience that the difference between the implementation of the chip in those is as big as between different chips.

My favorite pairing with the HD700 is the (Sabre) DAC on the Burson V2+ to the Project Ember II. I've tried a lot of different sources and this is what I tend to come back to as my preferred one with the HD700 so obviously (and as always) YMMV.

Will Kingwa said that there implementation of there sabre DAC is neutral . And there is sum people like there NFB-28.38 with HD800 that what makes me consider it .

Both NOS-19 and DAC-19 are R2R and the new R2R version is FPGA and seems good but I'm not an expert in these regards .

The problem is that the more I ask the more confusing I am :sweat: and there is no way for me to try any audio equipment in my country because there is no specialized audio store here.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #7,933 of 9,320
hd700 soundstage is big but at the same time is like a bubble, is deep and stretched out, the imaging is laser sharp and precise, they are very different from akg k601, k601 have big soundstage but very diffuse imaging, i assume that the geometry of the cups and the placement of the driver of hd700 is part of the reason for the soundstage size and very good imaging , when i tryed the hd800 they had even bigger soundstage
anyone with similar observations about the bubble feeling?

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #7,935 of 9,320
Get rid of the Modi 2 Uber ... seriously. The worst sounding DAC I've ever heard. When I did a head-to-head with the M2U, and my collection of DACs, it was a stand-out (and not in a good way). Completely lifeless in the midrange, which will be a real problem with the HD-700s.

Start there and then evaluate your next move.

Here is a good combo for the HD 700's:
9933247_m.jpg

You have to upgrade the Stock Cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back