Official ♦♦ Chord Hugo2 Canada/U.S.A. Tour ♦♦ Thread
Aug 10, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #211 of 265
It's not to bad, but I don't mind the Hugo 2 LCD XC combo though... the pair I'm demoing are am using a WireWorld Red Cable... which apparently helps with a lot of that upper mid shout, non the less, while I feel the Hugo 2 is... not warm but very smooth an natural sounding, it's doesn't tame the LCD XC's Upper Mid shout as good as other amps do, the detail is really spot on but there is still just a touch of ringing in those upper mids,

Do you mean the WyWires Red Cable? I get those names swapped in my head all the time. Great cable though.

Aug 10, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #212 of 265
Aug 10, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #213 of 265
Do you mean the WyWires Red Cable? I get those names swapped in my head all the time. Great cable though.

Possibly, the XC is a loaner from another member that could be the right cable

Also USB from my v20 right into the Hugo works like magic! Testing the Optical VS USB out now, starting with pink noise level matching and the internal amp.

@x RELIC x was correct, the optical input made a BIG impact on how the Hugo Operated. My impressions of Optical vs Optical stand, the Hugo 2 had better timbre with the optical Input but the sound stage was crushed, the NFB10ES2 had a better sound stage but the timbre was dry and yucky

The USB input from my LG v20 [with 24/96bit versions of the same files] REALLY opened up the sound stage of the Hugo 2, not a little 5-10% difference. More like 30-40%, there more detail, the sound stage went from hazy to well defined, as did the overall sound. Highs were not longer harsh and lacking extension, the bass was no longer fuzzy and soft

So I'll be starting my USB only impressions from here out, and since a proper optical cable was not provided, I'll be comparing the USB fed Hugo 2 to my HM901 and Coax Fed Nfb10ES2 again with the internal amp and with an external for each

Optical output from the iRiver H140 is horrific, apparently

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #214 of 265
My time with the Hugo 2 is ending soon, as I re-explore the sound of it through USB I'm much more impressed

I've often heard of the sharpness or exaggeration of a Sabre Dac, though it didn't quite click till listening to the Hugo. There's a smoothness to the Hugo along with a more natural resolve for micro detail, my NFB10ES2 lacks a little in the micro detail and places emphasis on the Macro Detail, the macro details sound exaggerated in comparison to the Hugo 2,

The sound stage is much the same, bottom to top is very clear with the NFB 10ES2 but circular motion, a defined sphere isn't. In David Chesky's Bell an Drum, the bell moves perfectly around you, but the Drum jumps a little more, with the Hugo 2 both move in a more unified circular motion

An now that I've heard it it's a bit difficult to un hear

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #215 of 265
My time with the Hugo 2 is ending soon, as I re-explore the sound of it through USB I'm much more impressed

I've often heard of the sharpness or exaggeration of a Sabre Dac, though it didn't quite click till listening to the Hugo. There's a smoothness to the Hugo along with a more natural resolve for micro detail, my NFB10ES2 lacks a little in the micro detail and places emphasis on the Macro Detail, the macro details sound exaggerated in comparison to the Hugo 2,

The sound stage is much the same, bottom to top is very clear with the NFB 10ES2 but circular motion, a defined sphere isn't. In David Chesky's Bell an Drum, the bell moves perfectly around you, but the Drum jumps a little more, with the Hugo 2 both move in a more unified circular motion

An now that I've heard it it's a bit difficult to un hear

The Sabre brightness is due to the many poor implementations of the older 9018 chipset. But when it was done right, it was pretty good. Thankfully the new Sabre chipsets 9028/9038 have incorporated filters to take out the overs that caused the brightness. I'm fairly sensitive to this, but thankfully none of the three DACs I have here (Kitsune Holo Spring DAC Level 3, Benchmark DAC3 HGC and of course the Hugo 2) are all quite flat without a hint of that brightness.

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #216 of 265
The Sabre brightness is due to the many poor implementations of the older 9018 chipset. But when it was done right, it was pretty good. Thankfully the new Sabre chipsets 9028/9038 have incorporated filters to take out the overs that caused the brightness. I'm fairly sensitive to this, but thankfully none of the three DACs I have here (Kitsune Holo Spring DAC Level 3, Benchmark DAC3 HGC and of course the Hugo 2) are all quite flat without a hint of that brightness.

Any thoughts on the Holo Spring DAC vs. the Hugo 2? Not necessarily pressing for better or worse, but any notable sonic presentation differences between the two? I enjoy the Kitsune everytime I hear it, but DACs are (IMO) probably the hardest things to judge at audio shows. You've really got to live with them. Or at least I do.

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #217 of 265
but thankfully none of the three DACs I have here are all quite flat without a hint of that brightness.

I assume you mean that none of the three dac's you have contain that brightness, as they are all quite flat without a hint of brightness

I'm listening tonight with David Chesky's Drum and Bell: Walk Around the Mic & Four Surround Voices Test,

That set of listening was done with the LCD XC ran from the internal amp of my NFB10ES2 and the Hugo 2 , the LCD XC and NFB10ES2 balanced out emphasis the hint of brightness this Sabre Dac has, swapping to line out listening with my Ember II [1944 Sylvania GT White Label JAN-CHS VT231] the Eikon get's more macro detail from the NFB10ES2, but the top end is harder, the Hugo 2 has a more apparent sweetness to it, especially apparent in the bell each does well with micro detail for this track

but moving to Four Surround Voices, the NFB10ES2 sounds a bit thin and lifeless compared to the Hugo 2, the Hugo 2 brings out more of the individual body timbre of each of the men speaking a unique warmth from their chests, the NFB10ES2 adjusts the shift in tone but lacks some of the from the body warmth... doesn't resolve as much of that micro detail,

The line out of my NFB10ES2 is also nosier...

Revisiting the HM901 vs Hugo 2 tonight, and I'm more impressed with the HM901[Vintage Filter(LineOut->PicoPower)] than I have been in a while! I'm starting to think I need to do a more serious comparison of my HM901 vs the NFB10ES2, the 901 with Vintage filter sits in between the sound signature of the Hugo 2 and the NFB10ES2, harder than the Hugo 2 but not as exaggerated as the NFB10ES2

I'm still impressed though with how well the more natural warmth of the Hugo 2 pair's with my HE 4!
Last bit of impressions tonight have been with ASIO USB out from my laptop, compared to the USB Out of my Mobile, sourced through a PC gave the Hugo 2 an even blacker back drop. Which often translated into little improvements in the sound stage and more clarity in the lows an an even more natural sound, the USB Mobile was a touch harder up top compared to ASIO USB

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #220 of 265
First impressions from last night. Absolutely horrible sounding using my favorite hp LCD-XC....very disjointed with an overemphasis of the treble. Thankfully, my disappointment changes to euphoria with my OPPO PM-2.....wow, the details and separation are out of this world. For reference, I usually use the OPPO ha-1. First time I have heard a complete mismatch between Dac/amp and hps with the XC.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #221 of 265
I sold, and did not have the opportunity to try my LCD-X with the Hugo 2. I did, however, have no issues to gain enough volume though my LCD-4 headphones - there was no unusual sense of too much treble, or uncontrolled bass.

However, what you describe as disjointed sound and an overemphasis on the treble - this I did hear. It was like the sound was solid, but out of focus - for those of you with experience of wearing glasses, like the light was both too bright and hitting the wrong parts of my cornea. Then I changed the X-PHD from off to the first setting, and the music snapped into proper space. The highs were no longer bright noise, but spatial cues. I could easily locate the singer, who often hovered, wistfully, just out of reach, but clearly there in the space just before me.

I'm not suggesting you will have the same experience, but there are many features on the Hugo 2, not normally available, and which you may want to try to slightly alter the music to your preferred taste. It may or may not work, but it seems worth the try.

Aug 17, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #222 of 265
I just received the Hugo2 Black. Just plugged it in opt and will see how it goes with a couple songs. Will be using PM-3 and Noble iem for listening. Will try to source from computer, iPad, and my fiio X5 over the weekend.

Aug 22, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #224 of 265
First impressions from last night. Absolutely horrible sounding using my favorite hp LCD-XC....very disjointed with an overemphasis of the treble. Thankfully, my disappointment changes to euphoria with my OPPO PM-2.....wow, the details and separation are out of this world. For reference, I usually use the OPPO ha-1. First time I have heard a complete mismatch between Dac/amp and hps with the XC.

Ok. I figured out what happened. My darn xlr to SE adaptor was not fully plugged into Hugo. It needed a little bit more of a push. My XCs sound great out of the Hugo now!

Aug 22, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #225 of 265
Ok. I figured out what happened. My darn xlr to SE adaptor was not fully plugged into Hugo. It needed a little bit more of a push. My XCs sound great out of the Hugo now!

Glad you sorted it out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back