Official ♦♦ Chord Hugo2 Canada/U.S.A. Tour ♦♦ Thread
Jul 31, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #181 of 265
Aug 2, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #182 of 265
So some initial listening impressions of the Hugo vs the Coax into my NFB10ES2 and Optical into the NFB10ES2,

My only listening thus far has been Optical into the Hugo 2 from my iRiver H140 transport

Hugo 2 compared to the NFB10ES2 is quite a bit more narrow and shallow, doesn't image nearly as well

that's the BIGGEST difference I notice from my first listen of the two,

I should note that I am using Coax from the Etir into my NFB10ES2 and optical out of my iRiver H140 into the Hugo 2,

I also ran optical from the iRiver H140 into the NFB10ES2 and the Coax input is by far blacker and more resolved, the optical was a bit nosier and not as clearly defined, but still moving from Optical into Hugo2 to Optical into NFB10ES2 [with the same transport] the Hugo does provide a blacker background with optical in, but still falls short on the overall image and sound stage, so details pop just a little more with the Hugo 2 an Optical In but the overall image isn't as well defined, where as the NFB10ES2 with optical in is a touch nosier but images more clearly

For these impressions I volume matched each amp/dac with pink noise, and I used only the on-board components, namely the Built in Amp of each, I did use the Balanced out of my NFB10ES2 and the SE out of the Hugo 2, my next set of impressions will be running the Line out of each into my Pico Power Amp, I'll also be including the HM 901 in these impressions

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #183 of 265
So some initial listening impressions of the Hugo vs the Coax into my NFB10ES2 and Optical into the NFB10ES2,

My only listening thus far has been Optical into the Hugo 2 from my iRiver H140 transport

Hugo 2 compared to the NFB10ES2 is quite a bit more narrow and shallow, doesn't image nearly as well

I should note that I am using Coax from the Etir into my NFB10ES2 and optical out of my iRiver H140 into the Hugo 2,

I also ran optical from the iRiver H140 into the NFB10ES2 and the Coax input is by far blacker and more resolved, the optical was a bit nosier and not as clearly defined, but still moving from Optical into Hugo2 to Optical into NFB10ES2 [with the same transport] the Hugo does provide a blacker background with optical in, but still falls short on the overall image and sound stage, so details pop just a little more with the Hugo 2 an Optical In but the overall image isn't as well defined, where as the NFB10ES2 with optical in is a touch nosier but images more clearly

For these impressions I volume matched each amp/dac with pink noise, and I used only the on-board components, namely the Built in Amp of each, I did use the Balanced out of my NFB10ES2 and the SE out of the Hugo 2, my next set of impressions will be running the Line out of each into my Pico Power Amp, I'll also be including the HM 901 in these impressions

Did you try Coax from your Eitr to Hugo 2?

Aug 2, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #184 of 265
Sadly no I don't have a rca coax to 3.5mm trs nor an adapter

I'll b running either optical or usb from either the h140 or my v20

Aug 2, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #185 of 265

Looking forward to your thoughts, I've read that AGD does a great 9018 implementation. I had the AGD DAC-19 (10th anv - PCM-1704) and it was fine but I ended up selling it off. The Oppo HA-1 with the 9018 that I had was impressive to me initially, but just came off as smeared and bright in the treble in the end, but it's all in the implementation. The amp in the HA-1 was incredibly transparent though.

Anyway, enjoy your time with the Hugo2.

Aug 2, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #186 of 265
I'll be updating the second post with links to reviews in short order. I've been slammed with work so I'm a bit behind.

Thanks to those that have already posted their reviews! :)

Aug 2, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #187 of 265
Looking forward to your thoughts, I've read that AGD does a great 9018 implementation. I had the AGD DAC-19 (10th anv - PCM-1704) and it was fine but I ended up selling it off. The Oppo HA-1 with the 9018 that I had was impressive to me initially, but just came off as smeared and bright in the treble in the end, but it's all in the implementation. The amp in the HA-1 was incredibly transparent though.

Anyway, enjoy your time with the Hugo2.

Like your quote, certainly applies here in spades

An honestly I've been impressed with my AGD the dac section is excellent, the Amp Section is a little dark, but it's not bad, I only wish I'd gotten an NFB 27 back in the day, it has just a smidge more power than my 10ES2, 6W into 40 on my10EES2 vs 8W into 40 from the NFB27, either way the lack of Power is my only gripe. At max capacity it'll get my HE 4 to reference, which is fine I don't listen to it any louder than that. Keeps the HE 4 very well in control, I did opt for the lower voltage gain, Still Once I hook up my Pico Power it'll be a different game from there out, just dac vs dac at that point

Aug 2, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #188 of 265
Like your quote, certainly applies here in spades

An honestly I've been impressed with my AGD the dac section is excellent, the Amp Section is a little dark, but it's not bad, I only wish I'd gotten an NFB 27 back in the day, it has just a smidge more power than my 10ES2, 6W into 40 on my10EES2 vs 8W into 40 from the NFB27, either way the lack of Power is my only gripe. At max capacity it'll get my HE 4 to reference, which is fine I don't listen to it any louder than that. Keeps the HE 4 very well in control, I did opt for the lower voltage gain, Still Once I hook up my Pico Power it'll be a different game from there out, just dac vs dac at that point

How does the Hugo2 do with the HE-4 from the headphone out? The HE-4 is quite inefficient aren't they.

Aug 2, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #189 of 265
How does the Hugo2 do with the HE-4 from the headphone out? The HE-4 is quite inefficient aren't they.

Surprisingly, it'll go louder than the NFB10ES2 will! I can push it up to 83.2 dBs with my pink Noise Track [compared to 76.4 out of the NFB10ES2] , the sound is cacophonous at that level with actual music, the horns in so What tear, and the bass falls apart, but at my normal listening levels it's ok... kinda mushy, lacking tactility and still narrow doesn't do transients either, but it get's louder than I was expecting!

Though My Audio GD has plenty of current on tap, the gain is set low. When I purchased it I opt'd for the lower gain setting out the factory, I had a REALLY efficient Audio Technica ATH W1000X, that ran no more than half Vol Pot on Low gain, with the same track that I max out on my HE 4 [on high gain]

A better question is how will it drive the LCD XC? At 20 Ohms and a much higher efficiency, it should do a lot better

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #190 of 265
A better question is how will it drive the LCD XC? At 20 Ohms and a much higher efficiency, it should do a lot better

Regarding the XC, personally I didn't like it much with the Hugo2. I'm not entirely sure if it's my pair that's different than what I've read from others (Audeze variation?) but the upper mids/lower treble was grainy and harsh and at times just way too much. My pair also seems to have less bass (about-4dB) than other XC graphs I've seen. On the flip side I really enjoyed the Utopia's treble with the Hugo2 so I'm thinking my XC might need to go up for sale as I haven't listened to them forever, except when testing different gear. I also hear these traits from my XC with other gear so I don't think it's the Hugo2, but rather just not the headphone for me anymore.

I found the XC was driven incredibly easy from the Hugo2. More coming when I actually get around to publishing my review.

Aug 2, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #191 of 265
Regarding the XC, personally I didn't like it much with the Hugo2. I'm not entirely sure if it's my pair that's different than what I've read from others (Audeze variation?) but the upper mids/lower treble was grainy and harsh and at times just way too much. My pair also seems to have less bass (about-4dB) than other XC graphs I've seen. On the flip side I really enjoyed the Utopia's treble with the Hugo2 so I'm thinking my XC might need to go up for sale as I haven't listened to them forever, except when testing different gear. I also hear these traits from my XC with other gear so I don't think it's the Hugo2, but rather just not the headphone for me anymore.

I found the XC was driven incredibly easy from the Hugo2. More coming when I actually get around to publishing my review.

Well the ole adage still stands, planars like current. Looking on paper the Hugo doesn't seem up to par, an honestly anything with less then at least 4w PC at 40Ohms doesn't do my HE 4 justice, but the XC in general is a bit shouty already, which doesn't help

I'm not surprised to hear the Utopia does well either, I actually had a chance to hear it driven straight from an LG v20 of all things! Sounded quite well actually,

Aug 2, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #193 of 265
Well the ole adage still stands, planars like current. Looking on paper the Hugo doesn't seem up to par, an honestly anything with less then at least 4w PC at 40Ohms doesn't do my HE 4 justice, but the XC in general is a bit shouty already, which doesn't help

I'm not surprised to hear the Utopia does well either, I actually had a chance to hear it driven straight from an LG v20 of all things! Sounded quite well actually,

I found the LCD-2.2 and ETHER Flow to fare much better than the XC. The Hugo2's Current output is 500mA, but it has an increased bias over the Hugo1 if I understand correctly. It's rarely noted what the Current output is on many powerful amps but I'm curious what they typically output for Current.

From a PM with Rob when I asked about the output stage:

the OP stage on Hugo 2 is capable of more power into low impedance loads. The bias current has been doubled, if memory serves correctly!

Aug 2, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #194 of 265
Hi. I just posted my review from this leg of the Hugo2 Tour. Hope it's of some help.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-442#post-13637321

Thanks for the review!

I want you to know that there's no way you'd 'get in trouble' for sharing your opinion and comparing to other gear.

TO BE CLEAR
, I said the preference is not to be part of a shootout, for example meaning 10 DACs are reviewed and the Hugo2 is 1/10th of the topic.

I hope this clears things up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back