Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.
Dec 30, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #721 of 762
In terms of display somehow I prefer the RTA introduced in the latest firmware, although all the available alternatives are useful and fun.

On a different note: I just got a W10 machine and successfully installed the latest drivers (v.3.20 from October 2015). Hilo works well even off a USB-3 port, including ASIO playback and WASAPI event mode. The Hilo Remote works well too (this is for those who are considering Windows upgrade but are concerned about how Hilo will handle it).

I managed also to configure DSD playback under foobar2000, but that's more "because it's there" than for the intent to use it regularly. I'm mentioning this in case someone is interested in some setup instructions - just let me know and I'll put somethng together. Searching the net I haven't found anything specifically for Hilo and f2k.

Jan 4, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #722 of 762
I'm just getting set up but wanted to post. I'll post a better picture later.

Oh, gear lust!

(except that the Hilo [still?] won't work with Linux which rules it out for me, even if I could afford)

But just one thing from the annals (reminder to self to check number of 'n's in that word!) of ancient audio wisdom: don't stack stuff that produces heat!

But hey, you probably know that, and these two things are just posing for the pic. Which is great :)

Jan 26, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #723 of 762

New firmware!

Version 7.0A  January 12, 2016

1. Fixed issue where RTA Meter page would not select correct input on power up.  
  2. Revised Chinese menus with new text for some items.
  3. Added support for year 2016 serial numbers and firmware.
  4. Added ADAT I/O to All I/O page.
  5. Added ADAT on All I/O to Show/Hide Settings popup. This checkbox must be enabled and the ADAT must be selected (output) or ADAT connected (input) for the ADAT I/O to appear on the All I/O page.
  6. Added Output Routing to Meter Type popup.  This allows for quick access to the Output Routing page and for the Output Routing page to be the default when powering up the Hilo.
  7. Updated About Hilo to show 7.0A application version.

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #725 of 762
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but what do you guys think is a significant upgrade to the built-in headphone amplifier? I have a pair of Sennheiser HD800s.

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #726 of 762
  I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but what do you guys think is a significant upgrade to the built-in headphone amplifier? I have a pair of Sennheiser HD800s.

Honestly, if you get enough volume out the HILO (and with the HD800, you should), I don't recommend spending more. If you're out for insurance and want a better-measuring amp, there are numerous options. HILO's HPA is limited to roughly 16-bit resolution, noise, dynamic range, etc. Not that most people listen at volumes that resolve anything close to 24-bit spec. 

I'm 100% satisfied listening to headphones through HILO. But, earphones are another matter. There's a bit too much noise in the signal. 

Feb 26, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #727 of 762

I have got Hilo + HD800 and I'm very happy with it.
I have OTL amp as well... it's slightly better but it costs a fortune.

Feb 28, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #728 of 762
I just purchased a balanced amp to pair with the Hilo. Pardon my lack of knowledge, could someone let me know what kind of cables I need to purchase and inputs I need to switch to make this happen? Feel free to PM me so I don't bloat the thread.

Feb 29, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #729 of 762
This depends on the amp model.
Assuming you got the Liquid Carbon, your best bet is to use 3-pin XLR cables with female connectors on one end (to connect to the Hilo line outs) and male connectors to plug in to the amp. You need two of those.

To configure Hilo, go to the Home page and select "Output Mix Routing Page". Select "Line Out" from the Output menu and make sure the input you use is highlighted in green.

Happy listening!

Sep 30, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #733 of 762
I'm currently on firmware version 6. Do you have to do the other versions to upgrade to version 9 or can I update from 6 to 9?

Oct 5, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #735 of 762

Version 8 Beta is out now and available on www.lynxstudio.com - check their support forum.

For me, it's really a major improvement, makes working with the touch screen easier and more straight forward.
7 was good, but this is great. Highly recommended to try.

The Hilo Remote on Mac is not updated yet, but it works with 8 ok.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back