Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 27, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #4,171 of 8,051
Hi, has anyone here with M1060 also own Isine 10 to compare? I am tempted to get the Isine but if they are similar, I will skip since I can't find any local store to try...

iSine arrived today. I'd say there similar in that they deliver that fantastic planar bass, once you get the correct tip and fit, it amazing feat. Even though it's very open sounding for an in-ear, it's more intimate sounding than the M1060. I really enjoy that added intimacy and that wonderful low end.

At first I was a bit disappointed, but once I got the right size tip, watched the video on how to use the ear hooks and my brain adjusted.... I think they sound really really good. It like having a portable planar headphone in your pocket.

I have no issue owning both.

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #4,172 of 8,051
I am considering getting the M1060's eventually, but some have said that there is a peak at 5k, which causes ringing/shouty mids. Is this a big deal? I don't wanna mod these... (and probably can't, as the vegan pads are apparently discontinued) In that case, is the HD650 or HE400S/HE400I a better option vs the M1060's in stock? I mostly listen to Pop and Electronic. Also, i have listened to Zeos' sound demo on these and they sound great to me, but the sound is probably different IRL. I am also a bit sensitive to highs...

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #4,173 of 8,051
If you need sub bass, I would say stock M1060 is better than the other headphones you mention. I really like the HD650 and it holds it's own against ToTL cans especially in terms of plankton and sound stage, very much like speakers. Those other headphones have weird mids and treble which may or may not be a problem for you.

May 27, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #4,174 of 8,051
May 28, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #4,175 of 8,051
Sorry, it's an audiophile word used to describe low level detail retrieval, it's really astonishing how everything is so easy to pinpoint even in complex passages of music with the HD650. No other headphone like it except maybe HD800 and Utopia.

May 28, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #4,176 of 8,051
Sorry, it's an audiophile word used to describe low level detail retrieval, it's really astonishing how everything is so easy to pinpoint even in complex passages of music with the HD650. No other headphone like it except maybe HD800 and Utopia.
Yeah the imaging is pretty spectacular on 650s. Soundstage isn't that wide to my ears though. If I hadn't gotten ahold of my HD 6XXs I'd probably have a M1060 though.

May 28, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #4,177 of 8,051
Do the vegan pads, it gives them a warmer sound and smooths the treble, which is probably what you are hearing as "shrill". These aren't shrill after vegan pads + paper towel.
Yeah that seems like my best bet at this point. Figured I'd check here to see if there was a better option before buying the slightly expensive (IMO) vegan pads.
If I'm not mistaken the paper towel mod will make them M1060 a little more bright/harsh. It is mean to bring some of the highs back after swapping for the Audeze leather free pads, not to be used on it own.

Right?
From my test it seemed to make the headphones slightly less harsh with the paper towel under the stock pads.
Try the sorb mod on the 400's. It becomes a much improved beast. Order the exact sorb mentioned in the thread. It costs $8 and is easily applied.
I'm more interested in getting the best sounds I can out of the M1060 but I will definitely keep that mod in mind for the future of my HE-400.
That may be hard to do. The HE-400 has some nice bass, but the upper mid-range low treble is quite wonky. This was the reason for the Jerg Pads IIRC,,, tio try to tame the weird 3,5 to 7 or 8K mess.
I don't find the 1060 to match the bass in the 400 and it is much smoother overall than the 400. Other than the low bass, I kind of prefer the 1060 sound, even stock.

If you consider the 1060 harsh, I would think about a different amp/dac pairing. When I had the magni 2/ modi 2 setup I always found it to be on the bright side of neutral.

I still have my HE 400s with the Jerg pads on them. Thinking about it makes me wonder how those pads would sound on the 1060. I don't want to mess them up though to find out.
Yeah I've been very happy with my modded HE-400s for the past 3 or so years. They have been the best headphones I've owned.

If the magni2/modi2 set up is harsh maybe I'll try hooking up my Jolida JD801a tube amp to the modi2 and see how that combo sounds. :p

From what I'm seeing though my best bet is to get the Vegan pads then try some different filter set ups. I've read people are using felt or paper towel either underneath the grill or the pad or underneath both.

BTW thank you guys very much for the responses!!!! ^_^

May 28, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #4,178 of 8,051
Yeah the imaging is pretty spectacular on 650s. Soundstage isn't that wide to my ears though. If I hadn't gotten ahold of my HD 6XXs I'd probably have a M1060 though.
I'm in the camp of not wanting wide imaging in headphones as they are already artificially too wide by nature. I'm used to speakers set up in a equilateral triangle with the listener giving proper depth and width. All headphones exhibit wider staging than speakers but the HD650 is about the closest to my ears.

May 28, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #4,179 of 8,051
I just got my 1060s two days ago. Initial impressions. Let's start with comfort since I'm putting more of a premium on it now.

Is the 1060 comfortable? Well, what are we comparing it to? Are they as comfortable as the Bose QC? Not even close. The 1060s are big and bulky, somewhat heavy. Even clunky. Frankly, I don't particularly like how they feel on my head. Like wearing a tire around each ear. But things aren't that simple. Despite everything I just said, I don't find them particularly uncomfortable. The earpads are really soft and thick, and the clamping force isn't too bad. I just don't like the feel of their roundness, if that makes sense. It feels unnatural, like not the shape of an ear. I also feel that they don't seal sufficiently. I wish all headphones were as comfortable as the Bose Quite Comfort but, alas, that is not the case.

The 1060s are just comfortable enough for me to consider keeping them since I like how they sound. I'm listening to them as I write this, and they're making me happy. But I've encountered things I don't like. It's hit or miss. Some tracks sound spectacular. Others are leaving me unengaged.

One problem is that vocals can sound recessed. Lead vocals are sometimes positioned as if they were just part of the overall soundscape. Now this is by no means the case with every song. But it's the case with enough of them that you should keep it in mind.

I wouldn't say the 1060s have a wide soundstage. But partly as a result of the deep pads they do provide a sense of space that can sometimes result in an ensemble sounding a little disaggregated. Here are three tracks I feel don't sound too hot on these headphones. I listened to everything on Tidal HIFI.

- Bowie. "Young Americans." MQA version. Everything's separated, spread out. The bongos are on the lower right, Bowie a little higher up toward the middle, the sax way over on the left, etc. Nothing comes together.

By contrast, on my Sennheiser HD 280s Bowie's voice has much more presence. He sounds much closer to me. He actually sounds like the lead singer rather than just another part of the band. The song comes together on the Senns in a way that it doesn't on the Monoliths. On the Senns, the music is speaking with a single voice. It's true: the sense of spaciousness is gone. Things sound layered on top of each other rather than spread out. But you gain a sense of coherence that makes the music more enjoyable. The whole album sounds horrible to me on the 1060s. (As a side note, it's just remarkable how one and the same file can sound so different depending on what you play it on!)

- In terms of what I said about recessed vocals, that's also the case on "The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness" by The National. On my other phones, the lead singer's voice is beautifully deep with a lot of body and presence. Not so on the 1060s. He sounds far away with no heft or depth.

- Talking Heads. "Born Under Punches." MQA version. On the 1060s, the song is just lifeless. Everything sounds far away and inconsequential. Everything about this song sounds much closer and engaging on the 280s, which cost about a third of what the 1060s do. Now it could very well be that the latter are more revealing of the recording's limitations, even merciless. But here comes the twist. I'm playing the album now at low volume and details are really beginning to engage me on the 1060. Lowering the volume did the trick.

Here I am criticizing the 1060s for their vocals, but now I'm going to praise them for the same thing. While they can sound far away at times, in general vocals on the 1060s sound crystal clear. I have a much easier time understanding song lyrics on these headphones than on others. It's kind of a paradox. Not as close, often not as much heft -- yet clearer.

So I gave examples of songs that don't sound particularly good to me on the 1060s. That would not be fair if I didn't supply counter examples. The good news is that there's a heap of stuff that sounds amazing on these phones (never as good as it does on a good speaker system, of course). I listened to songs almost at random on Tidal and these are some that struck me as sounding particularly good. This is where the 1060s shine, leaving my 280s in the dust:

- "PHILOSOPHY!" by Baio

- "Malibu" by Miley Cyrus

- "Andromeda" and "Ascension" by Gorillaz -- just wow! on these headphones compared to my other ones. Listen to the smoothness of that voice!

- "Kissing Strangers" by DNCE

- "Ti Amo" by Phoenix

- "Never Let Me Down" and "Enjoy the Silence" by Depeche Mode

- "Titanium" and "Shed a Light" by David Guetta. This is semi-techno club DJ music, not something I usually listen to, but this kind of music sounds fantastic on the 1060s.

Although I no longer have my Senn 650s, going on memory I'd say the 1060s are just as good or even better with this type of music. I also love rock, but haven't listened to a whole lot of it on these phones yet. (The true test will be how they handle classical music, which is what I usually listen to.)

Right now, the 1060s are not headphones I want to marry. But they are headphones I'm more than happy to date. The more I listen, the more I like. Who knows, maybe with an ear pad change.

By the way, a lot has been said about swapping the pads on these headphones to improve the sound. Before I got them, I sort of rolled my eyes at that, but now that I have them I can see how swapping these pads might improve things.

Finally, I should mention that I'm listening to the 1060s just plugged into the headphone jack of my MacBook. It can drive them fine.

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #4,181 of 8,051
In my experience yes you can drive the M1060 using just a laptop/phone/etc., but adding an amp makes a much bigger difference than pretty much any headphone I have heard before. They are a totally different animal amped. It's shocking honestly.

May 28, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #4,182 of 8,051
Finally, I should mention that I'm listening to the 1060s just plugged into the headphone jack of my MacBook. It can drive them fine.

You're comparing a cheapo closed back Sennheiser (not their strongest area for sure) to an open back planar-magnetic headphone, running from the headphonejack off your Macbook. Not to say that's not okay, but you are really missing out on a lot, especially if you prefer the HD280's in some genres. Sell the 280's and buy a budget DAC/amp (audioquest dragonly v1.2 is where I began, nice starting point and the form factor is excellent), and you will never look back.

May 28, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #4,184 of 8,051
The M1060 has a slight depression its upper midrange compared to lower midrange, that's just its inherent coloration, which can make vocals seem less upfront, as other harmonics on instruments. Buying a dac/amp won't fix that. There are other planars to consider with more upfront upper-midrange, like the PM3 and Aeon. You can also EQ the M1060, due to its low distortion and extension on both frequency extremes, the M1060 takes EQ quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back