Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jul 26, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #4,998 of 8,051
I kept the felt to keep dust and stuff out but I switched back to leather. I bought the magnetic adapters to test both pads but decided to ditch them and just use the double sided tape. Preferred the sound w the stock felt and leathers.
Awesome! That's how I have mine set up now. Did you do the 3inch paper mod as well?
Yes, but I disliked the Aune. It is too bright for my taste, too technical and not musical enough. Even ruined the hd600 for me.
Ah I see, I had already ordered the Aune and it's on its way. I generally like a bright sound sig so I'm hoping I would like the pairing, if not I may add a tube amp or something down the line

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #4,999 of 8,051
I'm looking into buying the NFB 11.28 for the m1060's, was wondering if there are any better options for dac/amps at around $300?
From what I've read online the nfb-11 and the m1060 seem to be a match made in heaven. I haven't hear the nfb-11 myself though. I had considered the nfb-11 as well but considering the ordering process and the additional cost of the nfb I instead settled on the Aune.

Jul 26, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #5,000 of 8,051
I'm looking into buying the NFB 11.28 for the m1060's, was wondering if there are any better options for dac/amps at around $300?

I have the previous NFB-11 (9018 chip) and absolutely love it. Great with the M1060s for sure. I definitely think it is the best dac/amp combo option in that price range. Many people believe it competes well with other solid state amps in the $1,000+ range as well, but I haven't compared those personally. It is built like a tank, the pot doesn't have any channel imbalances, it can power almost every headphone except maybe HE-6, and it has all the possible input and output options you could want. I particularly like it with M1060 because planars require higher current and more current control (as opposed to voltage in high impedance dynamics) and Audio-gd implements a current conveyer topology with less gain stages and more current (and voltage) control. I know the hassle of waiting to have it hand built in China is a pain, but you won't be disappointed if you go that route.

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #5,001 of 8,051
So I have had my M1060s for a couple weeks now and just wow they still bring tears of joy to my eyes, Is it wrong that iv fallen in love with a pair of head phones? All my other headphones sit unused jealous of the of the M1060s resting upon my head. Iv been a frequent lurker of the headfi community posting here and there and my wallet was most certainly better off before i became an audiophile. So let me do all of you favor and save you some money. BUT THESE NOW and never look back! Just for reference I own in the full sized over ear category AKG 7xxs, hifiman he400is and audio technica m50xs in the earbud side i own rose masya, ty 650, au glamor, qian 39, VE Monk in the IEM category i own FLC8s and the audio technica im70 i also had perviously own the sennhiser i80. I primarily use my schit stack a modi multibit and a magni 2 uber to listen to music at my desk.

So with that out of the way the M1060s crush everything else i own. The he400i is the only thing I have that is even remotely close to these. The M1060 beats the hifiman 400i tosses them off a 20 story building and then body slams them just to be sure they are dead. But in all honesty the 1060s are an improvement over the 400is in every way Bass, mids, treble are all better more details, sounds more natural. The m1060s i would describe as balanced sound with a little warmth that makes these so enjoyable to listen to. Highs go up to my limit but never beyond and they are sweet lovely highs not harsh. Mids are warm and lush and vocals are some times borderline creepy realistic i have been caught looking around the room thinking someone else was in here with me! Bass is just awesome deep rich tight bass that never intrudes into the mids, when i hear low notes i smile because you can almost feel it. If you have never heard planar bass before well lets just say i can never go back to standard cone drivers ever again. Cone drivers in the bass department at least for me always feel like they are pushing and pulling on my eardrums and they fatigue my ears. Planar drivers the bass is awesome yet it does not do this it actually has almost the opposite effect it just feels good and makes yah smile!

Ahh i forgot to mention sound stage, these have a pretty good sound stage better than the other head phones I own. I would say these are above average in this category. They do not sound like they are in your head rather sound is coming from outside sources and different directions and distance. The stage I would say is medium in size it doe snot give the impression of a massive concert hall but still of decent enough size. This i think is what really makes these headphones sound so realistic and creepy sometimes and make you think something is happening in your home.

Oh and as far as comfort goes these are very comfortable headphones the pads are nice and soft the headband is also very good. There are no pressure points or areas that cause discomfort as far as clamp. The only thing i can fault these for in the comfort area is that if you wear them for along period of time your ears might get a little warm and sweat a little but this applies to a lot of headphones out there as well so take it for what it is. These headphones are also heavier than your average headphone but still light in comparison to other headphones found up in the thousands (audez looking at you) of dollars price range but if you are used to very light headphones you will notice the difference.

I know some people have reported a 5k ringing i dont have any problems what so ever and i consider myself pretty treble sensitive its one of my major turn offs for any headphone. Anyway i really hope you all consider getting yourself a pair of these they are well worth it. There isn't much point in buying low fi or mid fi while these are available if you ask me they are just that good and enjoyable to listen to.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #5,003 of 8,051
So I emailed Monoprice asking if they had earpads I could buy as replacement earpads for my M560. I didn't want to cut up the original earpads to use the magentic plate with something else. This was the response I just got back from them after over a month of waiting for their reply.

We're sorry for the late reply, we experienced a large influx of emails and are catching up. \

Unfortunately we do not have the earpads for those headphones.
The driver size is 56mm so you would want to search for earpads that are that size.
Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

The following Customer(s) have been CC'ed:

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #5,004 of 8,051
I took the paper out after I attached the leathers. It made the sound a little muffled, they paired best with the vegans.

Try a 2" circular papertowel insert instead if you're not done messing around yet. You may like it and maybe not. Just something I tried and liked. It seemed to bring the treble up, tighten the bass and brought the mids up a bit. I also EQ the bass up a tad under 3db and drop 3K a little over 2hz and personally, I've never been happier with it's sound at present. I also modded with the Audeze leathers instead of the vegans ( I may be the only one) as the bass it pretty tight, punchy and deeeeep.

Jul 27, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #5,005 of 8,051
I have the previous NFB-11 (9018 chip) and absolutely love it. Great with the M1060s for sure. I definitely think it is the best dac/amp combo option in that price range. Many people believe it competes well with other solid state amps in the $1,000+ range as well, but I haven't compared those personally. It is built like a tank, the pot doesn't have any channel imbalances, it can power almost every headphone except maybe HE-6, and it has all the possible input and output options you could want. I particularly like it with M1060 because planars require higher current and more current control (as opposed to voltage in high impedance dynamics) and Audio-gd implements a current conveyer topology with less gain stages and more current (and voltage) control. I know the hassle of waiting to have it hand built in China is a pain, but you won't be disappointed if you go that route.

+1

Jul 27, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #5,006 of 8,051
Has anyone tried putting on the dekoni th900 fenestrated sheep skin pads on their 1060? It says in their Amazon description they fit hifiman and audeze. I prefer leather, but the breath ability sounds nice. I love the feel of the 1540 alcantara pads, and the fenestrated looks like a similar idea with the breathability but hopefully still keep bass impact of leathers.

Jul 27, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #5,007 of 8,051
So I emailed Monoprice asking if they had earpads I could buy as replacement earpads for my M560. I didn't want to cut up the original earpads to use the magentic plate with something else. This was the response I just got back from them after over a month of waiting for their reply.

Sony XB500 pads and 4 pieces of double sided tape on the housing itself is working fine for me. Light use though

Jul 27, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #5,008 of 8,051
Sony XB500 pads and 4 pieces of double sided tape on the housing itself is working fine for me. Light use though

The XB500 pads were a tad too small for me. Prefer the XB700s. I know I can do the double sided tape, but I dont like that approach.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #5,009 of 8,051
So, does these still have something to offer if one already owns the HE400i, HE560, HD650, HD700, X2 and Q701?

My preference is more towards the Hifimans and HD700 than the HD650.

Jul 28, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #5,010 of 8,051
So, does these still have something to offer if one already owns the HE400i, HE560, HD650, HD700, X2 and Q701?
My preference is more towards the Hifimans and HD700 than the HD650.

I can tell you this. I've seen your posts in the X2 thread, and you feel about them pretty much the way I do. Well, the M1060 is everything you like about the X2, turned up to 10. The sound stage, sub bass, and mid bass are excellent, the mids are present but could use a dab of EQ, and the highs are crisp and clean, without ever being sibilant. To be upfront, some folks have reported having a bit of a problem with a ringing at 5khz, which I've gotten none of. I would say in answer to your question that yes, the M1060 definitely have something to offer you, and I'm curious to see what you think of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back