Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jun 25, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #7,876 of 9,298
finally i found a way to dissemble the headband pad, after checking a taiwanese website
http://www.andaudio.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=129027

see below photo to have an idea how to remove the silver plastic, more or less like use something to pushdown,with the motion to push silver plastic away.

then we can see the structure of the plastic, which we can just pull it out, with finger/nails

photo 3, we can see the metal that gives the feeling when we adjust the headphone

Sg7tcFF.jpg

yg8Jlno.jpg

YrCKf1H.jpg

xeJto6y.jpg

BgsiOpY.jpg

i hope after my post here, everyone in the world(literally) would have no problem removing this, and you are most welcome to create a youtube video too. i love this headphone!

by the way, good news, quality earpad are showing up in ebay, at 1/3 of the cost! i have ordered one, and will show photo when it arrives.

the damage to my plastic bit is due to my lack of knowledge before i got the taiwan website. once i got the idea of silver plastic, it was removed in 1 try.

please try and spread the knowledge!

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #7,879 of 9,298
Finally got my hands on a Valhalla 2. These really shine with it. The bass is more impactful, but controlled and the treble is a little more tame, bringing out the mids a bit more. I'll start tube rolling eventually, but right now, I can't get over the difference this amp made.

Jun 30, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #7,881 of 9,298
Hi guys. Today I had the opportunity to demo the HD700 paired with the Hegel H160. I was blown away. The best I had heard prior to this was my own Denon AH-D5000 via the dragonfly red. How much was the HD700 and how much was the H160? The H160 is of course quite pricey - I felt the HD700, on the songs I listened to at the demo, handidly outperformed my D5Ks. The treble peak was quite a bit higher up then I thought it would be and it seems like something you could bypass/eq down with no issues. All in all I was shocked at the quality. I have a pair of TH900 in the mail.. Can I expect same or better overall quality out of them? Or should I start saving for the H160 OR HD700? :D

Jun 30, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #7,882 of 9,298
Hi guys. Today I had the opportunity to demo the HD700 paired with the Hegel H160. I was blown away. The best I had heard prior to this was my own Denon AH-D5000 via the dragonfly red. How much was the HD700 and how much was the H160? The H160 is of course quite pricey - I felt the HD700, on the songs I listened to at the demo, handidly outperformed my D5Ks. The treble peak was quite a bit higher up then I thought it would be and it seems like something you could bypass/eq down with no issues. All in all I was shocked at the quality. I have a pair of TH900 in the mail.. Can I expect same or better overall quality out of them? Or should I start saving for the H160 OR HD700? :D

The TH900 is a different sound signature from the HD700 and I would suggest a tube amp like WA6-SE, Elise, Lyr2 or MicroZOTL2 for both, might be a lot cheaper than the H160

Jun 30, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #7,883 of 9,298
Hey guys, this is my first post but I've been a lurker on this site for many years now. I have been given the opportunity to trade in my HD600s for $300 and the HD700 is on Massdrop for $400. I currently have a Modi2/Vali stack and listen to mostly classic rock, progressive rock, psychedelic rock, a little electronic, and a very little rap. I always have LOVED treble far more than mids or lows so these headphones seem very exciting for me. Also I have only tried the HD800s in person but was blown away by the soundstage. Will the HD700s give me improvements in the two areas I love while still retaining/improving upon the detail of the HD600? Any thoughts would really help me out.

Jun 30, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #7,884 of 9,298
Hey guys, this is my first post but I've been a lurker on this site for many years now. I have been given the opportunity to trade in my HD600s for $300 and the HD700 is on Massdrop for $400. I currently have a Modi2/Vali stack and listen to mostly classic rock, progressive rock, psychedelic rock, a little electronic, and a very little rap. I always have LOVED treble far more than mids or lows so these headphones seem very exciting for me. Also I have only tried the HD800s in person but was blown away by the soundstage. Will the HD700s give me improvements in the two areas I love while still retaining/improving upon the detail of the HD600? Any thoughts would really help me out.

The HD700 is closer to the HD800 in sound signature than it is to the HD600. Is your Vali the first generation? If it is then I would suggest looking for a second generation one so you can roll tubes. Of look into a Garage 1217 Solstice or Polaris at about $250 since they both work well with the HD700.

Jun 30, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #7,885 of 9,298
The HD700 is closer to the HD800 in sound signature than it is to the HD600. Is your Vali the first generation? If it is then I would suggest looking for a second generation one so you can roll tubes. Of look into a Garage 1217 Solstice or Polaris at about $250 since they both work well with the HD700.

My Vali is first generation but I've read the some people find it suitable paired with the HD700s. Obviously if money was no object, there are 100s of better amps out there but I'm trying to upgrade as little as possible to have a noticable difference. I will certainly consider this when I do look to upgrade my amp. Would you say get a gen2 Vali or spend more and get the Valhalla?

Jun 30, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #7,886 of 9,298
Yep. The 700's are pretty close to the 800's. I actually preferred them to the 800's. They're definitely more detailed than the 600's to my ears. Soundstage between the 2 isn't even close. 700's project a bigger sound field.
Just my subjective opinion though.

Jun 30, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #7,888 of 9,298
My Vali is first generation but I've read the some people find it suitable paired with the HD700s. Obviously if money was no object, there are 100s of better amps out there but I'm trying to upgrade as little as possible to have a noticable difference. I will certainly consider this when I do look to upgrade my amp. Would you say get a gen2 Vali or spend more and get the Valhalla?

If you will stay with higher impedance headphones like the HD600 and HD700 then the Valhalla2 would an amp I would consider but if you think that you might want to try a planar like the HE400i or M1060 then I would go with the Vali2 or Little Dot 1+ if cost is really an issue. The Polaris or Solstice while almost double the price at $250 are quite a big step up in flexibility due to the adjustable output impedance, tube rolling (Solstice), bandwidth adjustment and input gain adjustment and are able to drive almost any headphone quite well and to me are a much better value.

Jun 30, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #7,889 of 9,298
Using HD 700s since past 2 year. IMHO, you can not do justice to this w/o a proper amp. But once that is there, you really dont need anything.
Recently checked on the Focal Euphoria (can not afford to spend 4K on these, thanks to one of my friend who let me try this).... different league, but still will stay with them.

Jul 1, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #7,890 of 9,298
If you will stay with higher impedance headphones like the HD600 and HD700 then the Valhalla2 would an amp I would consider but if you think that you might want to try a planar like the HE400i or M1060 then I would go with the Vali2 or Little Dot 1+ if cost is really an issue. The Polaris or Solstice while almost double the price at $250 are quite a big step up in flexibility due to the adjustable output impedance, tube rolling (Solstice), bandwidth adjustment and input gain adjustment and are able to drive almost any headphone quite well and to me are a much better value.

The Little Dot MK III is a great Amp for the HD 700's. You can Roll different Tubes, adjust Gain etc. Here is what I finally settled on:
9933245_m.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back