[ortho transplant]: T50rp drivers into V-Moda Crossfade (lots of pictures)
Jun 1, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #62 of 88
Huh interesting. Yeah if there's extra material there in front of the driver, I'd take out the felt under the pad otherwise you might be attenuating too much. It's all up to personal taste though. 

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #64 of 88
Hi all, I've just joined the V-Modex club by taking over Maxx134's. I wonder if it's the very same one from the one on the 1st page. This is my first ortho I've ever owned and may need to borrow my friends' T50RP to do a side-by-side comparison.

Otherwise, still trying to get used to the sound (coming from a M-100/TH-900/SR-009).

Jun 2, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #65 of 88
Yep, that should be the first of only two in existence. The second was further modded with velour pads and I drilled an extra hole into the cups (which can be covered by the shield). 

I think it'd be a reasonably fair comparison vs a regular T50rp and M-100 (I'm personally not a fan of the latter; I vastly prefer the M80). Maybe not so much a fair comparison vs the TH-900 and SR-009 
size]

Jun 2, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #66 of 88
Cheers. How does the extra hole in the cups help? Note that in my thoughts, I hope you'll say "improve soundstage" (but not at the cost of bass). Do you have any pix of the extra hole you drilled?

Awesome work BTW. Thank you.

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #67 of 88
Hmm sounds to me like you are perfecting them :)

Yep, that should be the first of only two in existence. The second was further modded with velour pads and I drilled an extra hole into the cups (which can be covered by the shield). 

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #68 of 88
The extra hole increases bass slightly, but doesn't do much for soundstage I'm afraid. I didn't take any pics of the second build, but the hole was located just slightly above centre of the cups, which would make it roughly centre relative to the driver. In yours there's a single piece of foam across the back of the cup through, so you wouldn't be able to drill through without pulling the hole in the foam as well. In the second build I merely split the foam into two halves.

I think the limitations to the soundstage are inherent to just the size of the cups. The outer edges of the cups literally make contact with the edge of the drivers, so the only cup space is due to the angle of the cups themselves. In that, I put in the foam and some damping just to cut out the treble reflections. 

One thing you can try is to take out the piece of felt that's under the pad. I'm particularly sensitive to treble so I almost always use something as a filter. Taking that out should bring up the top end and possibly add to the sense of space. 

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #69 of 88
The further this thread goes the more excited I am about getting the money to hopefully do this with my LP2s.

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #70 of 88
I'd like to try this with a M-100 some day, but I don't see the price on those coming down anytime soon. 

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #71 of 88
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/368310-REG/Garfield_SGARHS1_Headphone_Softie_Earpad.html + wire wrapped on the inside to keep the softie taut against the driver screen + copious amounts of loctite fabric/vinyl glue along the rim. It's a pretty simple mod.

use circular objects and insert them into the pads overnight and keep increasing the width every 2 days and you can stretch the pads to almost double the size. look at my pics you can see the pads in my pics are almost completely circular with insane amounts of room.

Jun 4, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #72 of 88
Hey Rudeboy, I added a link to your thread in the second post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/639534/vmoda-lp2-w-velour-mod-bossss

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #73 of 88
There's a Crossfade in my local classifieds and I'm looking at it thinking "hmm, I could make another one"... 

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #75 of 88
Quote:
One thing you can try is to take out the piece of felt that's under the pad. I'm particularly sensitive to treble so I almost always use something as a filter. Taking that out should bring up the top end and possibly add to the sense of space. 

Sorry for the very late reply. Do you mean that white pad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back