Official ♦♦ Chord Hugo2 Canada/U.S.A. Tour ♦♦ Thread
Aug 2, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #196 of 265
I found the LCD-2.2 and ETHER Flow to fare much better than the XC. The Hugo2's Current output is 500mA, but it has an increased bias over the Hugo1 if I understand correctly. It's rarely noted what the Current output is on many powerful amps but I'm curious what they typically output for Current.

From a PM with Rob when I asked about the output stage:

500 mA is pretty good! Again I was surprised at how well it did

Thanks for the review!

I want you to know that there's no way you'd 'get in trouble' for sharing your opinion and comparing to other gear.

TO BE CLEAR
, I said the preference is not to be part of a shootout, for example meaning 10 DACs are reviewed and the Hugo2 is 1/10th of the topic.

I hope this clears things up.

I still intend to compare the Hugo 2 to everything else I own, what's on my blog will be primarily how it sounds by it self, the same content will be uploaded into the head gear section as well without comparisons directly, but my impressions based on how it compared, but my post here will be both. I discuss build, function ect... and end with comparisons. I always link to a thread for full comparative notes I could see if the ENTIRE post was about how it compares that'd be rude, but it's equally important to compare it with it's competitors. So ideally 70% is pure Hugo 2, the last 30 is "how does it compare"

Aug 2, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #197 of 265
I still intend to compare the Hugo 2 to everything else I own, what's on my blog will be primarily how it sounds by it self, the same content will be uploaded into the head gear section as well without comparisons directly, but my impressions based on how it compared, but my post here will be both. I discuss build, function ect... and end with comparisons. I always link to a thread for full comparative notes I could see if the ENTIRE post was about how it compares that'd be rude, but it's equally important to compare it with it's competitors. So ideally 70% is pure Hugo 2, the last 30 is "how does it compare"

I'd expect nothing less. You've got the idea.

I could see if the ENTIRE post was about how it compares that'd be rude

This ^^

Edit: I honestly think this is one of those times when my 18yr old would say 'yeah, of course Dad, you didn't need to say anything'. :)

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #199 of 265
Last edited:
Aug 3, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #200 of 265
Did some listening tonight with my Nhoord Red V1, mostly sound-stage an imaging tracks from the Chesky Binaural Demo disc, fed Optical in from an iRiver H140. Orignal Track was 24/192, track was down sampled to 16/44.1 for use with the H140, Volume matched out of the on board headphone out for each unit, SE 6.5mm on the Hugo 2 and 4pin XLR on the NFB10ES2

4 surround voice
Drum an Bell Around Mic
Center Height Shaker Test

With Four Voices,

Both the NFB 10ES2 and Hugo 2 placed each voice as stated. Front Right, Rear Right, Rear Left Front Left,

As the voice got closer the nosier NFB10ES2 didn't resolve the dynamics as well as the Hugo 2 did. Also The Hugo had a more accurate sense of left center right, with each voice drawing closer to center as they moved closer the NFB10ES2 though resolved a difference in height, the front left voice always sounds a tad higher than the rear left

With Drum an Bell,

The Hugo 2 was blacker, with better transient resolve in the lows, the drum's release rang out longer it was audible down to a quieter level than what the NFB10ES2 resolved, the NFB10ES2 how ever had a more prominent attack, each hit was fuller, heavier more dynamic, the decay from that attack to the release point was quicker, and the drum audibly settle'd sooner.

On the flip side the Bell sounded a bit rolled off with the Hugo 2, the NFB10ES2 had both better attack an extension for the bell as it rang, it resolved the release of each hit to a quieter point before silence

The sense of movement was clear'er with the Hugo 2 as well, the drum and bell moved from front, to left, to behind, to the right and then back to the front. The NFB10ES2 placed the sound originating from the front slightly above the sound originating from behind,

Finally with Center Height an Shaker,

The Hugo was not able to clearly resolve the sound of the shaker as it moved from below the mic, to level with it, and finally up above the mic. Rather all sounds that should originate below sound more in front, once they were level with the mic then they proceeded to move upwards

The NFB10ES2 resolved height, both below and above the mic much more accurately, you could very clearly hear the mic coming up from beneath you

So with the easier to drive, smaller Nhoord Red V1 I have to say I enjoyed the Hugo 2, did an excellent job with a cohesive image from left to right, and was excellent as resolving the low end transients with a driver that's a little rolled off on the bottom end, it also brought good vocal dynamics as well, but it's sound stage was a bit short an it lacked dynamics on both of the extreme ends in comparison to the NFB10ES2

After I finished, I tested my findings with my HE 4 out of the NFB10ES2 with Coax input from the Etir. With the Etir as the point of entry, the NFB10ES2 had the same blackness as the Hugo 2 with Optical input, so with Drum and Bell it was equally capable of resolving the drum as it settled and more dynamic

Additionally the strange up hill tilt I experienced with the Nhoord Red, was not present with the HE 4. I'd imagine that up hill tilt is the result of the smaller driver on the Nhoord an the taller image presented by the NFB10ES2, but testing the HE 4 out of the Hugo 2, I got a more "intimate" image with the Hugo 2, both the drum and bell sounded closer to the mic, where as moving to the NFB10ES2 the sound opened up, dynamics were also lacking with the HE 4 out of the Hugo 2. That said, for testing the internal amp I of the Hugo I chose the Nhoord Red V1 because it's much less demanding. Tomorrow's tests will be with the Nhoord Red v1 / HE 4 and my Pico Power, so I can eliminate the influence of a different amp from each unit

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #201 of 265
Aug 8, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #202 of 265
Hugo 2 arrived today! :)

First impressions are very good. I seem to be gravitating toward my LCD2 to use with these. Also testing on a HD700 and Denon D2000

Aug 8, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #203 of 265
Barra's Silver Hugo 2 Tour Kit arrived today. Everything looks good.

IMG_2293.JPG

Aug 9, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #204 of 265
Aug 9, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #205 of 265
Hi all, I've finally posted my Hugo2 review. There is a lot I'd like to add, like music samples, but it's already is quite long.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/review/18998/

It's not to bad, but I don't mind the Hugo 2 LCD XC combo though... the pair I'm demoing are am using a WireWorld Red Cable... which apparently helps with a lot of that upper mid shout, non the less, while I feel the Hugo 2 is... not warm but very smooth an natural sounding, it's doesn't tame the LCD XC's Upper Mid shout as good as other amps do, the detail is really spot on but there is still just a touch of ringing in those upper mids,

Aug 9, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #206 of 265
It's not to bad, but I don't mind the Hugo 2 LCD XC combo though... the pair I'm demoing are am using a WireWorld Red Cable... which apparently helps with a lot of that upper mid shout, non the less, while I feel the Hugo 2 is... not warm but very smooth an natural sounding, it's doesn't tame the LCD XC's Upper Mid shout as good as other amps do, the detail is really spot on but there is still just a touch of ringing in those upper mids,

I can completely see where you're coming from, and my XC just may be not to my tatstes and I should just sell it. Or, could be variance from Audeze as I've seen a few FR graphs much more balanced than mine. I also had a different perspective of the height tests from Chesky's Utimate Headphone Disk from you. The nice thing is we all get to share our perspective. I find that interesting and worthwhile.

Aug 9, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #207 of 265
I can completely see where you're coming from, and my XC just may be not to my tatstes and I should just sell it. Or, could be variance from Audeze as I've seen a few FR graphs much more balanced than mine. I also had a different perspective of the height tests from Chesky's Utimate Headphone Disk from you. The nice thing is we all get to share our perspective. I find that interesting and worthwhile.

That's interesting, I wonder if it's has to do with me running Optical in from my iRiver H140. My understanding is Optical is still processed by the unit it's exiting from. I'm doing one last listen with the Geek Out v2+ from my LG v20, so see how the Hugo Sounds VIA usb. It could be that via USB the sound stage opens up better without the iRiver H140 butting in. I also resample'd the Chesky Tracks from 196/24 down to 44.1/16 to run out of the iRiver H140, I also used the iRiver H140 optical out into both the NFB10ES2 and the Hugo 2, so it could be a difference in how each unit handles the down sample'd tracks

That may be a large part of why we heard it differently, headphones also make a difference. My Nhoord Red V1 isn't the greatest with Height as it's a small driver, but I got the same results with my HE 4 as well. The NFB10ES2 being taller than the Hugo 2, and again this is using the same Optical Input from the iRiver H140.

Aug 9, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #208 of 265
@Mshenay, I've heard what I would call a detrimental SQ from the AK100 mk2's optical output to the Mojo vs the AK240's optical output so I wouldn't be surprised. The AK100mk2 was harsh, grainy, etched in comparison to the AK240's smooth and clean output. I hated this as I purchased the AK100mk2 specifically to pair with the Mojo for it's form factor. Previously, my experience I would have doubted such claims. It could very well be the optical transmitter/implementation, but for clarity I couldn't peg the SQ you heard strictly from the iRiver as I've never heard it, not have I ever listened to the headphones you have. The HE-4 in particular is much more difficult to drive than what I have.

Aug 9, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #209 of 265
iRiver is what A&K used to call itself, sadly the optical imput on my Nfb 10es2 is even worse that the input on the Hugo2. It could be a combination of less than ideal output on the H140 an less than ideal ( but still better than my AGD NFB10ES2) input on the Hugo. I'll redo my tests with my Nhoord Red an the LCD XC tomorrow with only usb input from my v20 with full rez files

Aug 10, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #210 of 265
iRiver is what A&K used to call itself, sadly the optical imput on my Nfb 10es2 is even worse that the input on the Hugo2. It could be a combination of less than ideal output on the H140 an less than ideal ( but still better than my AGD NFB10ES2) input on the Hugo. I'll redo my tests with my Nhoord Red an the LCD XC tomorrow with only usb input from my v20 with full rez files

Definately looking forward to your review, looks like you're putting a lot of testing in to it which is great... no matter the outcome. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back