Schiit Gungnir DAC
Aug 22, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #2,071 of 7,123
Hello here are my first impressions of the Gungnir Multibit, after 18 hours of warm up. The GMB sounds very nice, though not as detailed or resolute as the Yggy. The bass is nice, its just not as detailed or textured as the Yggy. Likewise the mids are smooth as lush, very musical, just not as detailed and revealing as the Yggy. The highs sound very nice, yet again not at detailed as the Yggy. The soundstage is nice but not as large, nor detailed as the Yggy, thus not as holographic. I feel the GMB is a good dac that has a lush, musical sound, and it should compliment the Liquid Carbon. I used the HE1K and the Ether, for my initial impressions and they both sounded fantastic through the GMB and Rag.

Aug 22, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #2,072 of 7,123
Hello here are my first impressions of the Gungnir Multibit, after 18 hours of warm up. The GMB sounds very nice, though not as detailed or resolute as the Yggy. The bass is nice, its just not as detailed or textured as the Yggy. Likewise the mids are smooth as lush, very musical, just not as detailed and revealing as the Yggy. The highs sound very nice, yet again not at detailed as the Yggy. The soundstage is nice but not as large, nor detailed as the Yggy, thus not as holographic. I feel the GMB is a good dac that has a lush, musical sound, and it should compliment the Liquid Carbon. I used the HE1K and the Ether, for my initial impressions and they both sounded fantastic through the GMB and Rag.

Thank you kindly sir! I appreciate that you've got a rare combo and many people here are looking for impressions to help make their decision between the two. I have few questions:

*Can the yggy be used on the desktop or is it rack only? (the gun fits on my desk by barely)

*Are there any perceived differences in sound staging width or depth?

*What hp's are you testing with?

*Ultimately do you feel the extra cash is justified if you've got it to spend?

*Which dac does your cat prefer? 
wink.gif

Aug 22, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #2,074 of 7,123
If you look in System Information (click on the Apple logo on the upper left corner, select About This Mac, and then click on System Report in the window that pops up), click on USB in the left column in the Hardware section, can you find the Gungnir or more likely some kind of unrecognized USB device in the USB tree on the right column?

Again, nothing.

Guess I'll return it and see what Schiit says.

Aug 22, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #2,075 of 7,123
Thank you kindly sir! I appreciate that you've got a rare combo and many people here are looking for impressions to help make their decision between the two. I have few questions:

*Can the yggy be used on the desktop or is it rack only? (the gun fits on my desk by barely)

*Are there any perceived differences in sound staging width or depth?

*What hp's are you testing with?

*Ultimately do you feel the extra cash is justified if you've got it to spend?

*Which dac does your cat prefer? :wink:  

I think its best to use the Yggdrasil on a rack, it big and bulky, and will eat your desktop space.
The sound staging on the Yggy is both wider and deeper, thus it has a better three-dimensional holographic soundstage. I think this is do to the Yggy's ability to be more detailed and revealing. I really like the yggy for it detail and what not, however the Gungnir Multibit is a great buy, it sounds very nice, the overall sound signature is smooth and lush. If one has the cash, go for the Yggy, but the GMB is a fine alternative, if one once to spend the money towards better cans.
P.s my cat prefers a warm Ragnarock to sleep upon. But my cat mostly sleeps on my stuff during winter. I hope everyone has a great day jamming out.

Aug 22, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #2,076 of 7,123

This is an issue more an issue with Windows 10. The Gungnir and Gungnir Multi-Bit use the same USB card and same drivers.

If you are looking for a painless system I would recommend against Windows 10. It's too new and is so far not 100% reliable.

I agree completely, this seems pretty self-evident to me.  There's an old rule of thumb when deciding whether or not to upgrade your OS:  if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I will keep my win 7 then 
smile.gif

Yup, Windows 7 is the best Windows OS Microsoft has ever made.  I'll "upgrade" once people stop making drivers for it.

Aug 22, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #2,078 of 7,123
Is the Gungnir Multibit a NOS (non over sampling) no upsampling bit perfect DAC like the Yggdrasil?

The Yggy and the GMB both do 8x oversampling as I understand it.

Aug 22, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #2,079 of 7,123
Aug 23, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #2,080 of 7,123
Hey guys,

I just placed my order to upgrade my Gungnir to GMB.

I was wondering should I also place an order for an upgrade to "USB GEN 2"? I am currently using "optical spdif" and would like to know if "USB GEN 2" will make any difference.

Aug 23, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #2,081 of 7,123
  Hey guys,

I just placed my order to upgrade my Gungnir to GMB.

I was wondering should I also place an order for an upgrade to "USB GEN 2"? I am currently using "optical spdif" and would like to know if "USB GEN 2" will make any difference.

When I had the original gungnir with the first iteration of usb, I used optical. The original usb implementation did not compete with optical IMO. When usb gen 2 upgrades came out to good reviews, I decided to give it a try. Now I'd never go back to optical. It was an appreciable upgrade. 

FWIW, the GMB needs 24 not 12 hours of warm up IMO. 

Aug 23, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #2,083 of 7,123
Two Questions:

1. Would the Gungnir MB benefit from the addition of a Wyrd into the chain?
2. Has anyone compared the MB against the Chord 2Qute? $1250 vs. $1800... $550.00 is not a lot for for the build quality, brand reputation, etc. of a Chord product, IMO. We also know which one would better hold resale value. But what about SQ?

Aug 23, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #2,084 of 7,123
  Two Questions:

1. Would the Gungnir MB benefit from the addition of a Wyrd into the chain?
2. Has anyone compared the MB against the Chord 2Qute? $1250 vs. $1800... $550.00 is not a lot for for the build quality, brand reputation, etc. of a Chord product, IMO. We also know which one would better hold resale value. But what about SQ?

I would also like to know this.

Aug 23, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #2,085 of 7,123

Users who are viewing this thread

Back