Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jul 22, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #4,951 of 8,051
Just use this graph and make changes according to the stock frequency response.

Things like ringing and decay can't be replicated but you should at least get an idea of how it will sound.

Does the type of paper make a difference? Currently using the blue shop towel paper. Wanted to find something in black.

Jul 22, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #4,952 of 8,051
I'm not sure. I mean, it will make a difference depending on thickness and how dense it is but to what degree, I'm not sure. I used Bounty Select-A-Size paper towel with a 3 inch diameter. You could start with that and then try black party napkins and see if the effect is the same. I no longer have the M1060 in my possession so I can't take measurements.

Jul 22, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #4,953 of 8,051
Does the type of paper make a difference? Currently using the blue shop towel paper. Wanted to find something in black.
I think the type of paper does make a difference. The blue shop towel has a more dramatic effect to my ears, makes things stand out more. But it also makes the headphones sound a little closed. I read a few posts awhile back from a couple people who did not like the shiny black party napkins. Another one from somebody who liked toilet paper. And others are using coffee filters. At least for now, I took the paper towel out. cskippy developed the mod to compensate for something about the vegans, but I'm using the Audeze lambskins, so it's hard to tell whether it even needs a mod. I decided that I like the lambskins as is, without any additional modding.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #4,954 of 8,051
I think the type of paper does make a difference. The blue shop towel has a more dramatic effect to my ears, makes things stand out more. But it also makes the headphones sound a little closed. I read a few posts awhile back from a couple people who did not like the shiny black party napkins. Another one from somebody who liked toilet paper. And others are using coffee filters. At least for now, I took the paper towel out. cskippy developed the mod to compensate for something about the vegans, but I'm using the Audeze lambskins, so it's hard to tell whether it even needs a mod. I decided that I like the lambskins as is, without any additional modding.

I have the (edit) Audeze Leather pads myself and I modded the mod. Instead of using 3" circular shapes of the bounty select a size white paper towels, I trimmed it down to 2" instead. I definitely hear more punch and tighter overall bass response. The mids seem just a tad bit recessed and a smidgen more in the background but nothing I can't put up with. The treble is enhanced just enough where they sound a bit more bright.

But.......

I also listen on Spotify Premium at present with Equalify Pro built into it's interface. These EQ well. I bumper up the bass 2.6db @ 58hz, dropped 3k about 1.7db which brought the ringing to a standstill, and raised 15K another 2.3db's. These are just singing right now.
The bass is thumping but it's fast and clean. It's getting close to the THX-00 PH's.
I'm really diggin this sound a lot with what the 2" paper towel and EQ'ing did to the sound signature.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #4,955 of 8,051
FYI, I read buydig is having a sale on these for $280 shipped, for those living in california, this is over $50 savings

Jul 23, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #4,957 of 8,051
All of these can be had for under $200...All are open... and the M560 are planar...
I am looking to get an open set that will allow me to enjoy Jazz/Rock occasional metal and techno...
M560== $189
DT 880==$199
HD 598==$169

...I know the HD 600 are $269 right now...but they are too far past my budget.
I listen to jazz from Hiromi-sonny clark- etc....rock alter bridge, Satriani, etc...

OR...If someone can recommend anything not listed, it would be appreciated.

Jul 23, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #4,958 of 8,051
All of these can be had for under $200...All are open... and the M560 are planar...
I am looking to get an open set that will allow me to enjoy Jazz/Rock occasional metal and techno...
M560== $189
DT 880==$199
HD 598==$169

I listen to jazz from Hiromi-sonny clark- etc....rock alter bridge, Satriani, etc...

Great taste in music! I love much of the same. Maybe we should swap artists in a PM. :wink:

I haven't heard the m560s, but people complain they don't have enough bass, which is probably just right for people with our musical tastes. :wink: I wish I could have heard them both before getting the m1060s, but I don't regret them at all.

Jul 23, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #4,959 of 8,051
Great taste in music! I love much of the same. Maybe we should swap artists in a PM. :wink:

I haven't heard the m560s, but people complain they don't have enough bass, which is probably just right for people with our musical tastes. :wink: I wish I could have heard them both before getting the m1060s, but I don't regret them at all.
I heard the 1060 are awesome...just out of my range

Jul 23, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #4,960 of 8,051
M560== $189
DT 880==$199
HD 598==$169

For those music genres, I think the HD6XX is really the best you can do at $200.

Jul 23, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #4,961 of 8,051
I heard the 1060 are awesome...just out of my range

I like to feel the toms, cymbals...upright bass....lol

Jul 23, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #4,962 of 8,051
Jul 23, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #4,963 of 8,051
Jul 23, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #4,964 of 8,051
You might also want to try silk organza, probably more acoustically transparent than most pantyhose, unless they are silk also, which will make them pretty pricy, $50-75 according to my GF when I used one of her good pairs by mistake

Did you manage to mod the outside foam away? Would love to replace the entire grill and the foam with something that can be less restrictive and still protect the driver from impact and dust... some thin foam hard cover with 105mm diameter and holes for screws would be perfect, but impossible to find.. :p

EDIT: Maybe I can replace the foam with the material from the stock pads..? It's thinner and may give more sense of air.. It's the correct size, too.

EDIT 2: haha I just found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fine-Tune-S...hash=item283ac6a317:m:mybWwi6Ike5P6ala2VfpQZw

gotta love ebay.. :)

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #4,965 of 8,051
I would like to express my gratitude to Lindsay from Impact Audio Cable, for his awesome work.
I just received a 2.5mm balanced cable for the M1060 which is a replica of the one bought by another M160's owner, and I could not be happier.
The craftsmanship is top notch, on par with my cables from Lavricables and Effect Audio.
Do yourself a favour, if you really want to know what your M1060 is capable of, and buy a new cable.
I now realise how veiled and dull these headphones sound with the manufacturer poor quality cable.
2j5xeaf.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back