Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 22, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #18,421 of 63,835
If I didn't already own them I'd personally be holding off for a while to await some consistency in impressions.

That's what I'm doing. I've managed to stay well away from the hype train, even in the face of Gearbest's tempting $19.99 price.

Except I'm also waiting for consistency in quality not just impressions. These QC issues remind me of the initial releases of the ZS3 among other KZ IEMs that had initial problems. Just like those IEMs, I expect KZ to correct the QC issues and possibly even quietly revise the sound, slipping in a 2nd version that will have all of the kinks worked out.

Good thing I have the K3 Pro to keep me perfectly happy until that point (or until the ZSR Pro comes out; whichever comes 1st).

The sucky thing about the ZS5 cable miswiring QC issues is that it also affects the ZS3 and ZST. I need to go back and check all of my cables on those IEMs (stock and silver plated).

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #18,422 of 63,835
Yeah, despite the fact that ED9 also had its fair share of build related issues with many units, it is in a different league compared to ZS5. I have nothing against plastic though, if properly treated, it is durable and lightweight. My se215 went through years of abuse and torture without a single mark on them.
On a different note, why so much glue inside ZS5? I just don't see any logical reason for it...

ED9 is still one of my all-time favorite KZs (specifically, my modded one). The massive weight is the only downside, but I'll take that tank-like build over every plastic-fantastic IEMs out there.

As far as the pound of glue inside of the ZS5; I can only assume they got a discount on a trainload of glue and wanted to put it to good use LOL.

Jun 22, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #18,423 of 63,835
scrambler et. al., a number of ali sellers are showing a
The problem is that people expect them to be built as well as they sound. It is obvious that KZ is about mass production rather than refinement, but that is why we get them at this price. So, there are units with wrong phase, inverted L-R channels, probably units with some of the 8 drivers not even working or not properly soldered - I suspect that this may be the reason why many praise its sound, while some don't see it as much better than ZST, and same goes about how the build feels, how they fit, how the memory wire isn't good etc. It is a small risk-high reward, and given that you can get them for around 20$ at this point, all of these issues are not worth stressing about until you receive a pair. I just don't see why they didn't make them 50% more expensive (30$ total) with better (original design!!) shells and at least some quality control. That would've been a game changer. There are <5$ earphones with better looking plastic seams, just saying.
in the abstract, kz should strive for better aesthetics and design, even if it added a few bucks to the cost. in practice, however, i wonder how much of a premium most less-fanatical folks would pay for the enhancements, given kz's position and image as the budget king. that said,i agree that there's no excuse for the qc issues, whether this zs5 is $20 or $50--it's ultimately cheaper for them to make these things correctly.

Jun 22, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #18,426 of 63,835
sorry--not terribly critical but is the "Kz ed" listed by a number of ali sellers the same as the edse or something different?

Far as I know the ED is a reeeeally old model. Released before the EDse. I was under the impression the EDse was the upgraded version. Maybe it's being re-released with new tuning? Never know with KZ.

Jun 22, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #18,427 of 63,835
Far as I know the ED is a reeeeally old model. Released before the EDse. I was under the impression the EDse was the upgraded version. Maybe it's being re-released with new tuning? Never know with KZ.

EDSE is the model with the revised driver and tweaked tuning vs the previous models.

The EDSE is one of the better KZ IEMs - a fun v-shaped "generic KZ" sound signature that is durable and comfortable. It's my defacto go-to when introducing people to KZs, giving as gifts, giving to kids due to the durability, etc.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #18,428 of 63,835
Makes it look nice is about all. I find the silver cable to be only slightly more durable than the stock one. Different cables don't change sound quality, especially unshielded cables like these.
IMO, stating as fact, may be inappropriate here unless it's referring to your experience to just this instance. Plenty of cable threads that differ and also agree. I would disagree but realize it depends on level of performance etc. Not looking to argue but wouldn't want newbies to think opinion as fact.

I'm tempted to buy a KZ ZS5 just to hear it. Seems impossibly cheap for what's inside and reviews. :beerchug:
Can anyone tell me if the bump around 2.3K is noticeable? It would have a glassy nature to the sound Looks rounded enough to be normal IEM bump for presence and not an issue but thought I'd ask. Also is they sound like everything is working well together, (PRAT) beyond just the response? Thanks

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #18,429 of 63,835
I've not heard anyone say the ZS5s sound bad and most comments have been very positive especially regarding the soundstage. A typical 'non positive' comment I've seen is that the ZS5 are 'not that big of a step up from the ZST'.

Most people would say that the ZST is a fairly decent earphone it costs about £9. For an extra £6 - £7 you're getting a better earphone than the ZST. Some (me) would argue a lot better earphone. Yes, it's big, 4 drivers with enough space to breathe that's bound to happen.

As for build quality, KZ don't just market to rich westerners. Chances are the ZS5 are priced to sell in China were salaries are far less, they're built to a price for a reason.

gift-horse1.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #18,430 of 63,835
My ZS5s just arrived today. I don't know how to look or listen for phasing issues, etc... I'm using the silver cables with the L and R pointed outwards. The ZST has made me a little bit more tolerant of sibilance so the ZS5 isn't so bad for me on that level. On initial listening, (less than 20 minutes) my impression is that these are something of a mix between the ZST and ZS3. Nice soundstage, but the low end is a bit more wooly and booming than I care for. I will try replacing the original tips with the wide bore spiral dots to see if that tames the bass a bit.

Jun 22, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #18,431 of 63,835
For the asking price, I must say that the ZS5 is truly a performer, especially the end to end frequency extension except for the wooly/blooming bass and high frequency peaks. The high frequency peaks can be tamed by tip rolling but unfortunately the wooly/blooming bass can only be tamed via EQ. I just ordered the revised colorful version of ZST and will compare it with the ZS5 as soon as it arrive. I've owned 2 KZ IEMs in the past eg. KZ EDSE and KZ ATE but I was not impressed by them until the ZS5 arrive. Overall KZ is moving in the right direction but they need to put in more effort to gain more respect eg. to have better quality control to eliminate the out of phase issue (I'm one of the unlucky owners of the out of phase ZS5). Sound wise, they'll need to retune the ZS5 for a tighter and less wooly/blooming low frequency and taming those high frequency peaks but still retaining the high frequency extension. When KZ gets these right, they will be the real giant killer. To be honest, they're not very far off. I'm sure with enough support, we'll be seeing a giant killer in the making soon :)

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #18,432 of 63,835
That's what I'm doing. I've managed to stay well away from the hype train, even in the face of Gearbest's tempting $19.99 price.

Except I'm also waiting for consistency in quality not just impressions. These QC issues remind me of the initial releases of the ZS3 among other KZ IEMs that had initial problems. Just like those IEMs, I expect KZ to correct the QC issues and possibly even quietly revise the sound, slipping in a 2nd version that will have all of the kinks worked out.

Good thing I have the K3 Pro to keep me perfectly happy until that point (or until the ZSR Pro comes out; whichever comes 1st).

The sucky thing about the ZS5 cable miswiring QC issues is that it also affects the ZS3 and ZST. I need to go back and check all of my cables on those IEMs (stock and silver plated).
Lucky me, all the zs5 I have bought sound the same to me.

Jun 23, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #18,435 of 63,835
For the asking price, I must say that the ZS5 is truly a performer, especially the end to end frequency extension except for the wooly/blooming bass and high frequency peaks. The high frequency peaks can be tamed by tip rolling but unfortunately the wooly/blooming bass can only be tamed via EQ. I just ordered the revised colorful version of ZST and will compare it with the ZS5 as soon as it arrive. I've owned 2 KZ IEMs in the past eg. KZ EDSE and KZ ATE but I was not impressed by them until the ZS5 arrive. Overall KZ is moving in the right direction but they need to put in more effort to gain more respect eg. to have better quality control to eliminate the out of phase issue (I'm one of the unlucky owners of the out of phase ZS5). Sound wise, they'll need to retune the ZS5 for a tighter and less wooly/blooming low frequency and taming those high frequency peaks but still retaining the high frequency extension. When KZ gets these right, they will be the real giant killer. To be honest, they're not very far off. I'm sure with enough support, we'll be seeing a giant killer in the making soon :)

I think the amount of bass is just right. I actually think the bass is the most major improvement over the ZST; there is much further extension. It's bouncy and fun.

This is a great test song for the ZS5:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back