Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Apr 25, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #76 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that this is the second bombshell in less then two weeks, CanJam sounds like its going to be the blast.

Indeed, I'm sure it will be.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 25, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #77 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well jazz, if you're not too starving Pete and I have been working on something a little bigger for the past couple of months.
It's not a hybrid, in fact it's all tubes and it's not for the feint of heart or wallet.
biggrin.gif

Anyone who wants to see or listen to it should swing by CanJam table 13. I'll be publishing the design when I get back and can polish the documents.

Are you talkin' 'bout this?

Apr 25, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #78 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you talkin' 'bout this?

Nope, that's a commercial design, the one I'm talking about is DIY.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just to be a wicked tease, here are a couple pictures of the project I lovingly call, The Menace.

The Power Supply (~50lbs of tube rectified goodness)
medium.jpg

The Amplification Section (6SN7 input, [2] 6AS7/6080/5998/7236/6528 output)
medium.jpg

I fired it up for the first time two nights ago, redid a bunch of the ground wiring last night and got about an hour with it before packing it up and shipping it to Florida this morning.

Apr 25, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #79 of 7,277
Wicked tease? I have another name for you, but it would likely get covered in asterisks!

It's a beauty, Nate. Very high drool factor in so many ways. I'm sorry I won't be able to hear it first hand.

Guess I'll just...get back to...being a Starving Student!

Pete, I'm sticking to the starving theme as much as possible. I need to order some caps from Handmade and Soniccraft for another project, but I promise not to drop more than a dollar or so towards caps for the SS! (Handmade does have a closeout page so I'll have to dig through it for SS-worthy components.)
icon10.gif

Apr 25, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #81 of 7,277
Damnit nate, at least you could start a new thread - 'Wicked Tease'...

Estimate on BOM cost?

BTW, me hate you long time. :)

Apr 25, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #82 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damnit nate, at least you could start a new thread - 'Wicked Tease'...

I'll do that this weekend at some point and sketch out the basic details. I have schematics but I'd like to polish them up a bit before releasing them to the public.

Quote:

Estimate on BOM cost?

I refuse to keep track of things like that, lest my wife some day discover how much this stuff actually costs!
eek.gif
Also, there's no reason that you'd have to use the power supply design that I did, you could save an awful lot of $$ doing a SS power supply. And I had a specific goal when I started this project that precluded using anything solid state.

Quote:

BTW, me hate you long time. :)

Aw come on, where's the love!

Apr 26, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #84 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll do that this weekend at some point and sketch out the basic details. I have schematics but I'd like to polish them up a bit before releasing them to the public.

I refuse to keep track of things like that, lest my wife some day discover how much this stuff actually costs!
eek.gif
Also, there's no reason that you'd have to use the power supply design that I did, you could save an awful lot of $$ doing a SS power supply. And I had a specific goal when I started this project that precluded using anything solid state.

Aw come on, where's the love!

You know you MY man - but, needs me some BALANCE(d).
tongue.gif

Apr 27, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #88 of 7,277
Guys, there are still a ton of these power supplies on Ebay. Try searching using the string "34-1977" which is a part of the part number and I'd bet you'll come up with a whole host of inexpensive options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back