Official ♦♦ Chord Hugo2 Canada/U.S.A. Tour ♦♦ Thread
Jul 23, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #166 of 265
i have an iSine 20 without the lightning cable. Meh (to me). After reading Tyll's review on Inner Fidelity, I now understand why. The iSine needs the lightning cable for DSP to make it sound good. I imaging the iSine out the Hugo will also sound meh, but a better meh :)

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #168 of 265
i have an iSine 20 without the lightning cable. Meh (to me). After reading Tyll's review on Inner Fidelity, I now understand why. The iSine needs the lightning cable for DSP to make it sound good. I imaging the iSine out the Hugo will also sound meh, but a better meh :)

Ahh i just saw your post lol.

But yes i agree i wouldnt reccommend it for Hugo 2, use something with better clarity.

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #169 of 265
I received my i4, but the Hugo2 was sent on its way to the next reviewer before I could test them together. With the DAVE the i4 is amazing (to me) and I'll absolutely have to try the Hugo2 with the i4 when it comes back my way before the unit goes back to Chord.

Jul 24, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #171 of 265
According to tour directions, I am invited to post impressions of the Hugo 2 here and a full review in the proper Equipment review section, with a link pointing to it in this thread.

I also plan to use my Grado PS-1000 headphones (or maybe the PS-1000e, as I have both) to compare the Hugo 2 to the Schiit Bifrost Uber Multibit USB and the Lotoo PAW Gold digital audio player, both of which, at various times, have been recommended to me by Grado Labs as best for Grado headphones.
I like what the H2 does with PS1000E, over the H1. I'll just say that I'm picking up my Grados a lot more; probably half n half with my Audezes. I'll be interested to read that section of your review, particularly.

Jul 24, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #172 of 265
I use the isine20 with a Forza cable and it took the treble harshness away. They are to me one of the best IEMs Ive heard, yes they can be source dependant.
I don't mean to hijack the tread, it the issue with the iSine 20 and a standard cable is no treble, not harsh treble. Read those review, what he describes is right on. Now if you like a very warm, very polite signature, the isine without DSP might work for you.

Jul 24, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #173 of 265
I don't mean to hijack the tread, it the issue with the iSine 20 and a standard cable is no treble, not harsh treble. Read those review, what he describes is right on. Now if you like a very warm, very polite signature, the isine without DSP might work for you.
I didnt have an issue with no treble there were issues with treble spikes and fatigue with the stock cable and Hugo2. I didnt read any review this is my personal experience with my isine20 and the tour Hugo2.

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #174 of 265
I like what the H2 does with PS1000E, over the H1. I'll just say that I'm picking up my Grados a lot more; probably half n half with my Audezes. I'll be interested to read that section of your review, particularly.
Got it... I will use the Grado PS1000e, rather than the Grado PS1000, in my comparison.

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #175 of 265
I have posted my review of the Hugo 2 per instructions in the appropriate "Equipment" section, here.

Here are some comparison tables that are elaborated upon in the review: As always, higher numbers are better. Go to the review for (LOTS) more details, including 14 physical differences between the Hugo 2 and the original Hugo.

Hugo 2 Hugo 1 iPod.jpg

Hugo 2 Lotoo Schiit.jpg

Blind Test Chart.jpg

Song Performance Chart.jpg

Jul 24, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #177 of 265
Interesting ruthieandjohn, some similar some not. the more distortion of ch1 is a benefit in the low end, ch2 has subtle better detail in the mid notes. Its to early and this is not my review in the least, but have it closer at this point, and darn, TT is still king.
Consider this a teaser with full breakdown after 20 or 30 or more hours of listening.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #178 of 265
Hey guys, my review is up too: https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/chord-hugo-2.22209/reviews#review-18928

Here is a teaser: "The reason that I wanted to be part of managing this tour was to be able to compare the brand new Hugo2 with my Calyx M and Sony WM1A DAPs to know that I was getting the most performance possible out of my CIEMs. Well…….the Hugo2 squashed them like bugs. Side by side, the SQ comparison wasn’t even close……… darn it. Now I have to rethink my mobile listening strategy."

Jul 26, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #179 of 265
Hey guys, my review is up too: https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/chord-hugo-2.22209/reviews#review-18928

Here is a teaser: "The reason that I wanted to be part of managing this tour was to be able to compare the brand new Hugo2 with my Calyx M and Sony WM1A DAPs to know that I was getting the most performance possible out of my CIEMs. Well…….the Hugo2 squashed them like bugs. Side by side, the SQ comparison wasn’t even close……… darn it. Now I have to rethink my mobile listening strategy."
Glad to hear it. My QP1R is great for my listening OTG when compared to Hugo1, in that I didn't mind leaving him at home. Now, after hearing Angies through Hugo2, I'm seriously awaiting the 2go to see if it'll be practical to use H2 as an OTG solution.
Looking forward to yours and @ruthieandjohn's review.

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #180 of 265
I actually have something interesting planned for the Hugo! I don't have a DAP with an acceptable digital line out, my HM901's coaxial... doesn't work some how? But I did get an iRiver h140 which feeds optical out, so I'm excited to see how it pairs with the Hugo! So I can listen on the go and at home

Users who are viewing this thread

Back