Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jun 4, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #4,367 of 7,049
Can't speak about Gumby - hopefully will be able to soon. In the meantime I can say this works wonders on Bimby and entirely by-passes USB:
Works on Gumby also

Jun 4, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #4,368 of 7,049
As my flacs files were ripped from my 300+ CDs, I connected my CD player via coax to Yggy.... and yeah this is it. Much better. :)

So for convenience, I've my PC and CD player connected to Yggy and I have 2 sources to choose from.

Next to try Yggy in the main stereo system.... but not before I've clocked 100 days.

Jun 4, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #4,369 of 7,049
Received my Gustard U12 earlier today, gotta love Amazon Sunday delivery!

I got things connected and just let a playlist run for about 3 hours before sitting down for a listen. Up to now my digital feed was an iMac->AQ Jitterbug->Cardas Clear USB->Gumby. Now after the Cardas Clear its a Gustard U12->AQ Cinnamon SPDIF digital coax->Gumby.

So I am not the best at describing these things but everything just seems more clear. As much as I hate the saying, a slight veil has been lifted. One that I never knew was there until now.

The biggest difference so far though is the low level detail retrieval, I can really listen deep into my favorite recordings now.

Jun 17, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #4,370 of 7,049
Those of you who own the Gugnir, would this DAC along with the Mjolnr 2 be overkill with the HE-400I & the Nightowl Carbon?

Jun 18, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #4,372 of 7,049
Absolutely not. It is a beautiful and capable pairing of DAC and Amp. It will serve your present and future headphones!

Thanks for your response!

Jun 18, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #4,373 of 7,049
I didn't think overkill was a concept in this hobby :wink:

Jun 30, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #4,375 of 7,049
I have had my Gumby for almost exactly 2 months now. I have been noticing over the last few days that it's become less forward(?).

The soundstage has receded into the front wall in a very interesting way. I did move my speakers around some but I don't think that can account for the effect I'm hearing. I'm listening to Bach Cello Suites and the instrument seems to be embedded a foot into the wall.

Jun 30, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #4,376 of 7,049
I have had my Gumby for almost exactly 2 months now. I have been noticing over the last few days that it's become less forward(?).

The soundstage has receded into the front wall in a very interesting way. I did move my speakers around some but I don't think that can account for the effect I'm hearing. I'm listening to Bach Cello Suites and the instrument seems to be embedded a foot into the wall.
Do you leave your Gumby on 24/7? If not, start doing that. If so, flip it off and on, it's rare but sometimes they bug out a little bit and need to be reset. If that doesn't do it, it's most likely an odd room effect from moving your speakers. The character of the Gumby doesn't shift around after it's been on for 24 hours or so.

Jul 1, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #4,377 of 7,049
Do you leave your Gumby on 24/7? If not, start doing that. If so, flip it off and on, it's rare but sometimes they bug out a little bit and need to be reset. If that doesn't do it, it's most likely an odd room effect from moving your speakers. The character of the Gumby doesn't shift around after it's been on for 24 hours or so.
I do leave the Gumby on 24/7 and the effect I described isn't unpleasant. I rather like it, actually. It adds a bit of depth to the soundstage. Not a lot, mind, just enough to be auditorily interesting as the sound seems to originate from just behind my center speakers.

IME, the Gumby, brand new, did change some after 24 hours, as I described earlier in this thread.

Jul 6, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #4,378 of 7,049
Hooked my Gumby up to my new Mjolnir 2. It really is a wonderful combination. Had been using a Bimby.

This goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway, the Gumby really is a great DAC. It has an ease and naturalness that the Bimby can lack. And it seems to be less picky of source material.

Jul 6, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #4,379 of 7,049
I do leave the Gumby on 24/7 and the effect I described isn't unpleasant. I rather like it, actually. It adds a bit of depth to the soundstage. Not a lot, mind, just enough to be auditorily interesting as the sound seems to originate from just behind my center speakers.

IME, the Gumby, brand new, did change some after 24 hours, as I described earlier in this thread.

I noticed the Gumby change over a period of weeks. Granted, the most dramatic changes happen at the beginning and then become more subtle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back