ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
May 19, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #14,476 of 16,326
Onkyo has stated (customer service replies) that the only way to get high res (i.e. using both DACs) is to use the Onkyo Music app. Any 3rd party music apps (that they are aware of) has to go through the Android audio system. Apparently, somehow, that prevents them from direct access to both DACs.

A couple of month ago, I tried to hear differences between the Onkyo Music app and UAPP, while playing 24-Bit / 192-KHz files - and reported the results - https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/o...d-256-android-5.780642/page-875#post-13195157

May 19, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #14,477 of 16,326
Hi, anyone can get X-plore app (file manager on android) to gain write access to sd card? I want to delete some file from the DP-X1A but I am not able to get write access by following the insturction on the app

If you're trying to access any part of the System file structure, you'll probably need to root your device (there are rooting instruction posts strewn about in various places, over the last year of this thread).

May 19, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #14,479 of 16,326
May 19, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #14,480 of 16,326
I see, thanks. Perhaps I need to buy UAPP for a test
The reason I use Neutron is because it can display lyrics LRC. Do you know if UAPP support it?

I've not looked in to lyrics support, since I usually play music with the screen off, on all my DAPs.
But, looking at the Google Play Store download page, I don't see lyrics support in the list of current features - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro
There is a contact email address shown, where you could ask if it's a future feature.

May 20, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #14,481 of 16,326
I would be really happy about an update allowing to disable charging of headphones connected by USB to the DAP. Because, this is truely a no-go . But, believe me, such an update will never come. And for sure, Onkyo won't give us an Android update to reduce battery drain. The H/W is sold, and every single manufacturer will stop developing any new models if they don't sell enouh .

Help yourself :wink:. Maybe I solved this issue by myself. Just used a small piece of paper to block PIN 1 (power) of the type A plug end of the headphones' cable.
Headphones are detected by the DAP. And... playback without charging :).
For my DAP/headphones combination I must say USB audio sounds slightly better than single-ended analogue.
So, currently I don't use any of the DAP's two DACs/Amps plus no headphones charging. Will see how it effects battery drain..

Last edited:
May 20, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #14,482 of 16,326
OK - I've been looping on various HD audio tracks of the Chesky - Ultimate Headphone Demonstration disc (24-Bit, 192-KHz), using both the "stock" Onkyo Music Player, and the USB Audio Player Pro apps (No EQ being used). Both apps indicate that the files are, indeed, 24-Bit & 192-KHz, however UAPP shows Andriod: 96-KHz when the Android Sample Rate is set to Variable. Even with the apparent sample rate difference, I'm just not hearing any audible differences - listening to my LZ A4 earphones (Black backs, Blue Nozzles), on a custom Impact Audio Cables balanced 2.5mm TRRS to MMCX cable, and the DP-X1 set to Balanced & AGC.

Others may be able to hear a difference, but I guess for my 56-year old ears - either the Onkyo Music Player, or UAPP, will work just fine - even for HD audio tracks.
ksc75smile.gif

Take Care,
David Baldock

Just get the UAPP app
played an 24/96 FLAC the difference between Device Native Sample Rate (resampled to 48) and Variable rate (96) is very obvious

Edit: More interesting, when Variable rate is on, played a 24/96 flac, then play DSD64, the DSD can maintain at 88.2, but if I stop the playing and play again, the DSD will only played at 44.1 in this Variable rate....~.~

Last edited:
May 20, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #14,483 of 16,326
yes, they still can sound good... i don't mean the sound though for the driver limitation..but i mean that the full capabilities.

Again, i have to use V20 as comparison, because i use both devices and found some of interesting details in XDA forum (android forum for V20). Neutron can only output max to 48khz in v20 (it will downsample the audio). However LG's own player can output the audio to its max capabilities (and so do some others , like google play music and several others that XDA forumers found).

It might be or might not be the case with onkyo... But since both are using Sabre, it might be similar cases

do you know if the V10 DAC FIX app will work on X1?

May 20, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #14,487 of 16,326
Hi all!
Some cool stuff for Onkyo DP-X1 from me:

1) link to the most recent stock firmware (0.1.37.8_20161104.013642)
Enjoy.

anybody know if the existing TWRP will work on X1A? I saw it is for Rai_Zin but my board say it is Rai_Zin2
I want to try to root it to see if I can enable hi-res in poweramp

or should I just wait for them to get a proper release this month end?

Last edited:
May 21, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #14,488 of 16,326
Will it work with the B version?

I haven't heard that there's any difference in the digital sub-system, other than having 64GB (DP-X1A) of internal storage vs. 32GB (DP-X1B). Although the longer battery life could be due to some newer, lower powered versions of the digital chip-set.

The upgrades, which resulted in better sound quality, were in the analog sub-system - higher quality passive components, like capacitors.

So, I'd guess that the system firmware upgrade should work on either version of the DP-X1 - but I won't try it, until I know it doesn't affect rooting my device.

May 21, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #14,489 of 16,326
Just now, finally finished 966 pages reading....

I bet that's it. Thanks

By the way, the other day I posted a remark that the new Onkyo Music app update added an option to view the song lyrics, but I was unable to get it to work. Now, for some reason it has started to work. As I mentioned before you can paste the lyrics in an extended MP3 tag called UNSYNCEDLYRICS.
I don't know what changed between then and now, but now that works perfectly.

Do you get it work LRC moving on play, or just display the lyric on that tag? I tried that with no luck - the timestamp display as well

As for FTP, I only use the one with foobar2000 and it works fine, no need to install non-music ftp server for that

May 21, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #14,490 of 16,326
Just now, finally finished 966 pages reading....

Do you get it work LRC moving on play, or just display the lyric on that tag? I tried that with no luck - the timestamp display as well

As for FTP, I only use the one with foobar2000 and it works fine, no need to install non-music ftp server for that

I was not able to get LRC to work. I had a few albums with LRC files (created them for my old FiiO) and the DP-X1 ignored them. But, you can get lyrics to display in a MP3 file by pasting them in an extended tag called UNSYNCEDLYRICS. However, to display the lyrics, the Onkyo Music app just brings up a static text window. They don't scroll like the do with LRC files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back