Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
May 31, 2012 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9,276

Windsor

1000+ Head-Fier
Here's a thread for the appreciation of the Sennheiser HD 700 headphone. 

Though - at time of writing - I don't have an HD 700 of my own, I've enjoyed them on the few occasions I've listened with them; some of my impressions can be found at the following links:

My initial HD 700 impressions: http://www.head-fi.org/t/589738/sennheiser-hd-700-officially-unveiled-at-ces-2012/2625#post_8378909

Later impression of the HD 700 compared to other headphones: http://www.head-fi.org/t/612250/comparing-some-of-the-finest-headphones-sennheiser-hd-600-hd-700-hd-800-hd-25-1-and-the-amperior-audio-technica-ath-m50s-audeze-lcd-2-rev-2-and-the-lcd-3

May 31, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 9,276
I can't wait to hear everyone's impressions after some burn-in time!

May 31, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 9,276
Thanks for creating this appreciation thread, Windsor! Looking forward to hear/read more impressions here 
wink_face.gif

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jun 1, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #5 of 9,276
I've had mine burning for about 6 hours so far and am really enjoying them. I was looking for greater clarity and treble extension than my HD650 with portability (I move around a lot while working and need something that can attach to my iPhone and travel with me). I did notice that driver placement on my head is pretty picky. If I push them forward so that the backs of my ears are touching the inside rear of the pads, the sibiliance and hot treble tones down a lot.

I just picked up "Born and Raised" by John Mayer and had a hard time liking it on my HD650- too muddy and undefined. I'm really liking it on the HD700 for the increased soundstage, clarity, and treble extension. Punchier bass, too. I have a lot more to listen to, but I can see where this could help out some of my darker CDs. Detail is certainly better, too.

James Taylor's "Live at the Beacon Theater" DVD was great. Really nice textures in the instruments and a very light yet full sound. Great micro detail compared to my HD650. It was a 256K mp3 rip, so they were pretty forgiving as well. Not so detailed that I heard artifacting from my iPhone.

Lastly, I've read some complaints about clamping force. I have what I would like to believe is a "normal" sized head and I wouldn't mind if there was a little more. The cans are very comfortable but I feel the pads sliding a bit when I look down.

This is all based on my iPhone and iPad unamped. I'll try them out with my iBasso D4 (iPad connected) and Little Dot mk III soon to see what they do. My LD has 8161s in it, so I'm interested to see what they do to the tone.

Overall, a nice set of cans but I'm still very on the fence about the value for the price. Thankfully, amazon will give me 28 more days to decide. It's definitely worth giving it a fair chance from what I've heard so far.

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #6 of 9,276
Looking forward to reading your updates. Its awesome that you have the HD650s and can compare. Really interested in seeing what you think once they are amped. I for one do not like my HD650s unamped, but going from my receiver to my E9, I am absolutely in love with them, but you know how it goes...you are always looking for a reason to buy something new!

Jun 1, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #8 of 9,276
I listened to the HD 700 on my Grace m903 and compared them to the HD 800 and HD 650.

I found them excellent and they did sit very well half way between the two; but as I already have the HD 800, did not see a reason to get them as the 800 was so much better.

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #9 of 9,276
I would really love to have a pair of HD800 and have really enjoyed them the few (short) times I've listened. Unfortunately, the amping requirements ($$$) and lack of portability kill the idea. If I keep the HD700, I'll add an iPhone cable (made from the Shure iem replacement cable) so that I can really work while plugged in.

Been listening to more on the iPad unamped (want to get "used" to the sound a bit before going to the amps) and do find it a little lean overall. I used the "Equalizer" app and added a +6db boost at 50Hz and -3db at 8KHz (to lower sibilance) and that worked nicely. I could certainly live with that as a portable solution.

I don't listen loud and still find myself 3 or 4 clicks from the top volume. It's true that the I-devices CAN drive the 700, but just barely. If you're a headbanger, you're gonna need an amp,plain and simple.

Just hit a few tracks on Norah Jones new CD which, like the John Mayer, felt pretty dark and muddy on my 650s (and really hard to like on my Monster Coppers) and it made much more sense on the 700. Also did John Williams score for "Memoirs of a Geisha" and it was extraordinary! The treble sparkle was just wonderful. Some genres will really shine on the 700s.

Beaver316- that's my thought. I got my 650 second hand and it has been a bargain for the price. The HD700 retail really is about $300 high in my opinion. Having said that, though, you pay if they're worth it to you and if you have the funds to work with. It's not the physical value of the can but perceived value to the listener.

Jun 2, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #10 of 9,276
I picked up a pair today. Instantly I like them better than the HD800 (do not read that as a declaration that they *are* better, just that I prefer them).
They sound about on par with my T1, or thereabouts. 

I'm running them out of a WA5 with Sophia tubes, I'll post impressions after while if anyone is interested.

Jun 3, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #12 of 9,276
Quote:
I picked up a pair today. Instantly I like them better than the HD800 (do not read that as a declaration that they *are* better, just that I prefer them).
They sound about on par with my T1, or thereabouts. 

I'm running them out of a WA5 with Sophia tubes, I'll post impressions after while if anyone is interested.

There are lots of bad reviews of this headphone and I'm very confused. I don't know what to think.

Im looking to upgrade my K701 with a more full-bodied, bassier and punchier headphone, without loss detail and with some sparkle. I'm thinking in PS500 and also in HD700 and T1. Please, can you briefly describe the similarities and differences between HD700 and T1?

For what I have read it seems that the T1 is the closest sounding headphone to HD700, but I don't know wich is better.

Thanks!

Jun 3, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #13 of 9,276
Quote:
For what I have read it seems that the T1 is the closest sounding headphone to HD700, but I don't know wich is better.

I can't tell you which is better yet. I need a bit of time with them.

I can see where some of the complaints come from on the HD700 though, there is a hotspot in the treble with some material.
I don't think it's bad personally, and a little eq to tame that and bring the mids up seems to neutralize that. But so far I think they are like a smaller-more-fun version of the HD800. Perhaps somewhere between T1 and HD800, tough to say for the moment.
I'll pop the T1s back on tonight and see what I think. 

Fit wise, the cups are just a bit too small. I have normal ears, and they do envelop my ears completely, but just barely. No wiggle room, so sometimes my lobes brush against the pads. T1 and HD800 have ample space and that never happened. Small niggle, but there and an appreciable complaint. However when sat correctly, they are very very comfy.

Sorry I can't give more than that right now.

Jun 3, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #14 of 9,276
Thanks for your answer.

Sorry, I didn't wanted to say "better" in absolute terms (I don't believe in that). I meant "closer to what I'm looking for" (more full-bodied, bassier and punchier headphone, without loss detail and with some sparkle).

If the HD700 is between T1 and HD800 perhaps the T1 is the one that I can like more.

Jun 3, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #15 of 9,276
Quote:
Thanks for your answer.

Sorry, I didn't wanted to say "better" in absolute terms (I don't believe in that). I meant "closer to what I'm looking for" (more full-bodied, bassier and punchier headphone, without loss detail and with some sparkle).

If the HD700 is between T1 and HD800 perhaps the T1 is the one that I can like more.

Quite possibly. I happily left the technical superiority of the HD800 for the gratification of the T1. It is almost as proficient at everything, but with a much better sound sig for me. The bass was a big factor.

I feel the same about the HD700, I just haven't gotten down to brass tax between the T1 and HD700 yet. I'll chime in once I have a solid opinion formed. Though I think based on what you write, either would be good.

Can you not get out and listen for yourself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back