Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Apr 23, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #47 of 7,277
This looks tempting. I'm thinking about moving a step up from my PA2v2, would this be a kick in the right direction? It would make for a fun summer project.
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #49 of 7,277
I don't know about you guys but I have little problem spending 35 dollars on an Epsilon-12 protection circuit as opposed to spending hundreds or more replacing fried headphones for the one time you forget to unplug them first.

Apr 23, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #51 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about you guys but I have little problem spending 35 dollars on an Epsilon-12 protection circuit as opposed to spending hundreds or more replacing fried headphones for the one time you forget to unplug them first.

Well - I didn't think about it, but Pete brings up a great point: apparently, it takes awhile for the MOSFET to start conducting anyway.

Holland has a good point, too - you may have to come up with a separate power supply just to use the e12.
wink.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #52 of 7,277
Oh I am intending to use the circuit in my SOHA build, not in this particular design.

Apr 23, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #53 of 7,277
I've got an old electronics box that had tube sockets in it already.. not the right kind though. I've discarded all the old stuff, but the tube holes are too big for the new sockets 1 5/32 inches vs the necessary 5/8 inches. How would you suggest mounting the sockets in such a way as to avoid drilling new holes?

Apr 24, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #54 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by fault151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh, how will i ever live with the ball ache of having to unplug my headphones before turning the power off?
rolleyes.gif

It's not that it's a bother to unplug them, but if you forget even once it's bye-bye headphones. =/

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #57 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not that it's a bother to unplug them, but if you forget even once it's bye-bye headphones. =/

Have you ever actually killed a pair of headphones? It's pretty hard to do.

I've done a lot of very bad things to many pairs, and so far only fried one pair of Grados.

I can say for certain that they won't stand 300VDC.

Pete

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #58 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by bperboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but the tube holes are too big for the new sockets 1 5/32 inches vs the necessary 5/8 inches. How would you suggest mounting the sockets in such a way as to avoid drilling new holes?

There are "hole shrinkers" available, often at places that sell tubes and tube sockets. They look like trim rings but fit a specific size (and the result is a smaller specific size.) haven't seen any for a while, but then I haven't been looking!

EDIT: Gah. Tried to go look for some but only came up with one good reference at v4tc in China:

Audio Catalog

Admittedly, though, these are tres sexy! I've dealt with him before and things do arrive...no worries!

Apr 24, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #59 of 7,277
this is so cool.

does anyone know of any places to source these parts in Asia, or is overseas shipping from Mouser still the best bet?

Apr 24, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #60 of 7,277
Regarding the Cisco power supply: specs on it look like 48V @ 0.38A. Should that PS be difficult to source (well, just in case...) would a 48V supply be okay @ 1A? 2A?

And, just to be sure: the Cisco is an AC/DC supply, is that correct? Pete's webpage describes the tubes as running on 19VDC.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back