Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jun 20, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #18,331 of 23,425
Hi guys

I'm thinking of buying Sennheiser HD 600. I have doubt if the following combos can drive it:

- Fiio X7 + AM5 Module;
- Fiio E17k + Fiio K5;

I got this info, but I dont know how to interpret correctly:

* Fiio AM5 module: Output into 300 ohms: >55 mW (300Ω/1 kHz)
* Fiio K5: Max Output Power @ 300 ohm: >150 mW

Any (or both?) of this combo would that be enough to get all the power from Sennheiser HD 600?

Thanks a lot for the help

Both can drive HD600 fairly well, but it will be a matter of your own preference if you like the sound in the end. X7+AM05 is more than enough for HD600, but it will be a bit warm while K5 is quite strong and should be fairly transparent.

If you're going for portable usage, X7+AM05 is one of the strongest things that exist on the market.

Jun 20, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #18,334 of 23,425
Hi @DavidA and others, first time posting here albeit I've been participating for quite some time on the FA Elise and Euforia threads. How do you find the K7XX as an alternative to the HD600? Most people consider the latter as end game for the money and usually propose going for more expensive gear. ATM I'm very satisfied with the HD 600 but I also have an itch for tasting some vfm alternatives - one of them being the K7XX and the other being a vintage pair of K240DF.

What do you think?

I think you are safe to try K7xx since it has very different sound signature as HD600. I ever had 650 and returned it after several days listening since it has very similar sound as 600. 7xx would give you another taste. But as David pointed out, OTL might not work well for 7xx

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #18,335 of 23,425
I think you are safe to try K7xx since it has very different sound signature as HD600. I ever had 650 and returned it after several days listening since it has very similar sound as 600. 7xx would give you another taste. But as David pointed out, OTL might not work well for 7xx

I agree that the differences between the 600 and 650 are subtle. I chose the 650 because I like the slightly elevated bass. Personally I see no reason to own both unless you're outfitting a recording studio.

Jun 20, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #18,336 of 23,425
I must be one of the few that think the HD600 and HD650 are quite different sounding, for watching TV with headphones the HD600 with its clear mids was so much better than the HD650 to me but with music the small peak at 4-5khz of the HD600 bothered me at times. I have now settle with either HD700 or custom Nhoord Red V2 build for watching TV since both of these headphones sound really good out of my HT receiver, have better dynamics and better sound stage than either the HD600/650.

Jun 20, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #18,337 of 23,425
I must be one of the few that think the HD600 and HD650 are quite different sounding, for watching TV with headphones the HD600 with its clear mids was so much better than the HD650 to me but with music the small peak at 4-5khz of the HD600 bothered me at times. I have now settle with either HD700 or custom Nhoord Red V2 build for watching TV since both of these headphones sound really good out of my HT receiver, have better dynamics and better sound stage than either the HD600/650.
Easily a +1 on the sound stage of the HD700 compared to the HD600/650. HD700 was much better in that respect from the brief test I had of them. I hope to someday get a pair for a more extended trial, but that's way down the road.

Jun 20, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #18,339 of 23,425
Jun 20, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #18,340 of 23,425
Plenty of people have done the mod removing foam and I'm sure you could find that sort of label with relatively little effort. But my question to the more experienced people would be what the heck they mean by adding lead. Like, as in they put lead tape into the baffle?

Well with the exchange rate from Canada it would be cheaper buying from them with a super nice looking cable, looks to be great quality as well.

Jun 20, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #18,341 of 23,425
Well with the exchange rate from Canada it would be cheaper buying from them with a super nice looking cable, looks to be great quality as well.
Oh, I wasn't really commenting regarding value. Sorry if it seemed that way. Mainly, I was wondering what the whole lead thing is about. Because I know of the foam mod, but never heard anything regarding using lead.

Jun 20, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #18,342 of 23,425
Oh, I wasn't really commenting regarding value. Sorry if it seemed that way. Mainly, I was wondering what the whole lead thing is about. Because I know of the foam mod, but never heard anything regarding using lead.

They stated it improves the bass over traditional mass loading but dont have any graphs or reviews :frowning2:

I find it hard to believe they advertise these with no review.

Jun 21, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #18,343 of 23,425

Lead tape is the same thing that came to my mind, like the tape that I used to put on the golf clubs before they came out with all the screw-in weights. I think its like the dynamat mod since the dynamat does clean up the bass so it can handle EQ better on the low end. Its what I do with my Grado and other clone builds, looks like this:
Red-V2 - Prototype-2.jpg
You can see the dynamat that was added to the driver on the left, the black goop on the magnet is from the factory, its like putting sorbothane on the magnet.

RS2e_danish wood oil on one-2.jpgSennGrado-inside-2a.jpg
You can see the dynamat in the cups in these 2 picture.

If I can find some leftover lead tape I think I'll try them in the cups and on the back of drivers to see if it changes anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back