Prog rock
May 10, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #1,321 of 4,432
New song from the upcoming album!
"The Final Cut" anyone? No surprises from Roger, that's good.

Last edited:
May 11, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #1,322 of 4,432
We have an album title / cover / track list / release date

ABOUT "TO THE BONE"

“My fifth record is in many ways inspired by the hugely ambitious progressive pop records that I loved in my youth (think Peter Gabriel’s So, Kate Bush’s Hounds of Love, Talk Talk’s Colour of Spring and Tears for Fears’ Seeds of Love).

Lyrically, the album’s eleven tracks veer from the paranoid chaos of the current era in which truth can apparently be a flexible notion, observations of the everyday lives of refugees, terrorists and religious fundamentalists, and a welcome shot of some of the most joyous wide-eyed escapism I’ve created in my career so far. Something for all the family!” – Steven Wilson

1. To The Bone (6.41)
2. Nowhere Now (4.04)
3. Pariah (4.44)
4. The Same Asylum As Before (5.14)
5. Refuge (6.42)
6. Permanating (3.35)
7. Blank Tapes (2.09)
8. People Who Eat Darkness (6.03)
9. Song of I (5.22)
10. Detonation (9.20)
11. Song of Unborn (5.56)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bone-Steven-Wilson/dp/B072HR5LTT/
http://stevenwilsonhq.com/

ToTheBone_digitalCover-Medium-300x300.jpg

Last edited:
May 11, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #1,323 of 4,432
Hmm, searched for Klaatu, but nothing came up.

Klaatu - Hope has to be in my list of very favorite prog albums of all time, and it's without a doubt one of the best concept albums ever made. Period.

You might know of their history, and how they were sensationalized:
The band is also remembered internationally for rumors that they were the Beatles recording under a pseudonym. Klaatu themselves did not start these rumors and always flatly denied them, and indeed no Beatle was ever involved in the writing, recording or production of any Klaatu material.
.. More information/tidbits at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaatu_(band)#First_three_LPs

Unrelated, but related in the end: came in contact with Sebastian Hardie for the first time this week, which somehow reminded me, especially the tracks "Rosanna" and "Openings" from their Four Moments, like a mesh of Novalis meeting Camel with Akkermanesque guitar flow. It's odd how they sound like bands from such different countries and styles.

But anyways, some part of my brain reminded me of Klaatu, and especially their orchestral version of Hope.
And holy cow, I don't think I had heard this before with my LCD-X.
Couldn't be more awestruck.
A highly recommended listen.
And yeah, the orchestral version begins in a box set, middle of a CD, track 11, "We're Off You Know" (orchestral), in a similar vein as the original "Hope", with just one added track, "Epilogue" between two final tracks.

If nothing else, give this one a go:

17th track: Klaatu - "So Said the Lighthouse Keeper" (orchestral)

May 12, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #1,324 of 4,432
Why didn't I see this thread before ?
This is heaven.
Progressive rock has been my main "food" for about 15 years, although I enjoy all types of music.
I can't even start listing every prog band that are in my DAP, but lately I've been fooling around Steven Wilson quite a lot.

May 19, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #1,329 of 4,432
The new Bjorn Riis is now on Spotify and Tidal (Highly recommended)

KAR126CD_Digital_Front_Cover-e1490215402120.jpg

Oh!

30 seconds in, and I'm SOLD. This could be on heavy rotation this weekend. Thanks!

May 19, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #1,332 of 4,432
May 19, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #1,333 of 4,432
We have an album title / cover / track list / release date

ABOUT "TO THE BONE"

“My fifth record is in many ways inspired by the hugely ambitious progressive pop records that I loved in my youth (think Peter Gabriel’s So, Kate Bush’s Hounds of Love, Talk Talk’s Colour of Spring and Tears for Fears’ Seeds of Love).

Funny, I've been listening to a playlist all week of albums from the 80s that I stopped listening to for years because I got sick of them or felt they were too mainstream, but am now re-listening, trying to strip away cultural prejudices and just listen to them for their sound. Also in the playlist, Steely Dan, The Blue Nile, Dire Straits, Genesis, Fleetwood Mac, King Crimson, Phil Collins, Donald Fagen, Roxy Music, Robert Plant, XTC, IQ, Marillion, Sade, Sting, Dead Can Dance and Prefab Sprout.

May 23, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #1,334 of 4,432

Funny, I've been listening to a playlist all week of albums from the 80s that I stopped listening to for years because I got sick of them or felt they were too mainstream, but am now re-listening, trying to strip away cultural prejudices and just listen to them for their sound. Also in the playlist, Steely Dan, The Blue Nile, Dire Straits, Genesis, Fleetwood Mac, King Crimson, Phil Collins, Donald Fagen, Roxy Music, Robert Plant, XTC, IQ, Marillion, Sade, Sting, Dead Can Dance and Prefab Sprout.

Yeah, I keep coming back to the 80s often. Re-listened to The Blue Nile, Roxy Music / B. Ferry, Marillion recently. Check out the daily playlist at the bottom of the page: http://stevenwilsonhq.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back