My DIY electrostatic headphones
Jul 18, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #2,762 of 4,059
65mm could be perfect in a good housing and with a properly sealed baffle.

The size of the holes really depends on your D/S gap and really shouldn't be any larger then double the D/S gap. For Stax that means 1mm or so given their 0.5mm D/S gap.

I for one don't like to damp much but I've gone to extreme lengths to dampen some drivers which just won't behave. That said, airdamping is IMO a very good idea as it it traps air next to the diaphragm and can stabilize it. Most undamped electrostatic drivers have some resonance frequency (usually in the upper midrange, lower treble) and this helps to tame it. Take a look at the picture below, that's a Stax SR-007Mk2 driver and notice the ring with no holes around the driver. That's still part of the stator with the diaphragm beneath it but it can't output any sound. The small Stax SR-003 portable headset goes even further where only a small part of the stators is open.

Hello,
If I accept that the holes must have a diameter 1mm equal to the gap (0.5mm) multiplied by 2 at maximum, please let me know your opinion about the density of the holes on stator ? In my previous made headphones i have 1.8mm hole on stators.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #2,763 of 4,059
IMG_20170401_231233.jpg
IMG_20170401_231314.jpg
I've got some free time this afternoon and these are what I have achieved today.

As for the male connector, I found these metal rods exactly like what are used on Stax's. With my CNC, I cut the top part using a 5 mm plastic sheet, and I use a small piece of PVC pipe as the body. It turns out quite nice. :)

Wachara C.

Hello,
I designed and made STAX style male connectors with my 3d printer. As you can see i designed also the bolts for cover.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #2,768 of 4,059
Hi Khun Watchara;

Million thanks for you kindly , this is my best opportunity to get direct information from .. Normally I will be free on Friday I stay in Bangbuathong Nonthatburi ..How can I contact you ? if you are not comfortable to give me phone number .. I have line ID or Skype account..

Boonyoung

Jul 24, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #2,769 of 4,059

Hello,
I designed and made STAX style male connectors with my 3d printer. As you can see i designed also the bolts for cover.

Hi ts8051,

I didn't notice that the plug was from your 3d printer. It looked very much like mine. I like your screw in feature. Will you share your 3D file with us?

What kind of filament do you use?

Jul 24, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #2,770 of 4,059
Hi Khun Watchara;

Million thanks for you kindly , this is my best opportunity to get direct information from .. Normally I will be free on Friday I stay in Bangbuathong Nonthatburi ..How can I contact you ? if you are not comfortable to give me phone number .. I have line ID or Skype account..

Boonyoung

Hi Khun Boonyoung,

I've sent you a PM message. Please check.

Wachara C.

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #2,772 of 4,059
Quote:

Using the method I posted certainly works, but I haven't spent enough time doing trials and errors to get the right weights.

Whatever method you choose to use, you'll just need to try, try, and try until you get it just right. It's not so easy.

Wachara C.
Hello,
How can we measure the tension? Does exist a sensitive tension meter ? Can we measure the tension by means of the pressure of a known weight on the membrane?

Jul 25, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #2,773 of 4,059
Hello again,
I downloaded the Advanced FFT analyzer and I checked my Electrostatic Headphones made by me (by means of white noise generator) that the resonance frequency is about 250Hz. In contrast my old STAX SR Lambda Headphones have resonance frequency about 150Hz.
I can explain it because i tensioned the membrane with very high tension. Now I plan to construct with my 3D printer a tensioning mechanism. After R&D about the correct tension, I will put on the tensioned membrane a known weight and i will measure the z position of this weight on the membrane. In the next membrane tension I will adjust the tension of the membrane in order to have the same z position of the known weight.

Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 01.10.16.png

Aug 2, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #2,775 of 4,059
Hello,
After studying the relationship between membrane tension and resonance frequency I made headphones with resonance frequency 80Hz. I made also a centre hole. The bass response is amazing. Of course the responce in middle and high frequencies are the best. I also observe the excellent stereo image with depth. In the near future I will post some photos.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back