Nakamichi SP-7
Jul 26, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #32 of 97
ok, that is what I understood, then. thanks a lot !

If you get a chance, post pictures of your builds! Would be fun to see what they look like.

Oct 4, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #34 of 97
Hi there
Well, I tried... but it broke... I had to find another sp7 to mend it, taking one driver out of the " new one". too bad... the driver is very solid, strong, but that is the reason why, as I am strong too, the driver broke. I won't advise to do that, so. anyway, now, I have what has to be called my NakStax. This is rather esay to do. but for the drivers to be held in the stax housing, it is better to remove teh plastic ring around the driver, wich needs a bit patience and a little care and effort. to hold the drivers in the cans, I used a bit of hot glue and that's all.
the result is really amazing for the sound. and I don't dislike the result for the eyes.
comparing them to my stax srx mkIII pro, which are my favourite, they are really not far form them. cith the advantage of being possibly held and used everywhere, without an energiser. I will send some photos.

Oct 4, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #35 of 97
have a look
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #36 of 97
if I go further on the sound comparaison with the srx : the nakstax is clearer in the higs and mids ( !!!) but is lacking some bass. If I use my spl vitalizer with the stax, I reach the same highs and mids. so, the nakstax needs some damping, probably, to get to the top. but I don't think it will get to the quality of the bass of the srx, which are so strong and precise. I'll make some tests.

Oct 4, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #37 of 97
20171004_114928.jpg

the driver without the ring to fit the housing
20171004_114940.jpg

an old stax srx pad to make a dumping. I don't ear the difference with or without, but leave it inside.

20171004_114940.jpg
20171004_122711.jpg

changed the out pads, used old sony sa 500 pads. I get a bit more bass than qith the stax gamma pads. probably won't work if you buy spare sa 5000 pads from china, they are not as strong as original sony pads; Don't think sony makes any new pads. if sony sa 5000 owners are changing their pads, please keep the old ones for those who want to make this mod to get a nakstax. I tried with many kinds of pads, these work best for the NakStax.
20171004_122717.jpg
20171004_122726.jpg

on the bottom right of the picture, the out ring that needs to be removed from the driver

Attachments

• 20171004_122347.jpg
    20171004_122347.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 0
Oct 4, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #38 of 97
the final result is still so brilliant ! but still not the same bass as the srx pro. anyway, you only feel the lack when you compare both, the NakStax is weel balanced.
by addition since I took the photos, I coloured in black the originally white part of the driver that can be seen.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #39 of 97
hello there
I found another nak. decided to use it as it was. except for the cushions which were not present.
just ordered these
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/261485280175 and will listen to the result when i recieve them.
I ordered these before
https://fr.shopping.rakuten.com/off...ets-oreille-pad-coussinets-housse-casque.html
and received them, they fot perfectly, but in my girlfriend's opinion, it can be a little pain on the ears after a while, because they are very thin.
about these new naks, i have to say that the sound is very very pleasant.they are now my favorite dynamic headphones. the stax srx mkIII pro, compared to them, are not as bassy, but the mids and highs of the srx are up in quality.
It seems that from one item of the same model to the other, the naks can be different. I found another one last week, will receive it soon, and I will give my feeling on this page.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #43 of 97
I also noticed that the distance between the driver and the ear is dramatically important ( much more than with other headphones) and that is why I am not convinced that the new pads I ordered, which will put them a bit further from my ears, will make it as well as the very thin pads I have now. which don't bother me at all.
as I will soon receive the other sp7 , I will be able to make a real comparison between pads.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #44 of 97
SP-7's poor fit affected sound fullness negatively.
I came out about this headphone hoping people
like you wppk or Grado modders like fleasbaby
might do the silky smooth transducers justice.

I have two pairs of the SP-7 drivers at the moment. Was actually thinking about mounting them up and trying again with them. My findings thus far: the lack of a center hole in the driver face necessitates a semi-closed cup. Taking the face off and adding a hole changes that. They still sounded slightly flat though. That was where my experiments ended. I might go back to them at some point though. They taunt me from the shelf every time I walk past them...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back