Official ♦♦ Chord Hugo2 Canada/U.S.A. Tour ♦♦ Thread
Jul 12, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #151 of 265
I just wanted to clarify my earlier post explaining the output stage of the Hugo2. I got a little over zealous regarding the reasons for the design as I thought it might be helpful to know what the intention is behind simplifying the analogue stage and I've edited it to be more to the point. My apologies for that.

Also, regarding the headphone out with headphone pairings, I'm just saying that I found the Hugo2 won't colour your headphones to make poor performing cans sound like great performing cans (I didn't like the LCD-XC for example, but did like the Utopia). Of course, report your own findings on this.

Regarding a 'shootout review', I'm only saying that the Hugo2 review shouldn't be part of a muti-DAC review where it isn't the focus (just a small bit in an overall review), I'm not saying in any way that you should not compare to your other devices.

I hope that helps clear things up.

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #152 of 265
Received the silver Hugo to start our US tours for my second group. Starting with my turn and will post early impressions tomorrow, but can tell you that it is sounding great with everything that I am throwing at it.

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #154 of 265
Hi, just a quick note. My unit has a little rattle like something is slightly loose inside. When I invert the the unit something moves ever so slightly and then when I turn it back the thing moves back. It seems to affect nothing. I just wanted to say: it wasn't me.

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #155 of 265
Hi, just a quick note. My unit has a little rattle like something is slightly loose inside. When I invert the the unit something moves ever so slightly and then when I turn it back the thing moves back. It seems to affect nothing. I just wanted to say: it wasn't me.

It's the 4 balls that rattle. Hold them down and the rattle goes away. It seems like all the Hugo2's do this.

Jul 19, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #156 of 265
It's the 4 balls that rattle. Hold them down and the rattle goes away. It seems like all the Hugo2's do this.
Are you trying to say the Hugo has balls that clank? Wow

:beyersmile:

Jul 19, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #158 of 265

Maybe a design change at Chord. Without going into detail I've had three previous Mojo's and balls were firm in the housing but still rotated with a slight rub sound. Just got a new Mojo and the balls rattle and are looser.

Maybe the global financial crisis has lead to Chord having to buy smaller balls :)

Maybe we should PM John Franks to ask if his balls have shrunk!

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #159 of 265
This something ill put in my review as well but the gap on this is to much for such an expensive DAC. Build quality should be top notch.
20170718_202423.jpg

Jul 19, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #160 of 265
This something ill put in my review as well but the gap on this is to much for such an expensive DAC. Build quality should be top notch.

I noticed the same gap on the USB side for the Canadian tour units. I wonder if the plastic BT window thickness prevents the chassis from being tightly assembled.

Jul 19, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #161 of 265
I noticed the same gap on the USB side for the Canadian tour units. I wonder if the plastic BT window thickness prevents the chassis from being tightly assembled.
Could very well be. I think if the Hugo2 was assembled with tighter tolerances the balls would not shake as much and the gap would not be not an issue.
Know one should take this the wrong way as it seems very robust during my time with it and the sound it produces will make you drift off to your happy place.

Jul 21, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #162 of 265
Could very well be. I think if the Hugo2 was assembled with tighter tolerances the balls would not shake as much and the gap would not be not an issue.
Know one should take this the wrong way as it seems very robust during my time with it and the sound it produces will make you drift off to your happy place.

Hmm I guess I'll see how it is when I get a old of it!

Otherwise looking forward to hearing it

Jul 23, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #163 of 265
Status report...

I received the black Hugo2 US tour unit Friday (day before yesterday) in good order. I am a bit more than halfway through the testing I planned upon, and I expect to send it to the next tour member, @WhiskeyJacks , in about two to four days.

Just to let all know where the @Hansotek - hosted unit is. Thanks!

Jul 23, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #164 of 265
According to tour directions, I am invited to post impressions of the Hugo 2 here and a full review in the proper Equipment review section, with a link pointing to it in this thread.

I am a bit over halfway through my testing. Here are some impressions (not yet a complete review):

In short... I'M SOLD!

Chord has taken an exquisite product, the Hugo, improved its sound, and even more so, improved the quirkiness that Hugo owners had to endure for the pleasure of using the Hugo.

I just started to list 18 improvements beyond better sound that to me even outweigh the better sound, but then I saw that I could easily end up writing the review right here, so I will hold off. As a hint, the Hugo 2 has an easily accessible on/off switch (instead of the recessed tab that you had to switch with your fingernail), indicator lights in a straight-forward labeled row (rather than lights you peer through the round window on the chassis to view and try to read on the circuit board what they show), and receptacles for plugs that are not recessed and have enough space around them to use normal cables (I had to buy several special cables from Moon Audio to get the small slim connectors demanded by the Hugo to use it!).

Its sound is clearly better than the Hugo on lossless CD quality source, and better still on high-resolution audio. In a three-way comparison using the formalism of 10 acoustic tests, where I rate three systems by comparing them (1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place) on each test, the Hugo 2 scores best, at 24.5 points, as compared to the Hugo at 18 and the iPod Touch 6 Gen at 17.5, using the HiFiMAN HE1000 headphones to listen. I will show how each of the 10 tests compared when I post my full review.

I also plan to use my Grado PS-1000 headphones (or maybe the PS-1000e, as I have both) to compare the Hugo 2 to the Schiit Bifrost Uber Multibit USB and the Lotoo PAW Gold digital audio player, both of which, at various times, have been recommended to me by Grado Labs as best for Grado headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back