Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Apr 18, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #1,276 of 2,005

The Ragnarok has the same rated power output as the Marantz, so it won't give you more sonic volume, yet due to the power output circuit (circlotron) it may provide greater sonic clarity. I found that Rag seemed, compared to the amp it replaced (Parasound A 21), to have a better "grip" on the speakers, along with improved clarity.

And the Ragnarok is said to be excellent with headphones, so it will serve double duty. I hope this is helpful.

Well said.  The better "grip" and clarity is what I immediately noticed when moving to this amp.

Apr 21, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #1,277 of 2,005
Is there any standard to follow when choosing the Gain output for speakers?
I have a pair of Wharfedale Jade 3, rated at 6 ohm and 86db sensitivity.

Apr 21, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #1,278 of 2,005
  Is there any standard to follow when choosing the Gain output for speakers?
I have a pair of Wharfedale Jade 3, rated at 6 ohm and 86db sensitivity.

Any standard would have to factor in the size of your room and how loud you will be playing your speakers. The recommended amplification for your speakers, according to Stereophile, is 30-150 watts.

The Rag would provide, roughly 80 watts to your Jade 3s.

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #1,279 of 2,005

Any standard would have to factor in the size of your room and how loud you will be playing your speakers. The recommended amplification for your speakers, according to Stereophile, is 30-150 watts.

The Rag would provide, roughly 80 watts to your Jade 3s.

For now I keep it on Mid gain, it sounds the best for both Speakers and Headphones. I just wanted to make sure I'm not putting any unnecessary stress on my equipment.

So has anyone successfully scrambled some eggs and fried bacon on this thing? Post some pics! Mine runs very hot even in headphone only mode.

Apr 25, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #1,280 of 2,005
The Rok runs the 1st 4 watts/ch, in class A.
Which is where the heat (well most of it) comes from.
Which in turn means your headphones will always be operating in class A mode, that is unless you need more than 4 watts/ch to drive them, which would be very uncommon.

JJ

May 9, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #1,281 of 2,005
Hey, has anyone experienced any problems with the volume knob falling off? It seems often I have tightening the little screw to make it stay on.

May 9, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #1,282 of 2,005
I have the exact opposite situation.
The set screw is 'locked' in place and won't back out.

If it keeps loosening up I'd dab a bit of lock-tite on the screw.
BUT only if the set screw doesn't keep going in deeper each time it's tightened.

I think the shaft the the knob 'bites into' is plastic and so it is boring a hole into the shaft as it is re-tightened over and over.
This might be a problem down the road in that the knob will wobble more and more as the set screw wiggles and digs a larger and larger hole in the shaft.

Another alternative is to contact Schiit and see what they say.

JJ

May 14, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #1,283 of 2,005
Hey! Not a lot of activity here? Does anyone have any esperience with the raggy and hifiman he1000 planars?

May 15, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #1,284 of 2,005
Plenty of activity here. Nearly daily 3 years after releasing. I have only done a couple of short (~hrish) listenings with the HE1000's. I find the pairing to be a little on the bright side for my tastes but there is an ass load of detail and an incredibly wide soundstage.

May 15, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #1,285 of 2,005
My 2¢
As a general rule with hi-end gear, assuming the gear is operating 'properly', SS amps shouldn't add color nor contribute to FR shifts.
Tube amps shouldn't either but tubes are a variable that is difficult to determine other than thru listening.

If you heard a FR that was not to your liking, I'd 1st investigate the rest of the playback chain before The Rok amp.

JJ

May 16, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #1,286 of 2,005
Heard the HE1k and Rag at can jam socal. It's a great pairing! I'm still on the fence about the he1k, but I can't criticize the Rag's driving of it.

May 19, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #1,287 of 2,005
Ragnarok regarding hum: recently a friend of mine has had the Ragnarok and was very pleased with its sound. However he had hum with the Ragnarok when turned on, clearly audible in a living room with a running pc...14 feet away from the ragnarok. Schiit USA Support told him not normal, Schiit-Europe says the Ragnarok is very very silent and works ok. Because of the unsatisfactory situation
he resigned from the purchase.
to make it short: is the Ragnarok dead silent when operating? Or do i have to expect hum with the device?

thanks

May 19, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #1,288 of 2,005
Hum is usually a product of the setup of the system and not the result of any particular piece of gear.

No manufacturer would want to deal with those sorts of headaches, at least if they wanted to stay in business.

JJ

May 19, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #1,289 of 2,005
Hum is usually a product of the setup of the system and not the result of any particular piece of gear.

No manufacturer would want to deal with those sorts of headaches, at least if they wanted to stay in business.

JJ

hum did happen when Ragnarok was connected to different outlets in different locations. no other cable like speaker or xlr was connected....same hum when fully integrated into system...so nothing to do with setup of the system. The Ragnarok hums out itself. again: the ragnarok should be dead silent?
thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back