Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jul 17, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #4,892 of 8,051
Sorry you had trouble when bought through Newegg, but when buying through Monoprice their support is always great. They can be a little slow at times, but they always make good on what you need in my experience.

Well now I need to wait 3-7 business days for Newegg to get a hold of the seller and try to resolve the issue. Meanwhile I am stuck with a pair of headphones that are a massive disappointment. First time I ever needed to return something on Newegg and it's become a real pain because of the marketplace BS.

Jul 17, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #4,893 of 8,051
Hello Everyone! My audeze vegan pad order was cancelled. Are there any other comparable velour pads that are compatible with the m1060? I LOVE these headphones but I definitely would like a little more comfortable pads to install. Thanks
I haven't had a chance to try the vegans either but I've tried half a dozen different velour pads and the best one by far is the HiFiMAN Velpad (NOT the velour pad). They're $15, angled, comfortable, fits great, reduces the ringing significantly, smooths out the peaks but makes the treble a bit brighter. The brightness can be solved using cskippy's paper towel mod but it does reduce bass quantity somewhat. You need to clip off the mounting tabs using nail clippers or something similar but I can't recommend them enough.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #4,894 of 8,051
I've haven't had a chance to try the vegans either but I've tried half a dozen different velour pads and the best one by far is the HiFiMAN Velpad (NOT the velour pad). They're $15, angled, fits great, reduces the ringing significantly, smooths out the peaks but makes the treble a bit brighter. The brightness can be solved using cskippy's paper towel mod but it does reduce bass quantity somewhat. You need to clip off the mounting tabs using nail clippers or something similar but I can't recommend them enough.
Thanks PockyG, I will give them a shot.

Jul 17, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #4,895 of 8,051
Well now I need to wait 3-7 business days for Newegg to get a hold of the seller and try to resolve the issue. Meanwhile I am stuck with a pair of headphones that are a massive disappointment. First time I ever needed to return something on Newegg and it's become a real pain because of the marketplace BS.

Ah sucks you didn't like the M1060. Any particular reason? And I had to contact Monoprice's customer support and they were quick and great. I never know how those 3rd party selling policies work, but I do think it is much trickier working out returns when not buying directly from the manufacturer. It does make sense that Newegg should be the one to handle the return though as they are the ones that took your money. Newegg is a well known big company so I imagine they should get it sorted out for you.

Jul 17, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #4,896 of 8,051
The brightness can be solved using cskippy's paper towel mod but it does reduce bass quantity somewhat. You need to clip off the mounting tabs using nail clippers or something similar but I can't recommend them enough.

weird that you have that impression; cskippy mod increases both treble and bass, as shown in multiple tests.

Jul 17, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #4,897 of 8,051
weird that you have that impression; cskippy mod increases both treble and bass, as shown in multiple tests.
I know it's weird since cskippy said it would increase both so I was a bit perplexed as well. I could only go off my ears right now with the Velpad. One side with just foam and the other with the paper towel mod. Paper towel definitely sounds smoother and relaxed to me with less energy on both bass and treble. I can't explain it. The circle is a bit larger than 3" at around 3.2" though.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #4,898 of 8,051
I know it's weird since cskippy said it would increase both so I was a bit perplexed as well. I could only go off my ears right now with the Velpad. One side with just foam and the other with the paper towel mod. Paper towel definitely sounds smoother and relaxed to me with less energy on both bass and treble. I can't explain it. The circle is a bit larger than 3" at around 3.2" though.

Hmm I think cskippy told someone else a lot earlier in this thread to specifically not do comparisons with each ear modded differently. I have to agree as I think that just confuses everything and our brain has a hard time with lateralized perceptual difference (source: am neuroscientist). It is probably better to try one mod at a time on both ears for an extended time and then try another one separately and compare. Cskippy also mentioned that changing the diameter size of the paper towels involves finding a sweet spot to your taste as there is a balance of how much grill reflections will be left uncovered.

Jul 17, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #4,899 of 8,051
Hmm I think cskippy told someone else a lot earlier in this thread to specifically not do comparisons with each ear modded differently. I have to agree as I think that just confuses everything and our brain has a hard time with lateralized perceptual difference (source: am neuroscientist). It is probably better to try one mod at a time on both ears for an extended time and then try another one separately and compare. Cskippy also mentioned that changing the diameter size of the paper towels involves finding a sweet spot to your taste as there is a balance of how much grill reflections will be left uncovered.
This is only my super ghetto measurements that can't count for much but it's pretty much what i'm hearing:

Velpad + Stock Foam + Paper Towel
Muu2mqu.jpg

Velpad + Stock Foam only
cIiu9XL.jpg

Jul 17, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #4,900 of 8,051
Looks kind of similar to my Beyer DT880 pad measurement, Too bright for me but it might work for others.
9933030_l.png

Here is the Hifiman Velour pad for reference (not Velpad)
9933033_l.png

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #4,901 of 8,051
I think the best bet for pads are the Audeze Leather pads or the Dekoni pads that I measured, which were the DT series pad. The TH-900 Dekoni Sheepskin pad might be even better as it has a bigger ear opening and is angled slightly

Jul 17, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #4,902 of 8,051
Just went back to the stock M1060, after purchasing a new one (selling the other one – again). And I must say, after having grown into the M1060 for about a month -- which seems almost obligatory before making any comments or giving any clear opinions -- I really don’t find the modding as impactful as is claimed in here. The Vegan pads certainly improve upon the headset in both comfort and sound (reducing the sibilance). But it does neither of these two things so much that it's required to do the mod. The stock pads already give very good comfort, and the issue with sibilance isn’t there like it was when I first got the M1060s. Maybe it’s a result of me getting used to the headphones…I don’t know. Stock pads also offer better isolation and a bit more pronounced bass.

The reason I bring this up is because a lot of issues arose with pad rolling my first two m1060s. When you take out the stock pads, sometimes the filter comes with it, sometimes it doesn’t – this is uncertainty can't be changed or brought under control. If it doesn’t come off with the stock pads, you’re basically screwed in terms of warranty. Generally, the stock felt coming off, adhesive looking “used” or parts of the Vegan pads getting on the adhesive in the process, will make it pretty easy for Monoprice to see that pad rolling has happened, and will make it easier for them to void your warranty on basis of it. And I can assure you that as a newcomer you will end up taking on and off the pads more than once, as the Vegan pads themselves are so large that they float over (forcing you to carefully adjust so that everything is fitted perfectly).

The M1060s are fantastic “flagship killer” headphones as they are out of the box. I recommend the paper towel/coffe filter mod as the only necessary one; if you really care about keeping the vital 5 year warranty, as well as not spending an excessive amount (~$80) on Audeze pads. Even more so when taking the shoddy build quality of the headband, which I’m almost positive will not outlive the warranty period, into consideration. After a month of use, the screws are already screeching by the slighest movement.

EDIT: My comment above is based on my experience with the Vegan Leather-Free pads. I don't know how the Vegan Leather, Dekoni Sheepskin or any other pads are on the M1060.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #4,903 of 8,051
Definitely a little too bright with just the foam. But the paper towel mod, it relaxes the treble just enough to be fine for me.

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #4,904 of 8,051
Just went back to the stock M1060, after purchasing a new one (selling the other one – again). And I must say, after having grown into the M1060 for about a month -- which seems almost obligatory before making any comments or giving any clear opinions -- I really don’t find the modding as impactful as is claimed in here. The Vegan pads certainly improve upon the headset in both comfort and sound (reducing the sibilance). But it does neither of these two things so much that it's required to do the mod. The stock pads already give very good comfort, and the issue with sibilance isn’t there like it was when I first got the M1060s. Maybe it’s a result of me getting used to the headphones…I don’t know. Stock pads also offer better isolation and a bit more pronounced bass.

The reason I bring this up is because a lot of issues arose with pad rolling my first two m1060s. When you take out the stock pads, sometimes the filter comes with it, sometimes it doesn’t – this is uncertainty can't be changed or brought under control. If it doesn’t come off with the stock pads, you’re basically screwed in terms of warranty. Generally, the stock felt coming off, adhesive looking “used” or parts of the Vegan pads getting on the adhesive in the process, will make it pretty easy for Monoprice to see that pad rolling has happened, and will make it easier for them to void your warranty on basis of it. And I can assure you that as a newcomer you will end up taking on and off the pads more than once, as the Vegan pads themselves are so large that they float over (forcing you to carefully adjust so that everything is fitted perfectly).

The M1060s are fantastic “flagship killer” headphones as they are out of the box. I recommend the paper towel/coffe filter mod as the only necessary one; if you really care about keeping the vital 5 year warranty, as well as not spending an excessive amount (~$80) on Audeze pads. Even more so when taking the shoddy build quality of the headband, which I’m almost positive will not outlive the warranty period, into consideration. After a month of use, the screws are already screeching by the slighest movement.

EDIT: My comment above is based on my experience with the Vegan Leather-Free pads. I don't know how the Vegan Leather, Dekoni Sheepskin or any other pads are on the M1060.

I understand those concerns, but if I remember correctly someone reported here that in talks with Monoprice Customer Service they gave the go ahead that pad rolling was fine. I also think a number of people here have replaced the pads and ended up returning or RMAing (after reverting back to stock pads) them without issues. I don't know if anyone has ever reported Monoprice refusing to honor the warranty for any reason yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back