*** MonoPrice DJ Headphones 8323 Review ***
Jan 11, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #46 of 73
  I got these for my brother (9 years old) and he loves them.
I compared with my Ath-M35 and saw how they sounded darker than mine.
My brother then said mine sounded so bright.

nice awaken the inner dj in your brother

its fantastic starter headphone for your brother and but on the downside is that it really messes him up cause you won't find many bang for buck headphones/iems like the 8323 often especially in normal retail stores

half the time you need a credit card to get most of these underrated products

Jan 15, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #48 of 73
They could mess up his hearing also. These things are super efficient and can be driven to crazy levels.

I still can't believe how great these sound.

really? i'm not that familiar with over ears (the 8323 is the only one i own)

but just comparing the impedence (i should factor in the sensitivity, but oh wellz)

the 8323 is 50ohms

i used them on my fiio e6 at maybe 5-7 clicks, havent tried them on my iphone though

my iem collection
monster turbines 18 ohms
hifiman re400- 32ohms
vsonic gr07 be- 40ohms
jvc fxd 80- 20 ohms

i use them on my fiio e6 with ipod touch at 3 clicks or about 4-5 clicks on my iphone.

maybe its because their farther from my eardrum compare to my iems but still i actually found them less efficent (not really an issue for me)

even for my noontec zoro which on on ears, which i would think is even farther from my ears because of pretty plentiful padding but hell efficient (at about 18ohms) i cannot use them beyond 3-4 clicks on my fiio e6 on m ipod touch 

Jan 15, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #49 of 73
They could mess up his hearing also. These things are super efficient and can be driven to crazy levels.

sorry to double post but i think on just portable devices (no amps) even at max volume (which is really loud ofc, is probably not as loud as other more "portable" competitors like the sennhesier momentums, sony mdr 1r

my pair of 8323 broke after a year ( the hinge just broke slowly, to the point where the plastic is just tearing apart, and can not longer clamp on my head)

used them as throw around portable speakers. and put them to use when i shower and listen to some music. (i tried it on several times from 80-100%) and put them almost next to the shower.. couldn't really make out the music (i only listen to 320- lossless some 256kps but rarely)

but once i amped it, it was so much louder and clearer (not surprisingly)

but the point is i think his brother should be fine, they isolate decently so i wouldn't think he would turn it up. just make sure he makes a habit of listening to music at 0 and slowly move up from there. rather than just turn it as loud as he's use to and go jamming, which i find a lot of people doing (disregarding/ not knowing or caring the importance of different sensitivities and impedences for different headphones)

Jan 15, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #50 of 73
Using the great test results from Tyll, the Momentums have slightly better efficiency (0.022Vrms to reach 90dbSPL compared to 0.025Vrms of the Monoprice).  But this is at 1kHz, the Monoprice has much better high frequency content around 10kHz which will make it sound a bit louder.  Then when you factor in the source impedance of an ipad/iphone to be around 4-5ohms, the 22ohm impedance of the Momentums compared to the Monoprice 43 ohms, you will find them two to have fairly similar loudness when driven at the same levels from an ipad/iphone.

I'm just saying, at 4-5 clicks it leaves plenty of room to crank them up to be dangerous even without and amp.  With a maximum output of 1V from an iPhone/iPad, it that can get you to about 130dBSPL, equivalent to a jackhammer.  That's enough to damage your hearing.  

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #51 of 73
  Using the great test results from Tyll, the Momentums have slightly better efficiency (0.022Vrms to reach 90dbSPL compared to 0.025Vrms of the Monoprice).  But this is at 1kHz, the Monoprice has much better high frequency content around 10kHz which will make it sound a bit louder.  Then when you factor in the source impedance of an ipad/iphone to be around 4-5ohms, the 22ohm impedance of the Momentums compared to the Monoprice 43 ohms, you will find them two to have fairly similar loudness when driven at the same levels from an ipad/iphone.

I'm just saying, at 4-5 clicks it leaves plenty of room to crank them up to be dangerous even without and amp.  With a maximum output of 1V from an iPhone/iPad, it that can get you to about 130dBSPL, equivalent to a jackhammer.  That's enough to damage your hearing.  

thanks for verifying i didn't think they would that close in terms of efficency.

sorry after listening them again tonight on my iphone, i hover around 5-7 clicks on my iphone. but hearing that at max its equivalent to a jackhammer makes me worried  lol headphone exposure these days are good sight to see but i tend to forget that a majority of the population are just using it to zone out everything and cranking them out at ridiculous volumes to do that (with either poor sealing earbuds or just developed habits) 

too many times i see on youtube reviewers people saying things like "at max volume on my iphone/etc the bass distorts.... your not suppose to listen to music at max volume, if the drivers can't take it, think about your eardrum on the receiving end" but it seems like thats common 

i'm ranting but i think for people buying headphones and stuff they should really be educated about the effects of hearing loss as we see more and more people listening on their portable devices/smartphones

its a good point you raised bravo!

Jan 16, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #52 of 73

My brother NEVER turns it up that loud to hurt his hearing. He leaves it at 5/32 - 7/32 volume all the time or something without an amp.

Of course, he's only 9. I could buy him some more audio gear though, start up as a young audiophile. Hehehe.

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #53 of 73
You've already started messing with him
L3000.gif
.  He gets to experience what good audio really is, unlike most 9 year olds who are probably using $5 headphones from Five and Below.  Oh wait, that's my son I'm talking about.  I don't trust giving him anything more than $5 headphones as he always breaks them within 3 months.  
wink_face.gif

Man I wish I could have the ears of a 9 year old.  Imagine the high frequency detail they can hear.  My hearing is still pretty good (knock on wood), but while I stop at 15kHz, my son goes all the way to 18kHz.  I'm afraid to let him use my good cans, he might never give them back.  

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #54 of 73
You've already started messing with him:L3000: .  He gets to experience what good audio really is, unlike most 9 year olds who are probably using $5 headphones from Five and Below.  Oh wait, that's my son I'm talking about.  I don't trust giving him anything more than $5 headphones as he always breaks them within 3 months.  :wink_face:   

Man I wish I could have the ears of a 9 year old.  Imagine the high frequency detail they can hear.  My hearing is still pretty good (knock on wood), but while I stop at 15kHz, my son goes all the way to 18kHz.  I'm afraid to let him use my good cans, he might never give them back.  

My brother takes good care of his stuff.
My range goes to 20khz last time I tried to test myself.

Jan 17, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #55 of 73
I have a clone of the 8323. Whilst reading this thread I pulled out my Bingle "Denmark" B-850-M to give them a listen after a session with some very old punk rock on the JVC HA-S500 and these do not suck. Not much of a soundstage, instrument dimensionality isn't really there, instrument location is a fuzzy blob disc somewhere over there, but tone is warm and good and harmonically it's ok considering that I paid $24 for the pair. The 850-M compare favourably to the S500 and in fact share many similarities.

I usually listen to volume at 7am to 9am, but wanted to see how this scaled up so on Shoot to Thrill by AC/DC I got them as high as 12 noon before my ears said 'enough'. The headphones could hand the volume, my ears could not.

I put my valve amp up up to 5pm, max volume, with the cans off my head sitting on the shelf. Clear and clean like a speaker. I never listen to anything above 10am when I have the cans on my head, so this was waaaay louder than I would ever listen.

So, yeah, these would be a great pair of cans to rock out to at maximum volumes.

Don't expect any finesse or subtlety, however. :cool:

Jan 17, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #57 of 73
A very small one. The hole is 2mm in diametre, no more than a pin-hole actually, that is at the base of that larger hole you see.

It's mostly decorative. Covering it with my finger makes no change to the sound.

Jan 17, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #58 of 73
My brother takes good care of his stuff.
My range goes to 20khz last time I tried to test myself.

Two ways to test this:

1) Extend your arms away from your body to the sides, holding them parallel to the floor level with your shoulders. Rub your index finger and thumb together. If you can hear the sound of skin swishing, your upper range is still good. Doing this in your car to isolate noise is best.

2) Find an old TV monitor, a tube CRT lined with lead, one of those big huge heavy clunky things. Make sure that it has been off for many hours and it is cold. In a quiet room, plug it in and power it on. If your hearing is good you will hear the fly back/LOPT transformer spool up through the audible range as it heads to 50khz. This begins at 14k and goes up from there.

One of the reasons I believe babies cry so much is that they can hear what we cannot. When their hearing is cooked off and they can no longer hear the 18k-23khz harmonics that are everywhere, they stop crying.

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #59 of 73
Two ways to test this:

1) Extend your arms away from your body to the sides, holding them parallel to the floor level with your shoulders. Rub your index finger and thumb together. If you can hear the sound of skin swishing, your upper range is still good. Doing this in your car to isolate noise is best.

2) Find an old TV monitor, a tube CRT lined with lead, one of those big huge heavy clunky things. Make sure that it has been off for many hours and it is cold. In a quiet room, plug it in and power it on. If your hearing is good you will hear the fly back/LOPT transformer spool up through the audible range as it heads to 50khz. This begins at 14k and goes up from there.

One of the reasons I believe babies cry so much is that they can hear what we cannot. When their hearing is cooked off and they can no longer hear the 18k-23khz harmonics that are everywhere, they stop crying.

I tested myself using 1. and I could hear that. I would we if high range hearing is even useful.

Jan 17, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #60 of 73
Two ways to test this:

i dunno about #1 my hands are very soft (i use moisturizors all the time) not something brag on headfi so i would imagine if your hands are dry you can easily hear it though 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back