Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
May 27, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #4,516 of 6,469
I will say this though. I enjoy the Jot as a Pre-Amp! I connect the Mojo to my PC via Optical. Then I've tried connecting that to my Active-X over and it sounds good. I've then tried running the Mojo into the Jot and then out to the Active X-over, and my speakers sound "thicker" and fuller than directly through the Mojo alone. So, there is something being added by the Jot, and what it does add... I like.

May 28, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #4,517 of 6,469
I have been using the Jot+DAC with HD6XX for several months now almost everyday, and I have come to the conclusion that it is not bright at all. When I heard it at the CANJAM, I thought it was distinctively bright, but after hearing it at home, it sounds quite pleasant. My points of reference are mainly the HD6XX, Audeze Sine and HD598. All three sound great, although the Sine and 598 sound brighter, because they are brighter than the 650. With Sine, I hear more resolution than the 650. With 650, I get a bigger stage and more bass. I have absolutely no issues with the midrange or the vocals. In fact I think the vocals sound quite seductive through the 6xx and the Jot. Just today I was listening to the "World's greatest audiophile vocal recordings" album from HDtracks, and it sounds awesome. Any kind of vocal sounds great ... Diana Krall, Tony Bennett, Phill Collins, Norah Jones.

I am yet to hear any critical comparison between the internal DAC vs Mimby. People here keep on saying how great the Mimby is compared to the Jot DAC, but how, where, in which aspects? Without any objective comparison, it really doesn't help new people to decide anything.

May 28, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #4,518 of 6,469
Most people who have the Mimby did not order the Jotunheim with the DAC, as they probably had the Mimby already. I bought both the Mimby and Jot on release day, and since the Mimby came out before, I didn't feel the need to add a second (most likely inferior IMO) DAC to my desktop.

May 28, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #4,519 of 6,469
That's definitely understandable. I have read statements like, the interior DAC is the limiting factor to this otherwise great amp. I wonder how much of this is speculation though. Honestly, I have nothing yet to complain about the internal DAC, but definitely curious to try out a multibit DAC. But without any objective input, it is hard to justify paying for yet another purchase.

P.s. I have the same setup, Miccas with the SA-50. Jot as pre-amp works quite well.

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #4,520 of 6,469
Jot is really good. I would say it has better technicalities than Zana Deux, $2400 amp, and is also has better tone than Liquid Carbon. Most headphones are voiced to be bright, either with not enough bass or skewed mids/treble. Use Jot as a preamp for speakers and it's almost invisible.

May 28, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #4,521 of 6,469
I would describe the Jot as being neutral, detailed and very revealing. I too bought amp only since I already had a Bimby. They are a great combination...

May 28, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #4,522 of 6,469
While you can use another DAC that might be a bit warmer I don't think the price would be worth it and its easier to sell the Jot and move on to another amp that you are not trying to fix issues with.

Not a good answer to say get different headphones (I do have a HD650 and had a HD600 BTW) but @Chrismust felt that even with the HD650 the Jot was too bright. Its hard to consider the Jot a good amp if it doesn't pair with many headphones due to being too bright, there are cheaper amps that do pair well with the HD800 and HD700.

Didn't say that. The HD800s are not a good choice with the JOT. They have some upper frequency range weirdness going on. The HD700 are unlistenable..

May 28, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #4,523 of 6,469
I am yet to hear any critical comparison between the internal DAC vs Mimby. People here keep on saying how great the Mimby is compared to the Jot DAC, but how, where, in which aspects? Without any objective comparison, it really doesn't help new people to decide anything.

That’s a very good point. Unless someone sets up a level matched and instantaneously switchable A/B comparison - it’s difficult to trust any perceptions they’re feeling...

May 28, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #4,524 of 6,469
Didn't say that. The HD800s are not a good choice with the JOT. They have some upper frequency range weirdness going on. The HD700 are unlistenable..
Why are you defending the Jot by making exceptions? The Jot is not a bad amp but it depends on the headphones that one has, the individuals hearing, preferred genre, and many other factors. Many use the HD800 as a reference and how it pairs with any amp would be something to consider IMO since almost everyone at one point or another ask "what's a good amp for the HD800?"

The HD700 may be unlistenable to you but to others its better than the HD800 in some ways.

May 28, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #4,525 of 6,469
Good morning
Current configuration is Magni 2 uber with Modi 2. Using Jot ( no DAC) for HT which is overkill. What I'm going to do is swap the Jot to my PC and pair with Modi 2.

My cans are HD 650's and soon to arrive THX-00 PH's.

I'm currently using the Mahagony but I'm not digging the sound hence the return to Massdrop. I believe there's something wrong with these cans as there's hardly any bass. Hell, my DFR on a pair of Sony MDR-1A's (IP6S) kill over my Fostex on the PC.
My source material is preogressive metal, Djent, hard rock, progressive jazz, etc.

What I'm reading is the Jot with this DAC may not be a good pairing with my Fostex because it'll probably be too bright. I'm sensitive to extreme treble too but should be OK for the 650's.

I'm keeping the Jot and going to swap out the DAC since I didn't get the onboard DAC with the Jot and sell the M2.

Am I on the right track here? If so, what DAC would be a good pairing for the Fostex as hopefully they'll be my go to HP's?
Also, I'm a near bass-head (well....prob so) and don't want to lose the low end.
Any suggestions would be immensely appreciated.
Thank guys!...... Greg

May 28, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #4,526 of 6,469
Good morning
Current configuration is Magni 2 uber with Modi 2. Using Jot ( no DAC) for HT which is overkill. What I'm going to do is swap the Jot to my PC and pair with Modi 2.

My cans are HD 650's and soon to arrive THX-00 PH's.

I'm currently using the Mahagony but I'm not digging the sound hence the return to Massdrop. I believe there's something wrong with these cans as there's hardly any bass. Hell, my DFR on a pair of Sony MDR-1A's (IP6S) kill over my Fostex on the PC.
My source material is preogressive metal, Djent, hard rock, progressive jazz, etc.

What I'm reading is the Jot with this DAC may not be a good pairing with my Fostex because it'll probably be too bright. I'm sensitive to extreme treble too but should be OK for the 650's.

I'm keeping the Jot and going to swap out the DAC since I didn't get the onboard DAC with the Jot and sell the M2.

Am I on the right track here? If so, what DAC would be a good pairing for the Fostex as hopefully they'll be my go to HP's?
Also, I'm a near bass-head (well....prob so) and don't want to lose the low end.
Any suggestions would be immensely appreciated.
Thank guys!...... Greg

Interesting, for me the Jot with the TH-X00 Mahogany have the most pronounced bass of any of my headphones...

May 28, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #4,527 of 6,469
Why are you defending the Jot by making exceptions? The Jot is not a bad amp but it depends on the headphones that one has, the individuals hearing, preferred genre, and many other factors. Many use the HD800 as a reference and how it pairs with any amp would be something to consider IMO since almost everyone at one point or another ask "what's a good amp for the HD800?"
The HD700 may be unlistenable to you but to others its better than the HD800 in some ways.

The JOT does not pair well with the HD800. Some Amps/Heaphones don't pair well.
The HD800 can be a reference for some, but it has some issues. With the right amp and some modification(s) the HD800 can shine.
The HD700 on the other hand ...

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #4,528 of 6,469
Personally I prefer the HD700 with my Lyr and a good set of tubes over the HD700 and the Jot...

May 28, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #4,530 of 6,469
Interesting, for me the Jot with the TH-X00 Mahogany have the most pronounced bass of any of my headphones...

Please don't forget what I stated, I haven't paired them up yet as I'm using the Mahogany with the Magni uber and Modi 2. I'll be using the purplehearts with the Jot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back