Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
May 12, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #9,016 of 10,664
This thread has a report of the battery not fitting, but I'm not convinced. A Toshiba MK6028GAL commonly found in a thin IPC is spec'd at around 5mm thick. I measured my SD -> CF -> ZIF combo at 5.7mm. Would an extra 0.7mm prevent it from working with the 2000mAh battery?

It would be very helpful if someone could give actual measurements because there are different revisions of adapters with different thicknesses.

I don't have the actual measurements - but the old Tarkan iFlash with the "thick" CF-SD adapter and the 1900 mAh battery is a tight fight for thickness in a thick 5.5g iPod. The iPod closes, but is held against the clips (you can see the smallest of gaps between the faceplate and back.) The newer "thin" CF-SD adapters fit with room to spare, as do all the other SD/microSD boards I've used. I've put a 1900 mAh battery and a iFlash-Dual in a 6.6g thick for a friend - it had plenty of room and probably would have fit a thin back if I had one available.

In other news, I did a full charge-discharge-charge test on my personal iPods 1900 mAh battery. Came out to roughly 1800 mAh, which is about right given the imprecise equipment (I cobbled together a USB current load tester off ebay with a crappy voltmeter and then charging it through a crappy USB load monitor (also off ebay)) and the age of the battery (around 2 years in my custody now.) Now I want to order the other batteries (and dig out my original iPod battery) to test them...

May 13, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #9,017 of 10,664
Probably asking a question that's been asked several times. Found old ipod classic gen 7 in my desk drawer. Was thinking I'm going away on holiday soon and that I voted use this for my time away. How do I attach this to a headphone amp so not to double amp?

May 14, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #9,019 of 10,664
Whoops I don't have an ipod classic 7 it's an ipod 5 video. Any suggestion of a small cheap headphon amp I can pair with it?

May 14, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #9,020 of 10,664
Whoops I don't have an ipod classic 7 it's an ipod 5 video. Any suggestion of a small cheap headphon amp I can pair with it?
You should ask that question in a different thread, as this one is really about modifying iPods with flash/solid-state storage and the like. When you find the right thread you should try to define your budget for this amp, as "cheap" means different things to different people. Everyone's wallet is at least a little bit different, so what one person calls "cheap" another may find very significant in their grand scheme of things.

Last edited:
May 14, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #9,021 of 10,664
Is there a way to modify a gen 5.5 iPod for better audio out of the headphone port? Or is it really best to do the DiyMod and get the best audio through the dock connector?

May 14, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #9,022 of 10,664
I don't have the actual measurements - but the old Tarkan iFlash with the "thick" CF-SD adapter and the 1900 mAh battery is a tight fight for thickness in a thick 5.5g iPod. The iPod closes, but is held against the clips (you can see the smallest of gaps between the faceplate and back.) The newer "thin" CF-SD adapters fit with room to spare, as do all the other SD/microSD boards I've used. I've put a 1900 mAh battery and a iFlash-Dual in a 6.6g thick for a friend - it had plenty of room and probably would have fit a thin back if I had one available.

In other news, I did a full charge-discharge-charge test on my personal iPods 1900 mAh battery. Came out to roughly 1800 mAh, which is about right given the imprecise equipment (I cobbled together a USB current load tester off ebay with a ****ty voltmeter and then charging it through a ****ty USB load monitor (also off ebay)) and the age of the battery (around 2 years in my custody now.) Now I want to order the other batteries (and dig out my original iPod battery) to test them...
Thanks, good work. I ordered the 1900mAh battery in the end for $15 shipped. I've seen pictures of Tarkan's now discontinued SD->CF->ZIF combo and it looks thicker than the generic green/red Chinese combo which is only 5.7mm thick.

If one *really* wanted to see if the thicker 2000mAh battery could fit in this scenario, a dummy battery made out of some material with equal thickness could be placed in lieu of the real thing just to see if the case would close (and with this in mind, does anyone have the actual thickness in mm of the 2000mAh battery?). But ThinWalls could be right... The extra 0.7mm could really be a big deal here.

Either way, the 1900mAh is specified to fit with the original HDD, which is a lot thicker than the Chinese combo, so there's a certain degree of assuredness that it will be fine.

I really also should load the iPod to capacity with this set-up to allay any fears of incompatibility that ThinWalls brought up. The reason of my steadfastness in my claim that it works perfectly is because there was absolutely no quirkiness whatsoever at any time. Syncing worked flawlessly and I did not experience any intermittent failure whatsoever. It is also very fast.

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #9,024 of 10,664
I pulled out my ****ty digital caliper and the only remaining iPod HDD, which AFAIK came out of a 5.5g - it's 8mm thick, plush .3 mm for the ****ty foam padding. The old iFlash CF+SD is 6mm thick. (Measured with the same ****ty caliper.)

That would be the thicker double-platter drive though, no? 8mm thick drive, 5mm slim, IIRC.

I remain doubtful the larger battery will fit with a generic adaptor due to the thickness of the green zif board - as I recall the tall plastic plug for the cf or sd/cf to plug into is the problem.

But I do concede that it might in reality be possible for a 6th gen to work with the generic combo (sans larger battery, with 128gb or less) as I didn't spend much time at all trying to get that particular set-up to work, due need needing larger storage capacity anyway.

I wish dribgnikcom luck, and if he ever does upgrade to >128gb and by some chance it works, he should let us know.

May 15, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #9,025 of 10,664
I would like to be the second person to confirm that the generic red SD to CF adapter (not the generic green mSATA adapter) works with the generic green CF adapter for the iPod 6th gen.

So it does in fact support 48-bit LBA.

The 128GB SD card was $18, plus around $10 for both of these, so that's $30 total minus all the other bits and bobs (New battery, screen protector film).

I had it installed and working in 15 minutes or so.

With Tarkan, the "iFlash Solo" would have cost $33 alone. The packaging on the back of the generic SD to CF adapter also indicates that a 4 slot "TF" version is also available. So it would really give Tarkan's $42 iFlash quad a run for its money. (but so far I've only found the 2 slot TF adapter on AliExpress).

Thanks everyone for your help.

Could you please give a link to the $18 SD card? Sounds too good to pass the opportunity, even if it is a fake one *but* works.

May 15, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #9,026 of 10,664
Hi All
how to fix the PLAY button on the main logic board. I disassembled the ipod and need to clean the button membrane or any advice welcome
thanks

I've cleaned a couple of these in the past and also replaced a defective button that has lost its "click" with a button lifted from a dead logic board.

The membrane is just stuck onto the board. You can carefully lift it off together with the actual clicky button. Clean the contact on the board with pure alcohol (not "rubbing" alcohol). Use Sellotape to stick the membrane back into position. This can make the button a little too thick, so cut a hole in the tape where the domed part of the button is, particularly where the block dot is.

May 27, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #9,030 of 10,664
Hi All!
I have come across this thread after I bought and received the msata SSD, this is the one I got:
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/Gold...32688654768.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.BEtVdC

According to some info readed here, the drive is 3.3v so it shoud work, and it is less than 1amp, so, again it should work, considering that the EVO850 is way higher in amps, unfortunately, I also bought the chinesse green adapter and my iPod is a 6.5g 120GB thin one, any recomendations at this point? has anyone have succeded with a non-crucial nor EVO SSD on a 6.5g iPod?? are there any special tricks I need with this combo (6.5g ipod + Chinesse green adapter), other than a nice msata SSD?? Any specific way to format it to FAT32????

I have read a lot of pages from this thread, but come'on it is 602 long already by the time I finish reading all of it, apple will come out with the iPod retro and they will be back on the shelfs!!! :S

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back